Thor: Ragnarok (2017)

What have you been watching?

Thor: Ragnarok (2017)

Postby KleinerKiller » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:24 pm

I'm actually excited for a Thor movie now. Still a bit more excited for the Guardians of the Galaxy sequel, but this is a close second.

Spoiler: show
I'm not sure what I love the most about the return of Hulk -- Thor describing him excitedly as "a friend from work" (already one of my favorite MCU quips), the Planet Hulk armor, or just the simple idea of a no-holds-barred unarmed fistfight between the two of them. You just know that's going to be the standout scene.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Re: Thor: Ragnarok (2017)

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:37 am

Jeff Goldblum didn't utter a single "uh"? WHAT IS THIS MADNESS?!

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby Delta Jim » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:11 am

Delta Jim
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Not Very Notable

Postby Twistappel » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:36 am

I'm excited because part of it was filmed in my home town.

You say "New World Order" "communist echo chamber" like it's a bad thing.

The TCSer formerly known as "Sister Morphine’
Twistappel
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Failed the Turing Test

Postby Jack Road » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:23 pm

Jack Road
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:08 am

New trailer:

HOLY FUCKING SHIT THIS MOVIE LOOKS INCREDIBLE

Thor and Hulk are perfect. Hela looks to be continuing the new trend (after Zemo, Ego, and Vulture) of MCU villains not sucking. The banter is top-notch. The action is, excuse the pun, godlike (the brief shot of the two armies in the stormy sky legitimately took my breath away). Everything is so, so good.

It's both amazing and kind of sad that a fucking THOR movie is building more hype than the first big-screen gathering of the fucking Justice League, but hey, this is what happens when you actually take time with your cinematic universe and build to the grand stuff.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby Cobra-D » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:23 pm

KleinerKiller wrote:

It's both amazing and kind of sad that a fucking THOR movie is building more hype than the first big-screen gathering of the fucking Justice League, but hey, this is what happens when you actually take time with your cinematic universe and build to the grand stuff.

There was a Justice league trailer?

*remembers yesterday*

Oh yeah there was......did I like it?

*keeps remembering*

Eh.

The truth is like poetry, everyone fucking hates poetry.
Cobra-D
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: The Witty Flirt

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:41 pm

I liked "I just push people and runaway."

Oh sorry, that was the JL movie.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Australia » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:05 pm

This is objectively the best Thor movie, not that that’s a huge call. Thor and Loki have always been the best parts of the solo movies by a long mile and this feels like a plot that’s finally worthy of them. It’s not a perfect movie – it never takes itself seriously which is both its strongest and weakest attribute – but goddamn, is it fun. I think it's a few days before it's released in the US, so whatever you do don't read this sentence until you've seen the movie. What did I just tell you? Fine, then especially don't read the next fifty because I'm about to spoil all of the jokes.

The Good
Thor giving a recap to a skeleton kind of sets the tone for the movie you’re about to watch.

I feel like Earth kind of weakened the Thor movies of previous phases, so I was pleased to see it demoted to but a cameo this time. Also I recognised the city scene as a street only ten blocks or so from work so that was neat.

They really embraced Loki’s loyalty ping-ponging. I feel like he swapped sides at least a dozen times until he ultimately chose Asgard with an added dose of irony.

Everyone’s timing being off, from Thor smugly giving a witty action one-liner way before Mjolnir reaches him to my personal favourite, Bruce jumping out of a plane and faceplanting because the Hulk didn’t come out in time.

Thor’s hammer destroying everything in Strange’s place to get to the shortest distance between two objects.

On that, Mjolnir getting destroyed was a cool moment, but I think I enjoyed Thor refusing to grieve with any semblance of subtlety more, bringing it up more often than Odin’s demise.

They’re still referring to Loki murdering a bunch of people as mischief. That tickles me.

All the Revengers were great.

I love that Hulk, having been in form for two years, has the emotional maturity of a two year old, from tantrums to being easily distracted to holding a quasi-conversation with someone. And Thor playing Hulk and Banner against each other was fun. The only complaint I’d have is Banner being able to breathe once he comes out of Hulk form. From memory, Jane could breathe fine on Asgard but I would have liked a moment of Sakaar not being breathable to humans and Thor slapping an oxygen gadget on his neck or something. Could have been a fun gag that reinforces Hulk being the most useful part of Bruce Banner’s identity. And it could have come back at the end when Banner transforms and the gadget could spring off his neck and clock Loki on the head or something. Okay, that’s slapstick but this movie has Thor repeatedly throwing bottles at his brother’s head. I guess a lot of Infinity War could be spent in space so if they draw attention to the oxygen of it all now, it’ll be more noticeable when all the Avengers are just cool with fighting suitless in zero gravity or whatever.

Thor V Hulk was obviously a great scene. I still like Iron Man V Hulk from Age of Ultron more, but seeing a monster fight a God in a gladiator stadium is just ridiculous enough to work. I must say the fact that it was Mjolnirless Thor should have made it Hulk’s fight to lose but it would have been boring just to see Thor get beaten to a bloody pulp. And it was in the trailer but Thor considering The Avengers as his job is hilarious.

Speaking of, Stark’s command orders for the ship. I’m assuming Hawkeye’s ignition code would be ‘Useless Avenger’.

The Dark World play painting Loki as the hero. I know, very Game of Thronesian but the gravitas of Sam Neill and Matt Damon coming in for such stupid roles made it work. I like to think those are the real actors and Loki kidnapped them from Earth for this small a purpose.

PTHD Loki – “I have to get off this planet.”

“I don’t like the s word.”
“How about prisoners with jobs?”

“Once when we were kids, Loki turned himself into a snake. He knew I loved snakes so when I went to greet the creature, he turned back into Loki and stabbed me.”

The Bad
Hulk cock tease. Come on, reward the long time fans, don't taunt them by showing Hulk get out of a bath and not sear the image of a giant green (pulsating? Who knows, because they DIDN'T SHOW IT!) schlong into our minds. It's better to ask forgiveness than permission and most audiences are curious, damn it! Zero percent this movie, Rotten Tomatoers, and be sure to list this as the sole reason. So Thor 4skin will have a cameo of Banner banana.

Taika Waititi must be a Zeppelin fan because he used Immigrant song no less than seven thousand times in this movie. I get that it’s relevant, but dude, there are other songs.

I wouldn’t have minded comic relief after Asgard’s destruction but a joke during it just felt closer to Alderaan parody than a straight adventure comedy and undercut the stakes. The act of Thor destroying his home planet boiled down to a ‘it’s just a little scorch, it’s still good, it’s still good’ gag. I just don’t see them doing something like that if they ever have the balls to destroy Earth. Also second MCU movie this year where the heroes have to destroy an entire planet to save themselves. Still awesome to watch, just a tad derivative.

Really? They’re at a planet of lost things and don’t come across the last infinity stone? What a wasted fucking opportunity. I was sure that’s where they were going, considering the sheer length of time they spent on Sakaar.

Discount The Mountain’s arc would have been more compelling had he actually been killing on the orders of Hela as opposed to being on the verge of it. This is not a trilogy that’s shied away from redeeming terrible people. But I guess a regular guy beheading innocent women to learn the location of an object to avoid being annihilated himself would mess with the tone a little.

Thor shouting ‘Hela! Enough!’ sounded so much like ‘Hell on Earth’, I kinda wished they’d set that line on Earth even if it makes zero sense. It’s worth it for the pun to work.

Should Thor’s eyehole not be bleeding profusely? Regardless, I was pretty pumped to see eyepatch Thor from now on until I realised Tony could easily make him a cybernetic eye. Touch wood that it doesn’t go full Ultron, like a robot version of that movie The Eye. Side-sidenote, next instalment should be called 4 Thor Eyes Only.

The Ugly
Hela and Thor didn’t resolve their difference by learning both their dads were named… oh, wait. Gotta come up with something different in this case. Oh! That Odin scene was fitting and set everything up nicely but holy Skywalker, Batman! A young hero coming up behind a mysterious old figure at a cliff-face only for him to turn and reveal himself, not to mention the familiarity of said cliff-face? I guess it could be a reference to a Force Awakening within Thor but Jesus Christ that was distracting.

First decade of the MCU ranked: 2008-2017

Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2
Guardians Of The Galaxy
Civil War
Iron Man
Daredevil S2
Jessica Jones
The Avengers
Dr Strange
Daredevil S1
Thor Ragnarok (too fresh to decide whether it’s above Dr Strange or Daredevil. I think the visuals alone give the win to Strange and I feel like Daredevil’s action might squeak it past but I’m a sucker for space as you can tell from my top 2 so that could ultimately push it up a spot or two with time. It’s no Avengers though.)
Winter Soldier
Spiderman Homecoming
The Defenders
Age of Ultron
Iron Man 3
Ant Man
The Dark World
Luke Cage
Iron Man 2
Thor
Iron Fist
Incredible Hulk
Captain America
The ABC of Garbage (haven’t seen much but if you must have an order, Agent Carter-Agents of Shield-Inhumans. Just a coincidence that's alphabetical, that's my genuine half-assed opinion.)

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby Absentia » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:43 am

This movie was a blast. Easily the most fun I've had at a movie since the first Guardians, and it gets my vote for the best comedy of the year with or without superheroes. As a narrative it's far from perfect but I was enjoying myself too much to care.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:17 am

I watched this yesterday, and it was fun. It wasn't like...mind-blowing, but it was fine. I kinda wish I would have waited 45 more minutes and watched Suburbicon instead though.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby Australia » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:51 pm

Oh, good God, do not do that! Learn from my mistakes. Don't watch Suburbicon or Happy Death Day under any circumstances. Your brain will leak out of your ear.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby Marcuse » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:20 pm

I feel like someone decided they really wanted to make a new Flash Gordon movie but got told that they were supposed to make the new Thor instead. Generally, I think they tried to make each scene as fun as it possibly could be. I think that's fine (I personally liked the rockman revolutionary) and I definitely enjoyed the movie, but it can feel a little shallow in a series that's also trying to handle issues like losing a parent, reconciling with a wayward brother, confronting a sister who's evil and fighting her to the death, losing your faith in something, slavery, the end of the world etc.

I think Hela was a good enough villain, but I kind of felt like most of that came from a stupid mcguffin at the start of the movie where she was impossibly imprisoned by Odin until he died and he'd told nobody about her until then. I totally want an "Odin's care home adventures" movie too. Hela seemed to just want to do what she'd always done, which felt less evil than it could have because we had no reason to feel bad she was killing tons of nameless Asgardians. The solution was to have someone else do the killing, which was predictable because that'd been explained in detail at the start of the movie, but also didn't really demonstrate any growth for Thor. In a movie that's all about personal growth, to the point where Thor lectures Loki about it, he really only learns that the power was inside him all along. He ends up King of Asgard even though really Heimdal was the one who saved the people all that time, and Loki brought them the means to evacuate. All Thor did was get his ass kicked for a bit and lose an eye.

I loved the aesthetic of Sakaar, it felt like the kind of place you'd usually see turn up in a Star Wars movie.
In fact honestly it felt way more like Star Wars than TLJ did for me, which was surprising.
It reminded me of the old Saturday afternoon movies about spaceships and aliens I used to watch, and I can't say it does that job badly. It did however jar strongly with the LOTR lookin' Asgard and I found myself wanting them to pick a style and stick with it. Yeah yeah 9 worlds whatever, keep to one thing and do it well.

I feel like this is and was meant to be a fun popcorn movie. I cannot strongly fault it for being that.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby 52xMax » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:25 am

RIP Warriors Three, and the short lived redeemed Executioner.

I still haven't seen the trailers for Infinity War, but I wonder if there's going to be an explanation for Lady Sif's absence. That is an in-universe one, and not just that the actress is in a hit TV show, or that they already covered their quota for female heroes.

Looks like Jane Foster is done, since Natalie Portman doesn't really want to keep playing that role. But her character in the movies was boring, and at least this way we'll avoid female Thor for a while. If someone is going to take the mantle (and a new hammer), I'd rather it was Beta Ray Bill.

And yeah, I really liked this movie.

"When in doubt... well, don't ask me!"
52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Salmon the Wise

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:41 am

I've finally gotten around to watching this, and, it's bullshit! I mean, Jeff Goldblum only uhs , like, twice in the entire movie! 0/10!

Yeah, this movie's fucking great!

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Next