I'm a Victim of Carpet-Bombing Online Harassment

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

I'm a Victim of Carpet-Bombing Online Harassment

Postby ZeCmo » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:25 am

http://www.cracked.com/blog/no-safe-pla ... arassment/

If you read the Zoe Quinn article and such, the content of this piece won't be new to you. What surprised me about it -- and led me to finally register here -- is that not only are the comments disabled, the article never acknowledges this. I've seen comments disabled before, but there was always an explanation given (usually with some 'cute' scolding line like "if you're wondering why there are no comments, you're the reason"). Have they stopped doing even that much?

Side note: if asked, the Cracked people would probably say they were preventing anti-trans trolling. Which would make sense except that the article performs breathtaking pirouettes to avoid mentioning that the author is trans...

ZeCmo
I'm new, be gentle
I'm new, be gentle

Show rep

Re: I'm a Victim of Carpet-Bombing Online Harassment

Postby Tesseracts » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:44 pm

Considering that there is a screenshot of someone who self identifies as a "Christian soldier" calling the author a "tranny faggot," I would say the article isn't avoiding mentioning that the author is trans. Her profile on Cracked also says she wrote for Transadvocate. They just chose not to make the author's identity the focus of this article.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby cmsellers » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:27 pm

I'm sure the comments would have been filled with transphobic comments. I'm also sure they'd have been downvoted to oblivion, and the top comments would have been supportive. Hell, this being Cracked, even if there's something genuinely wrong with her story, comments pointing it out would have been downvoted to oblivion.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Kivutar » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:52 pm

Maybe it was at her request and they were just being discreet about it?

Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Hosea 3:1
Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Great Librarian

Postby 52xMax » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:52 am

...and of course at the bottom of the article there's a link to her patreon.

"When in doubt... well, don't ask me!"
52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Salmon the Wise

Postby Crimson847 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:15 pm

IIRC the comments were up when the article first ran. Maybe her harassers found the article and started raiding it en masse, like they apparently do with everything else on the internet with her name on it?

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:09 pm

It always perplexes me how some people can just bet the farm with their sanity. Just, how people can be seemingly completely normal until the smallest, stupidest thing just sets them off and they're from that point on a raving lunatic. We've seen a handful of people like that come and go on this very forum. Hell, Marjan Siklic's start of darkness occurred when his parents "failed" to surprise him with a prostitute at age 14. Nowadays, on the internet, everything's a powder keg or a conspiracy, whether it's identity politics, literary theory being applied to video games (I'll never not be perplexed at the backlash against that), a tv character, or whatever. Something has driven these idiots to see anger as a virtue. They wake up screaming, go throughout their day screaming, and go to bed screaming, all the while chasing a single woman around the internet like a rape and death threat spewing roadrunner cartoon. Just, how does one get to the point where they have a Killing Joke-style breakdown because of, say, a random whiteboard eraser, or a tv show, or a disagreement about a video game, or whatever?

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby NathanLoiselle » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:06 am

I'd like to say I'm the victim of online carpet bombing but my virtual house is still standing in second life.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:30 am

NathanLoiselle wrote:I'd like to say I'm the victim of online carpet bombing but my virtual house is still standing in second life.

That's OK. Once you open the mail bomb I sent you your meatspace house won't be.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby IamNotCreepy » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:04 pm

cmsellers wrote:
NathanLoiselle wrote:I'd like to say I'm the victim of online carpet bombing but my virtual house is still standing in second life.

That's OK. Once you open the mail bomb I sent you your meatspace house won't be.

Great, like I needed to be added to another watch list...

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby sunglasses » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:00 pm

This is hardly the first time that Cracked has shut off the comments.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby NathanLoiselle » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:37 pm

You know what Zoe Quinn should do of course. What the answer to her question is. Its Miata.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep