[Game Adjacent] Romance of the Three Kingdoms OOC

The Web's foremost Forum Games place. Role Playing Games. Whimsy; here we let encourage you to run around with scissors.
Forum rules
The Web's foremost Forum Games place.

[Game Adjacent] Romance of the Three Kingdoms OOC

Postby Scarik » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:24 pm

Blatantly stealing Cpt_Funkotron's verbiage for the title. This will be our OOC thread for our Three Kingdoms Fate game from here on.

I will be working on getting character sheets up and visible as we go.

For now the most relevant information is that you are all officers under Captain Dang Fu.

Names are written as Surname Givenname (style name). In practice you will use each other's style names since you are acquainted and of equal rank. Inferior officers will call you by rank and surname, superior officers will generally use you given names without rank but if they are fond of you they will use your style name.

Wei Yan (Wencheng): commander of light cavalry platoon (Ladki96)
Du ZhiTeng (De Wang): company quartermaster (Kivutar)
Liang Ju (Junyou): commander of archer platoon (Cpt._Funkotron)
Tang Fang (Zibin): company paymaster (SandTea)

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Re: [Game Adjacent] Romance of the Three Kingdoms OOC

Postby Scarik » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:14 pm

Mantles

Warrior
Unique Condition: Wounded (lasting) [4]
-Check this condition to absorb four shifts from any attack. While this condition is checked, you have an additional aspect that represents the nature of your injury. If you’re taken out while Wounded, death is on the list of potential outcomes, as with the Doomed condition. Begin recovery from this condition after you’ve received healing in a quiet environment (in other words, not in the field), and someone has succeeded at a recovery action vs. Great (+4) on your behalf. You recover fully at the end of the next session.

Core Stunts:
Weapon Master: Pick one type of weapon (sword, sabre, spear, bow, halberd, etc). When making attacks with that weapon gain +1.
Incredible Skill: Choose one of Might, Prowess or Ride. Gain +1 on Overcome rolls with that skill.

Courtier
Unique Condition: Student of the Court: special []
-You are familiar with the ins and outs of politics. In your home court you easily stay abreast of the gossip, rumors. rivalries and affairs of your fellow courtiers. To maintain this status you are expected to attend regular meetings and events. Check this Condition if you are away from court for a significant time. Recover it when you return to your home court and have time to reacquaint yourself or when you acquaint yourself with a new court by making an Overcome(+4) roll using Etiquette.
While this condition is clear you gain two shifts on any action to reduce the time needed to arrange a meeting or audience as well as to uncover secrets in your court.

Core Stunts
-Diplomat: +2 to Overcome actions when navigating bureaucratic hurdles or making introductions to a hostile or indifferent authority figure.
-Curry Favor: Even away from court you easily find allies and benefactors. Once per session when you would mark one or more boxes of Indebted you may mark one less than required.
Scholar
Unique Condition: Knowledge (sticky): [][][][][]
Mark a box of Knowledge when you leverage the information you have gathered on the workings of the natural world and the history of the people as indicated in the stunts.
Recover through research in your free time, restoring one box between sessions.

Core Stunts:
-Foreknowledge: Once per scene you may mark a number of boxes of knowledge to declare you have an item or secret that will benefit you. One box is sufficient for common items or secrets (prayer scrips, names of local geographic features) three for those obtainable with some effort (a repeating crossbow, the family lineage of a magistrate) and all 5 for esoteric things (scrolls and books, the locations of legendary items).
-Natural Philosophy: Mark a box of Knowledge to gain +2 to a roll to Create Advantage or Overcome when your detailed, scholastic studies are pertinent.

Doctor
Unique Condition: Physician (special) [x]
-This condition is begins checked and represents you being known as a dedicated and skilled healer. While checked this gives you access to places and people that would otherwise be forbidden. This condition becomes unchecked if you fail to uphold your duties as a healer or misuse your status to do harm.

Core Stunts:
-First Aid: Spend a fate point to clear out all of a character’s stress boxes, provided they choose not to take action for one exchange, even to defend. You cannot use this ability on yourself.
-Skilled Healer: Given time and supplies, you can treat more serious injuries,allowing you to make recovery actions for others.
Gain +2 to any attempt to help another character recover from a physical injury condition, provided you are located at a safe, clean location and have sufficient time to treat the injured. If rushed or operating in less than ideal conditions, you may still attempt care but without the bonus. You may attempt this stunt only once per session for a given injury.

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:30 pm

For now please post in the IC thread about what you do while in town. You company is at rest and planning to head out again soon but for now you are among the 500 or so soldiers manning the garrison at Hangu among a population of 5000 townsfolk with all the amenities a town catering to the military has: brothels, gambling dens and even fancy tea houses.

Each of the military leaders always has a few of their favorite troops around since the platoon is a small unit but it still needs sub-leaders to handle 5-10 troops each. The logistical PCs also have assistants and a guard or two but they are less likely to get into brawls since they have easier access to where the higher officers hang out.

Oh, and yes, the troops have a tendency to brawl when not watched closely. They fight with other platoons over everything from drinking spots to money and who gets to flirt with the local girls. Weapons are strictly forbidden to the soldiers when not on duty though so they use fists and improvised weapons. For this reason there are many team sports played, the most popular of which is Cuju. It is considered by FIFA to be the most ancient know predecessor to modern soccer/thelessinterestingkindoffootball.

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:17 am

Also, let's make this easy on me and everyone PM their sheet so I can post it here.

Last edited by Scarik on Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby SandTea » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:42 am

[edited placeholder]
Tang Fang is a laid back dude.

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby Scarik » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:00 pm

I was formatting and decided using Roll20 would be easier so I made a game and have sheets going up there. I need you all to join the game so I can assign sheets.

https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/detail ... e-kingdoms

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:43 pm

You might want to review that link, when I click it it goes to an otherwise blank page that says "not authorized".

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:48 pm

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby SandTea » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:11 am

Goes to a sign in page. I guess we need to create a profile on there? I tried searching for 'three kingdoms' w/o a profile and don't think I saw it.

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:07 am

Point of interest, how much control do we have over our NPC's? Is it like Pendragon where the GM controls everything but the players, or are our entourages an extension of our characters? Because I get the feeling that Wenchang is about to get a teapot smashed upside his head via the bodyguard he just slapped, but I'm not sure if that's in my power to declare or yours.

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:20 am

The guy can try! His head will follow the teapot!

...so much for lecturing about remaining calm and level-headed ._.

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: =)

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:22 am

Just for the record, does Wenchang have any of his bodyguards with him? Because I haven't seen you mention any.

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:31 am

No, I'm stupid, and dismissed them, because I thought we had all got some time off. This was before I read this:

Each of the military leaders always has a few of their favorite troops around since the platoon is a small unit but it still needs sub-leaders to handle 5-10 troops each.

So idk. If I do have some guys around, that would be nice, but I haven't mentioned them at all :-/ and would be awkward to edit them into either of my posts

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: =)

Postby Scarik » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:24 pm

Wenchang is a mountain of a man, as agile as an acrobat and known as a master of many weapons. And that's before his rank comes into it. If he travels without guards no one is surprised.

In other news I figure I will occasionally dump so 'the more you know' tidbits in here as we go.

The first one is that there is no such thing as a brothel in the Western sense. They are all tea houses. They are called brothels when they are more known for their entertainers than their hospitality. If its a finer establishment it will always be refered to as a Tea House but the serving staff are all under contract (ie owned by the house) and so are available with the madam's consent.

At a low class place the madam simply consents to anyone who can pay for anyone they like. At upper class places payment is not the primary thing, reputation is and the madam is more discerning about who can take advantage of her staffs' many backroom talents. And in most cases she will only consent to allow an eligible person to have sex with a single consort and that consort will often then be reserved for some time.

Mostly that is to ensure paternity since high class patrons will be more likely to want their children and then the madam can sell the contract for the woman as a concubine.

Unlike a pimp the madam of a reputable place follows the custom that she will refuse any advance that the girl wishes to refuse. Within the bounds of the hierarchical system, of course. The more the madam likes a servant the more she will allow but eventually the girl has to consent to someone of she may find herself sold to a less reputable place.

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:35 pm

I have responded to Zibin. I will wait the rest of tonight to get a post from Junyou about the the messenger then I will move on.

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Next