Today I Wondered

The Web's foremost Forum Games place. Role Playing Games. Whimsy; here we let encourage you to run around with scissors.
Forum rules
The Web's foremost Forum Games place.

Re: Today I Wondered

Postby IamNotCreepy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:00 pm

jbobsully11 wrote:What does it mean to "feel like a room without a roof," exactly? And how would that be conducive to clapping?

Pharrell Williams wrote:It is metaphorical for one's space [without] limit.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby Twistappel » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:01 am

IamNotCreepy wrote:
jbobsully11 wrote:What does it mean to "feel like a room without a roof," exactly? And how would that be conducive to clapping?

Pharrell Williams wrote:It is metaphorical for one's space [without] limit.

The freedom to die of exposure.

You say "New World Order" "communist echo chamber" like it's a bad thing.

The TCSer formerly known as "Sister Morphine’
Twistappel
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Failed the Turing Test

Postby cmsellers » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:04 am

Twistappel wrote:The freedom to die of exposure.

Just one of the many great freedoms Justice Gorsuch will protect.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby cmsellers » Fri May 12, 2017 6:09 am

Why has Chris Chan not been offered his own reality television series? It seems like all you need to get one is to be an insufferable, entitled, trainwreck of a person, and Chris Chan has all that in spades.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:05 am

Should I tip attendants at parking garages in the city when I have to use them, even if it’s only for about half an hour at a time? It didn’t occur to me until just now (I’ve only had to park in a garage twice), and the internet seems to think I should...

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby IamNotCreepy » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:49 pm

jbobsully11 wrote:Should I tip attendants at parking garages in the city when I have to use them, even if it’s only for about half an hour at a time? It didn’t occur to me until just now (I’ve only had to park in a garage twice), and the internet seems to think I should...

I have never heard of tipping parking garage attendants. Most parking garages are highway robbery [pun intended] as it is.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:04 pm

Who was the first person who looked at a horse or a donkey and said: "See that thing? I'm gonna jump on its back and make it take me places."

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:11 pm

I think the likelier origin of riding is that domestic animals were used to transport burdens, which would often include infants or the elderly and/or infirm. People would have been "riding" in that manner as matter of course, and it's not such a great leap to use a sufficiently big and strong animal specifically for travel.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby Fun With Mr. Fudge » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:34 am

When a child utters his/her first word, and parents get excited or emotional, does the kid keep expecting that reaction? Does he/he form a false belief about what that word means or does to people?

Last edited by Marcuse on Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Whoops pressed edit not quote sorry!
Fun With Mr. Fudge
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: Jackbooted Hug

Postby Marcuse » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:39 am

Fun With Mr. Fudge wrote:When a child utters his/her first word, and parents get excited or emotional, does the kid keep expecting that reaction? Does he/he form a false belief about what that word means or does to people?

Generally kids experiment with noises and sounds extensively before they really make any real words. My daughter said the noise "ma" repeatedly for a period of months before figuring out it was supposed to be "mama". Even where kids do say something noticeable and get praise and attention for it, no sane parent is going to have time to reinforce that over time, which is what really settles kids' expectations of what a word or phrase brings. So for a short time they might expect that, but when they say it for the 100th time and only about 5 or 6 times have generated an especially positive response, they'll probably stop expecting it.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:49 pm

With the exception of Forbes and The Wall Street Journal, every website I know of with a paywall has a very porous one. On every website except those two, blocking scripts and/or cookies will disable the paywall. Blocking cookies makes ads worth far less since advertisers can't track you, while blocking scripts disables ads entirely on every site with a paywall.

In essence, every site except Forbes and The Wall Street Journal rewards me for running extensions which ensure that they cannot make any money off me.

So I have to wonder: why on Earth do the large majority of paywalled websites design their paywalls like this?

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby IamNotCreepy » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:05 am

cmsellers wrote:Who was the first person who looked at a horse or a donkey and said: "See that thing? I'm gonna jump on its back and make it take me places."

Reminds me of this comic:

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep

Postby Malfeasinator » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:33 am

IamNotCreepy wrote:
cmsellers wrote:Who was the first person who looked at a horse or a donkey and said: "See that thing? I'm gonna jump on its back and make it take me places."

Reminds me of this comic:

Spoiler: show

Probably started as an early caveman dare or "hold my beer" type stunt. Maybe not beer, but whatever nonsense they were making with alcohol in it back then. I'm sure the first successful "ride" only lasted a few seconds before Grunk fell off, and everyone had a good laugh about it.

Malfeasinator
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: this guy

Postby RatElemental » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:38 am

One of the earliest known examples of writing is a recipe for beer, actually. It was more of a way to eat wheat seeds that had already germinated, though.

Also drinking domesticated animal milk likely originated around the advent of agriculture, which is a bit above the level of 'caveman'.

Finally, in those days the way you fed a baby was breastfeeding or not at all. Once you figure out that you're feeding the kid milk, and that your goats do the same with their kids, it's not much of a jump from those to harvesting the milk of said animals for consumption.

You just started to
Read the Haiku that you have
Just finished reading
RatElemental
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:33 pm

If someone's phone was exploding would you even react? A person yelling out "my phone is blowing up" is likely to get met with indifferent stares.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

PreviousNext