Better Call Saul?

What have you been watching?

Re: Better Call Saul?

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:13 am

I'm half-expecting chuck to just be in cage chewing on a severed human arm or something. The man's gone supervillain. deserves a bullet to the skull.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby Australia » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:03 am

"A little crooked" was so on the nose but I loved it.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:11 am

So,
Spoiler: show
Mike's sent the cousins to prison and is going to be under Gus's employ, Chuck's after Jimmy's license, and this lawyer show's going to actually get lawyer-y.

Good stuff!

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:58 pm

What I really like is...
...how Kim stands by Jimmy.

Poor Ernesto though. Fired because of Jimmy, and he thinks it's all his fault.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Australia » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:22 pm

cmsellers wrote:
What I really like is...
...how Kim stands by Jimmy.

We'll see how long that lasts. That's what separates this from shitty prequels. We know a last straw is coming, we just don't know what it is. Once the case is over, I can't imagine Chuck and Jimmy wanting anything to do with each other. But what's going to push Kim off the Saul train?

Also, it's really weird actively rooting against the brother we know turns out to be right, even if Jimmy's bad influence is how he's currently winning. But seriously, fuck Chuck with a stuck duck. I'm wondering if Ernesto is just the first in a string of many casualties in the Jimmy-Chuck war.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:26 pm

Australia wrote: But seriously, fuck Chuck with a stuck duck.

Did you ground yourself?

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:45 pm

Am I the only one here who doesn't hate Chuck? Yeah he's kind of a dick, but Jimmy actually gave him a serious mental illness so I can sort of see where he's coming from.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:10 am

Chuck is a resentful, elitist jealous dickbag who can't let go of the fact that Jimmy was the favorite, and that despite Chuck being a by the book, honest, professional lawyer, he's outshined and surpassed in the community by his charismatic, swindling failure of a brother while he is stuck in a darkened house, and is therefore out to sabotage Jimmy at every turn. The only thing Jimmy contributed to his psychosomatic EMS allergy was Chuck's built up resentment and shattered pride. And yet at the end of the day, he's right about Jimmy. And that's why he's so hated.
He's essentially a classical villain, the embodiment of both envy and pride.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:24 am

Deathclaw_Puncher wrote:Chuck is a resentful, elitist jealous dickbag who can't let go of the fact that Jimmy was the favorite, and that despite Chuck being a by the book, honest, professional lawyer, he's outshined and surpassed in the community by his charismatic, swindling failure of a brother while he is stuck in a darkened house, and is therefore out to sabotage Jimmy at every turn. The only thing Jimmy contributed to his psychosomatic EMS allergy was Chuck's built up resentment and shattered pride. And yet at the end of the day, he's right about Jimmy. And that's why he's so hated.
He's essentially a classical villain, the embodiment of both envy and pride.

I think you're seeing this from Jimmy's point of view. I sympathize with Jimmy but I see them from a more neutral perspective. I don't consider Chuck a villain. The only real villains of the show are the gangsters.

I don't recall Jimmy being the favorite. Chuck was resentful because his parents allowed Jimmy to develop into a morally crippled person. Chuck feels the need to compensate for his parents failings and correct Jimmy's behavior.

I don't know where you're getting that Jimmy outshines Chuck. The show makes it very clear that Chuck is extremely well respected, while Jimmy is a perpetual underdog so far. The only thing holding Chuck back is his mental illness, which, like I said, is strongly implied to be Jimmy's fault. Every time Jimmy does something wrong (pretty frequently) Chuck's mental anguish gets a lot worse. Other than the problems Jimmy has directly caused in his life it's hard to imagine how Chuck could possibly be more successful.

Jimmy's relationship with Chuck is not healthy. Jimmy has taken advantage of Chuck over and over again, and as a result, Chuck does not trust him. In spite of his constant failure to be a decent brother, Jimmy admires Chuck and wants to be like him, but Chuck sadly is not able to accept this and deliberately sabotages his career. This makes Chuck kind of a hypocrite, as he says he wants Jimmy to do better, but simultaneously he is an obstacle to Jimmy doing better. I don't see this as jealously, but rather fear. And in my opinion it's a fear that's justified by Jimmy's manipulative and dishonest nature. Ultimately I think Chuck is smart enough to know he's only delaying Jimmy's downfall rather than stopping it, and that's something the audience is also aware of. The real tragedy of the story is that Jimmy can't be stopped. Not even getting the perfect job was able to stop the spiral of self destruction.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Tue May 02, 2017 7:13 am

Well, Chuck done goofed. He's so sure of himself with all his scheming, he put the ball in Jimmy's court. Chuck said it himself,
the standards of proof for the New Mexico Bar Association are much more lenient.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby tinyrick » Thu May 04, 2017 10:44 am

Tesseracts wrote:Jimmy's relationship with Chuck is not healthy. Jimmy has taken advantage of Chuck over and over again, and as a result, Chuck does not trust him. In spite of his constant failure to be a decent brother, Jimmy admires Chuck and wants to be like him, but Chuck sadly is not able to accept this and deliberately sabotages his career. This makes Chuck kind of a hypocrite, as he says he wants Jimmy to do better, but simultaneously he is an obstacle to Jimmy doing better. I don't see this as jealously, but rather fear. And in my opinion it's a fear that's justified by Jimmy's manipulative and dishonest nature. Ultimately I think Chuck is smart enough to know he's only delaying Jimmy's downfall rather than stopping it, and that's something the audience is also aware of. The real tragedy of the story is that Jimmy can't be stopped. Not even getting the perfect job was able to stop the spiral of self destruction.

You summed it up perfectly. There's definitely a sibling rivalry situation going on. Chuck wants to see his brother do better, supposedly, but he certainly doesn't want to see his brother doing better than him. So he sets up roadblocks like with the Mesa Verde account. Meanwhile, Jimmy seems to be ok with screwing his own brother over by forging documents, but has a problem with his brother striking back. Only Chuck has the law on his side though.

YEEEEEEAAAHHHHH!!! Tiny Rick!
tinyrick
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Tue May 09, 2017 7:18 am

And thus, we have Saul. For reals this time. Just, ............wow.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby Piter Lauchy » Tue May 09, 2017 11:45 pm

Yay, Huel! :DDD

Also, Jimmy/Saul at his best. What a fantastic episode.

The Oatmeal wrote:Live life passionately and love everyone like they are family, because Jesus is always with you. Jesus loves you seriously bigtime. He'd hug you until your eyeballs exploded out of your skull if he ever met you. He'd windsurf across oceans of dead Nazis which he personally slaughtered just to tell you that your new haircut is the bee's knees. [...]
Praise Jesus, especially when it's sunny outside because Jesus would totally be cool with you praising while you get a nice tan.
Piter Lauchy
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Idk, someone give me one

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Tue May 16, 2017 7:15 am

So, it looks like Nacho
is going to induce Hector Salamanca's stroke

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Tue May 23, 2017 11:28 am

At first I was disappointed with the pace of the middle of episode, but dat ending.

I've started reading the BCS subreddit (I don't usually frequent reddit, but make an exception for GOT and now BCS after new episodes), and something interesting was pointed out:

I was wondering why Jimmy went through all that trouble to cost his wealthy brother a bit of money, however there may be more than money at stake here. The insurance company may find Chuck uninsurable, which would make HHM uninsurable as long as Chuck is a partner. Which would lead to him being removed from HHM. We've already seen how Howard is annoyed when Chuck does things that jeopardize the company, setting the stage for this nicely.

Personally, despite how dark this ploy is, I'm not really bothered by it. Chuck holds himself up as a champion of the law and truth, but HHM has been trying to hide his illness, which he still presents as an allergy rather than a mental health problem. Losing his ability to practice law on a technicality seems entirely deserved to me.

The worrying things are that A. Chuck might kill himself and B. if Kim learns Jimmy is responsible, that might be the final straw. In fact, given how the episode was set up, I'll be surprised if it doesn't at least severely strain their relationship.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

PreviousNext