CNN tracks down redditor, reserves right to reveal identity

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

CNN tracks down redditor, reserves right to reveal identity

Postby D-LOGAN » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:04 pm

Well CNN tracked this memer dude down and, they aint fooling around with him-

CNN is not publishing "HanA**holeSolo's" name because he is a private citizen who has issued an extensive statement of apology, showed his remorse by saying he has taken down all his offending posts, and because he said he is not going to repeat this ugly behavior on social media again. In addition, he said his statement could serve as an example to others not to do the same.
CNN reserves the right to publish his identity should any of that change.

I dunno, I'm getting a slight threaten-y vibe from that. As in-

"You fuck with us again and we'll dox your ass bitch!"

Not just yet, I'm still tender from before.
D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: ALL PRAISE UNTO MIGHTY KEK!

Re: President Trump makes himself an even BIGGER asshole

Postby Marcuse » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:36 pm

D-LOGAN wrote:Well CNN tracked this memer dude down and, they aint fooling around with him-

CNN is not publishing "HanA**holeSolo's" name because he is a private citizen who has issued an extensive statement of apology, showed his remorse by saying he has taken down all his offending posts, and because he said he is not going to repeat this ugly behavior on social media again. In addition, he said his statement could serve as an example to others not to do the same.
CNN reserves the right to publish his identity should any of that change.

I dunno, I'm getting a slight threaten-y vibe from that. As in-

"You fuck with us again and we'll dox your ass bitch!"

Funny how the media enjoys posting uncomfortable things about other people, but when it comes to them (and let's be honest, the Trump WWE video is silly) they're prepared to engage in the kind of harassing behaviour they'd usually complain about. I'm not sure how legal threatening to dox someone is, actually. Maybe they're hoping this guy won't have the money to sue.

'murica

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:31 pm

Wow. WTF, CNN.

You should have just ignored the gif and moved on. Now you look like a petty teenager.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby iMURDAu » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:09 pm

iMURDAu wrote:
Marcuse wrote:
As Mr Trump said in a speech lashing out against his media critics on Saturday night: "I'm president, and they're not."

Ladies and Gentlemen. President Trump, Head of State of the United States of the Playground.

CHEVY CHASE FROM WEEKEND UPDATE IS OUR PRESIDENT. It even happened on a Saturday night. I can't take any more shitty memes and poorly done references from someone who is supposed to be in a leadership position. EDIT:::::
And why. Why hasn't CNN replied to Trump's tweet with the IDK FUCKING FINISH OF THE MATCH? Maybe replace Stone Cold's head with their logo while he's laying out Trump with the Stunner? This shouldn't be that hard to do. How they haven't already done so is... hmmm. Wait. Maybe they're holding that for when he's impeached. K. Makes sense now. Just dox the guy who made the gif. That'll solve everything.

Good way to make Trump look like the gif he posted was accurate.

CNN has no shame and it's making Trump's point of them being "fake news". Don't try to act like the POTUS is a bad guy if you're planning on putting a random internet user on super blast because they happened to make a meme. The endgame of that scenario is? Ruining someone's life because he made a joke about your brand (and apparently a ton of shitposts/trolling/racist/sexist jokes) accomplishes what? Sending a message to the average person that if they fuck with CNN they'll be doxxed?

They're still holding him hostage with their whole disclaimer of things being subject to change if he doesn't abide by his FORCED apology. The article was bullying the poor bastard. The tone was basically: He made anti-Semitic jokes y'all! Don't you want to know where he lives so you can kill him, uhrp I mean wave signs and chant stuff at him? He was sooooo apologetic almost like we were about to ruin his life over a dumb gif or something HAHA!

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby blehblah » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:17 pm

The poster became news when Trump tweeted the thing, and when the official POTUS Twitter account re-tweeted it.

His first reaction was to brag, because POTUS tweeting a thing you did is pretty cool. How it got into Trump's hands is probably an interesting tale on its own (and the administration ain't talking). In any case, the poster quickly realized the problem, likely helped by articles which delved into his posting history, and he started nuking said posting history.

Kids - what you do on the Internet is just like what you do in Las Vegas - recorded from every imaginable angle, the good, the bad, the ugly and all, and for all to see. Anonymity is a myth.

Interestingly, the moderators of the sub-Reddit removed the apology from the poster.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/5/15923 ... -trump-gif

In a now-deleted post on Reddit’s r/The_Donald, Solo later apologized for his behavior. “I am in no way this kind of person, I love and accept people of all walks of life and have done so for my entire life,” he wrote. “I am not the person that the media portrays me to be in real life, I was trolling and posting things to get a reaction from the subs on reddit and never meant any of the hateful things I said in those posts.”

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/04/politics/ ... index.html

The apology came after CNN's KFile identified the man behind "HanA**holeSolo." Using identifying information that "HanA**holeSolo" posted on Reddit, KFile was able to determine key biographical details, to find the man's name using a Facebook search and ultimately corroborate details he had made available on Reddit.

On Monday, KFile attempted to contact the man by email and phone but he did not respond. On Tuesday, "HanA**holeSolo" posted his apology on the subreddit /The_Donald and deleted all of his other posts.

[...]

In his apology on Reddit, "HanA**holeSolo" sent a message to his fellow anonymous posters.

"To people who troll on the Internet for fun, consider your words and actions conveyed in your message and who it might upset or anger," he wrote. "Put yourself in their shoes before you post it. If you have a problem with trolling it is an addiction just like any other addiction someone can have to something and don't be embarrassed to ask for help. Trolling is nothing more than bullying a wide audience. Don't feed your own self-worth based upon inflicting suffering upon others online just because you are behind a keyboard."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/05/busi ... tweet.html

In another tweet, Mr. Kaczynski said the Reddit user had called him after the story’s publication and told him: “I am in total agreement with your statement. I was not threatened in anyway.”

The bottom line is, CNN would have done better to not include the line, "CNN reserves the right to publish his identity should any of that change." They could have kept it to, "We talked to the guy, and guess what, he was trolling! Wow! Apparently, it's a thing! And now he! feels! shitty! because! his thin veil of anonymity has been rudely torn-off! Holy smoking Jaysus!" Likely, nobody would have a problem with that. It doesn't change the fact that CNN does know who the guy is, and isn't telling... but it would change the fact that they know who the guy is and said they aren't telling, for now. In other words... it would change... erm... let me check... nothing? Oh, it would change perception, which is everything!

On the other extreme, to remove any perception of blackmail, they could have just published the guy's identity. "We talked to Chad, and he's really sorry, ya'll."

But, on the other-other side, if buddy decided to go public saying, "CNN blackmailed me, they did!"... oh, wait... the Internet is doing that for him.

Eh, screw it - reality is perception, yadda, yadda, the Matrix.

A quantum state of signature may or may not be here... you just ruined it.
blehblah
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Error General, Panic Colonel

Postby Aquila89 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:18 pm

iMURDAu wrote:
CNN has no shame and it's making Trump's point of them being "fake news".

No it isn't. Just because they act this way doesn't mean that everything they report on Trump is a deliberate falsehood. That's what fake news originally meant, before Trump turned it into "all news I don't like."

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:39 pm

The bottom line is, CNN would have done better to not include the line, "CNN reserves the right to publish his identity should any of that change." They could have kept it to, "We talked to the guy, and guess what, he was trolling! Wow! Apparently, it's a thing! And now he! feels! shitty! because! his thin veil of anonymity has been rudely torn-off! Holy smoking Jaysus!" Likely, nobody would have a problem with that. It doesn't change the fact that CNN does know who the guy is, and isn't telling... but it would change the fact that they know who the guy is and said they aren't telling, for now. In other words... it would change... erm... let me check... nothing? Oh, it would change perception, which is everything!

Or CNN could choose a hill worth of battling over.

I get they don't like the gif but all of a sudden two wrongs make a right? They got trolled by the POTUS, probably won't be the last time either, and it hurt so bad they went after a private citizen hoping to make an example out of.... something. So because assholehansolo or whatever is the one who makes the gif it's all FUCK THAT GUY! but leave errrrbody else from the subreddit alone because they're not actively threatening the CNN brand. Nevermind their possible shitposting habits, their trolling, and potentially their offensive posts.

To hell with investigating how this ended up being posted by the POTUS, we got our violator and we'll make him apologize or else! That's corporate journalism! Protect the shield!

And Aquila what about those already on Trump's side or on the fence about CNN how does this help them? They look like a bunch of bullies who hate Trump to the point they'll go after people who make gifs for fucks sake. True it doesn't mean everything they say is intentionally slanted against Trump but it sure the fuck don't help perception when it comes to those already questioning the media. Why give your opposition ammunition? What benefit has CNN reaped from this incident?

For years Jon Stewart would refer to The Daily Show as fake news. So does that mean since it was a self given nickname that it wasn't true? *whoakeanuface*

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:53 pm

iMURDAu wrote:And Aquila what about those already on Trump's side or on the fence about CNN how does this help them? They look like a bunch of bullies who hate Trump to the point they'll go after people who make gifs for fucks sake.

Well, not exactly people who make gifs; people who make racist and anti-Semitic memes. And people might say that the gif was not promoting violence, but the man called for genocide against Muslims many times. (I know, it's just memes, shitposting, whatever, I don't care.) If he just made that gif, revealing his identity would not have been a harm. The Internet is filled with people who praise Trump and bash the media without anonymity.

True it doesn't mean everything they say is intentionally slanted against Trump but it sure the fuck don't help perception when it comes to those already questioning the media. Why give your opposition ammunition? What benefit has CNN reaped from this incident?

None. But that still doesn't make them fake news.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby SandTea » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:05 am

If... sigh, my president is a dude who follows shitposters to giggle and retweet their shitposts, I would call that something the public might want to know.

I would like to believe that was the intent in finding the source.

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby iMURDAu » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:24 am

Aquila89 wrote:
iMURDAu wrote:And Aquila what about those already on Trump's side or on the fence about CNN how does this help them? They look like a bunch of bullies who hate Trump to the point they'll go after people who make gifs for fucks sake.

Well, not exactly people who make gifs; people who make racist and anti-Semitic memes. And people might say that the gif was not promoting violence, but the man called for genocide against Muslims many times. (I know, it's just memes, shitposting, whatever, I don't care.) If he just made that gif, revealing his identity would not have been a harm. The Internet is filled with people who praise Trump and bash the media without anonymity.

True it doesn't mean everything they say is intentionally slanted against Trump but it sure the fuck don't help perception when it comes to those already questioning the media. Why give your opposition ammunition? What benefit has CNN reaped from this incident?

None. But that still doesn't make them fake news.

If he just made that gif then like SandTea said the intent could just have been finding the source. But once they found out he was a troll they wanted to make an example of him. But, only him. I'm painting with a broad brush but I'm of the belief that he isn't the only person who has said awful shit online and thought none of it would ever come back to haunt him. I also believe there may have been others like him occupying the same subreddit but like I said in my last post none of them were threats to the CNN brand. That's what this is about. Not some noble quest to publicly out someone promoting hate speech. They gave absolutely zero fucks about that prior to Trump's tweet. To even say they're doing this for any reason besides being butthurt over a gif is really reaching.

And it doesn't make them fake news. To you. To me. To a lot of people. But we aren't everyone.

You can't go around stooping to doxxing people and act like you've got integrity as a company whose business is supposedly journalism. How would they like some of their sources to be threatened? Oh why it would be a serious compromise of their ability to report on things.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby D-LOGAN » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:25 am

sunglasses wrote:Wow. WTF, CNN.

You should have just ignored the gif and moved on. Now you look like a petty teenager.

I'd say it's more like a 1950s era Chicago gangster-

"Eh, nice life and career you got here, be a SHAME if someone was to, I dunno, reveal your identity and put your physical safety, family and livlihood at risk. Sooooooooo, maybe you never post anything we don't like again, maybe we don't tell the world who you are. Everyone's a winna!"

blehblah wrote:In his apology on Reddit, "HanA**holeSolo" sent a message to his fellow anonymous posters.

"To people who troll on the Internet for fun, consider your words and actions conveyed in your message and who it might upset or anger," he wrote. "Put yourself in their shoes before you post it. If you have a problem with trolling it is an addiction just like any other addiction someone can have to something and don't be embarrassed to ask for help. Trolling is nothing more than bullying a wide audience. Don't feed your own self-worth based upon inflicting suffering upon others online just because you are behind a keyboard."

Artists rendition of him making his apology-

D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:31 am

iMURDAu wrote: They gave absolutely zero fucks about that prior to Trump's tweet. To even say they're doing this for any reason besides being butthurt over a gif is really reaching.

Indeed, they didn't care before the man's gif was retweeted by the President of the United States. That makes him newsworthy, unlike all the other racist trolls. How many people posted anti-CNN memes - even before all this? CNN will not threaten to doxx them all.

But I actually wasn't saying that. I was just saying that he made his bed. If he just made that gif, doxxing him would not have been much of a harm. But he also made racist and anti-Semitic memes and called for the extermination of Muslims.

--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby D-LOGAN » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:39 am

God help anyone whose posted in the 'Things that should not be funny, but are (WILL OFFEND!)' if they ever find themselves caught up in the world of politics. Re-posting rather than creating aint going to make much difference to some, and the context of 'it's a page specifically for being as offensive as possible' aint gonna cut any shit with them lot.

Oh some asses will be bitten in that case.

I'd like to point out at this stage the only one I ever did on that thread was one making fun of gingers ... and they aint even really people ... so you got nothing on me!

D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:48 am

Dammit aquila I love you in that platonic way but you hurt my heart with:

If he just made that gif, doxxing him would not have been much of a harm.

That's not necessarily true. We don't know what potential harm may have come if he was Ned Flanders who made one out of character gif. Trump haters may still have harassed him, his employer may have gotten a bug up their ass and fired him, who knows. But c'mon we can't as reasonable people say "doxxing isn't that harmful".

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:10 am

I'm ok with violence against journalists if international news corporations that millions trust completely uncritically can now explicitly blackmail someone into an 'apology' and you assholes claim they just 'made a mistake' or "are being petty" by doxxing that guy. He could've fucking been swatted, he could've fucking died because some jackass reporter out there too hyped up on the "TRUMP IS LITERALLY HITLER" meme decided that a wrestling gif was one step too far.

I'm surprised you didn't quote the obviously damage control "he apologized before we talked to him" tweet as some sort of clincher, you're acting that deluded.

The fourth estate was a mistake.

WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Grenadier

Next