Terrible songs

What do you listen to?

Terrible songs

Postby Tesseracts » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:23 pm

Post terrible songs here so we can hate them.

I already made a thread about least favorite music genres, and we had a thread dedicated to hating Anaconda which was fun. However I don't recall a thread specifically for posting bad music.

Last night I got dinner at Dave & Busters. They play a lot of horrible pop music videos on large TV screens. I was there for over an hour and the only song I enjoyed was a DMX song called Party Up. I think whoever chose these songs must have seen the word "party" and assumed it was another song about sex and drugs and not an angry guy robbing a bank or something.

One of the songs that stuck out of me as really bad is this one by Pitbull. The lyrics are mostly counting. The music video is a bunch of annoying words flashing on the screen and some hot girls who aren't actually dancing. I don't think Pitbull has ever done anything decent. I Googled this song discovered it somehow was a huge hit.

I don't think it's a secret to anyone that Avril Lavigne is terrible, but in addition to blandness of the music I was amazed by the cruelty of this music video. Avril (or some girl who is supposed to be a surrogate for her, I'm not sure) bullies some girl who didn't even do anything wrong. Why? Because this girl is "so whatever" according to Avril Lavigne. And by "bullies" I mean she hits her in the head hard with a golf ball so she rolls down a hill into a porta potty, and the porta potty falls over and she gets covered in shit, then Avril fucks the "whatever" girl's boyfriend in a public bathroom. What?

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Re: Terrible songs

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:50 pm

The worst song ever:

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby JamishT » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:51 pm

Ha! Jokes on you, I love "Girlfriend"! Is it messed up? Sure, but if that's the standard, there are SO many bad, but popular songs.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby Lindvaettr » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:24 pm

I like songs like "Girlfriend" because they don't really have any pretenses about being some great piece of artistry. It's a stupid poppy cheerleader song, and it's catchy and fun like the cheerleader cheers at basketball games.

Lindvaettr
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Lord of the Dance

Postby JamishT » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:41 pm

Lindvaettr wrote:... it's catchy and fun like the cheerleader cheers at basketball games.

And I'm on the bleachers
Dreaming about the day when you wake up
And find that what you're looking for has been here the whole time!

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby jbobsully11 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:21 am

Not to be that guy again, but repost.
JamishT wrote:
Lindvaettr wrote:... it's catchy and fun like the cheerleader cheers at basketball games.

And I'm on the bleachers
Dreaming about the day when you wake up
And find that what you're looking for has been here the whole time!

Spoiler: show

@Lindvaettr: I agree that there are some really fun, catchy songs to listen to that are nevertheless terribly stupid, but I never got into that particular one, myself.

"Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" - William Shatner, imo

(and check out his rendition of "Mr. Tambourine Man")

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby cmsellers » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:46 am

I've already posted this song before somewhere (I forget where or why exactly), and somebody got offended that I didn't like this band. But it's a really annoying, really catchy song by a band with a name that's too almost annoying to type properly. But I did anyways because I'm just that magnanimous.

tUne-yArDs: "Water Fountains"

This song is a European dance pop song I heard about three times in Turkey, which is three times too often. Warning: people who don't like profanity shouldn't listen to this, nor should people who don't enjoy shitty music.

And because no terrible music thread would be complete without K-Pop, here's the only song I can identify originally from my time in Korea. (Note that taxicabs mostly played Trot music, which I generally liked, but I can't identify any Trot songs particularly.) As K-Pop goes it's not actually above average, but because of the pseudo-English lyrics I could remember it and look it up, something not true of much K-Pop I therefore post it as an example of the genre.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby 52xMax » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:24 pm

jbobsully11 wrote:"Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" - William Shatner, imo

(and check out his rendition of "Mr. Tambourine Man")

Don't go hating on Shatner. He's the real deal. And also the real slim shady.

He's a rocket man too.

and he's not like common people

I genuinely like this version better than the original. Sorry, Jarvis.

This one's more of a guilty pleasure, but what's a captain without his first officer?

"When in doubt... well, don't ask me!"
52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Salmon the Wise

Postby iMURDAu » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:20 pm

I get knocked down.

But I get up again.

No you're never gonna keep me down.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby cmsellers » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:10 pm

I shared this before on a thread about national anthems, but I need to share it again, because the "national anthem" of the Bantustan of Venda sounds like a child trying to learn the recorder while a marginally more competent child plays the piano.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:39 pm

cmsellers wrote:I shared this before on a thread about national anthems, but I need to share it again, because the "national anthem" of the Bantustan of Venda sounds like a child trying to learn the recorder while a marginally more competent child plays the piano.

You know that the Bantustan of Venda will be declaring war on you now.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby AboveGL » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:50 pm

Lindvaettr wrote:I like songs like "Girlfriend" because they don't really have any pretenses about being some great piece of artistry. It's a stupid poppy cheerleader song, and it's catchy and fun like the cheerleader cheers at basketball games.

I generally agree with this. I enjoyed that song for a bit while it was out all those years ago.

My choice is Ashlee Simpson's "Pieces of Me". Why? Because it's torture, and it's for that reason I'm not embedding it.

AboveGL
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:30 pm

iMURDAu wrote:I get knocked down.

But I get up again.

No you're never gonna keep me down.

Pissin' the niiight awaayyy...

I actually like that song, but I don't think it's the best one on that album. (This is.)

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby tinyrick » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:47 am

You know how sometimes a band gets sudden popularity and another band comes along and has the same kind of sound, but is clearly derivative and also stupid. I felt that way after buying an album from Franz Ferdinand and having to listen to Kaiser Cheifs:

Edit: Btw, is there a separate thread for songs you know are stupid but you enjoy anyway? Cause here's my entry to that threat:

YEEEEEEAAAHHHHH!!! Tiny Rick!
tinyrick
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:12 pm

tinyrick wrote:Btw, is there a separate thread for songs you know are stupid but you enjoy anyway?

We have a guilty pleasure thread.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Next