Astrophotography--Holy fuck, that's above us...

What do you do with your free time?

Astrophotography--Holy fuck, that's above us...

Postby DrRinjswand » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:31 am

Greetings and welcome one and all...

I am an avid amateur astrophotographer... Are there any others amongst us...

This is one of my favourites, M42 in Orion...

M42 in Oriona.jpg
M42 in Oriona.jpg (354.62 KiB) Viewed 9645 times

Oh shi... Fu... What do I put here...?

*Frantically waves at everyone*
DrRinjswand
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Re: Astrophotography--Holy fuck, that's above us...

Postby DoglovingJim » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:48 pm

DrRinjswand wrote:Greetings and welcome one and all...

I am an avid amateur astrophotographer... Are there any others amongst us...

This is one of my favourites, M42 in Orion...

M42 in Oriona.jpg

That's amazing, so you took that picture yourself? What type of camera do you use for that?

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby Tesseracts » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:21 pm

C1D6AC8E-B767-425B-95DE-42B17D3655B6.jpeg
C1D6AC8E-B767-425B-95DE-42B17D3655B6.jpeg (215.93 KiB) Viewed 9586 times

I’ve always wanted to do Astro photography, but I don’t have any equipment. Here is a photo I got of the eclipse.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby DrRinjswand » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:02 pm

Hi DogLovingJim, Tesseracts. Thanks...

Tessercts, that is awesome, I'm well jealous that you got the eclipse, and that is a great photo!!

DogLovingJim, that is the result of processing a 'stack' of photos (a series of pics overlaid to enhance along with set blank pics to remove noise) taken with a Nikon D3100 with a 70-300mm lens at 300mm, processed in the DeepSkyStacker program.

DrRinjswand
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:09 am

DrRinjswand wrote:Hi DogLovingJim, Tesseracts. Thanks...

Tessercts, that is awesome, I'm well jealous that you got the eclipse, and that is a great photo!!

DogLovingJim, that is the result of processing a 'stack' of photos (a series of pics overlaid to enhance along with set blank pics to remove noise) taken with a Nikon D3100 with a 70-300mm lens at 300mm, processed in the DeepSkyStacker program.

Ah nice, so like you put multiple pictures on top of each-other with each like a different emphasis on colour right so together it looks all vibrant with colour? When it comes with pictures, what do you mean by "noise"?

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby DrRinjswand » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:02 pm

DoglovingJim wrote:
Ah nice, so like you put multiple pictures on top of each-other with each like a different emphasis on colour right so together it looks all vibrant with colour? When it comes with pictures, what do you mean by "noise"?

Not exactly DogLovingJim, you try to take a bunch as similar as possible so as when they are processed they bring out the weaker stars that might not show up well on individual shots. Some people do make multiple stacks taken through different coloured filters, then process them through Photoshop, but that's above my 'paygrade' at the moment.

'Noise' is basically regular glitches that affect the camera's sensor over longer shots. So you take a bunch of shots
with the same exposure as the 'coloured' shots, with the lens cap on so the sensor is shielded from any light. Then you get these stacked too and subtract them from the stack of 'coloureds' to eliminate false-positive sensor firings.

I hope this helps.

DrRinjswand
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:59 am

DrRinjswand wrote:
DoglovingJim wrote:

Not exactly DogLovingJim, you try to take a bunch as similar as possible so as when they are processed they bring out the weaker stars that might not show up well on individual shots. Some people do make multiple stacks taken through different coloured filters, then process them through Photoshop, but that's above my 'paygrade' at the moment.

'Noise' is basically regular glitches that affect the camera's sensor over longer shots. So you take a bunch of shots
with the same exposure as the 'coloured' shots, with the lens cap on so the sensor is shielded from any light. Then you get these stacked too and subtract them from the stack of 'coloureds' to eliminate false-positive sensor firings.

I hope this helps.

Well I'm certainly learning more with each question I make. So basically what you're saying with the first part is that you try to take multiple pictures of the exact same location and style (lets say for example 50 pictures) and sort of combine them, so that if one star was only visible on photo #34 and otherwise not bright enough than in the stacked photo it'd be on it?

And thanks, I appreciate it.

DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:26 pm

DoglovingJim wrote:
DrRinjswand wrote:
DoglovingJim wrote:

I hope this helps.

Well I'm certainly learning more with each question I make. So basically what you're saying with the first part is that you try to take multiple pictures of the exact same location and style (lets say for example 50 pictures) and sort of combine them, so that if one star was only visible on photo #34 and otherwise not bright enough than in the stacked photo it'd be on it?

And thanks, I appreciate it.

Gonna second DLJ on that one. Cool to know.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:15 pm

Noise is basically the grain you see in film. It's a signal processing term meaning "thing that isn't the signal" which (the signal) in terms of images is... the actual image.

The idea is that every picture is picture+noise. So 50 pictures is going to be 50*picture (since the picture is constant) + noise0 + noise1 + noise2 + noise3 + noise4 + noise5 + noise6 + noise7 + noise8 + noise9 ..... divided by 50.

Since noise is random every time (and the image+noise can be DIMMER than the original image, meaning the noise is negative), 50 noises don't add up into some super noise but cancel each other out and become a single noise instead. Which divided by 50 is a fiftieth of a noise.

I'll get some cool octave graphs later but I'm not on linux right now.

WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Grenadier

Postby DrRinjswand » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:26 pm

A Combustible Lemon- Thanks you put it a lot better than I did!

DrRinjswand
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:15 pm

in construction: also can't remove dice.

Last edited by Marcuse on Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No dice

WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:25 pm

double posting because the other one's infected with dice I can't get rid of.
I made a bunch of slides to show how the average of multiple noisy pictures ends up becoming closer and closer to the original as the number of noisy pictures goes up.

The first picture is Rincewind's original, the second is an example of the noisy picture you start with and the third is the result of the sum of all the noisy pictures in each series. As the number of noises increases, you can see that the actual value of noise in the third picture decreases continously. You'll notice at a 1000 it's basically just the original again.

2 images:

5 images:

10 images:

50 images:

100 images:

1000 images:

A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby DrRinjswand » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:53 am

Here are a couple more of my favourites for you guys...

Milky Way 1(b).jpg
Milky Way 1(b).jpg (591.03 KiB) Viewed 9334 times

This is the Milky Way, between Cassiopeia and Cygnus.

And...

Lovejoy1.1(b).jpg
Lovejoy1.1(b).jpg (173.28 KiB) Viewed 9334 times

The green dot just at middle centre is Comet Lovejoy.

Enjoy friends...

DrRinjswand
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:09 pm

I took several snapshots of the moon today (super blue blood moon) and you were the first bloke I thought of [well, technically the 4th person but you were the first who I didn't know in real life]. Anyway when I sort out which ones I like most I'll post them here soon.

(Did anyone else take pictures of the event?)

DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:35 pm

Figured out how Imgur works (wow I'm growing up) and now I can post some of them.

https://imgur.com/gallery/ZCqcj

DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep