Death Stranding - A Hideo Kojima Game

What are you playing. Hands out of your pockets!

Death Stranding - A Hideo Kojima Game

Postby KleinerKiller » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:27 am

A trailer debuted at E3 for Hideo Kojima's first release following the Konami split. Like the tragically cancelled Silent Hills, it features Norman Reedus as its digitized leading man. Also like Silent Hills, it's intensely exciting while also being really fucking ambiguous, unnerving, and packed with partially unintelligible symbolism.

Also, this being Kojima, be prepared for lovingly-rendered man-ass.

At this point, nobody can even tell what genre of game it's going to be, much less unpack anything about its narrative, but I'll be damned if I'm not looking forward to whatever it is. It might not make up for the absence of Silent Hills or the truncation that kept Metal Gear Solid V short of perfection, but it could prove very interesting indeed.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Re: Death Stranding - A Hideo Kojima Game

Postby KleinerKiller » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:31 am

Hopefully the new trailer drop at the Game Awards can actually start some discussion on this, because damn it, I'm hyped!

We now see that the game will also star Guillermo del Toro himself (uniting the last piece of the Silent Hills holy trinity), and he has the baby from the last trailer, and there's some kind of presumably evil military blending modern gear with antiquated hardware, and more oil, and rainbows...

Spoiler: show
And MADS FUCKING MIKKELSEN commanding a skeletal soldier army.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:46 am

Konami has PES 2017 in the pipeline. And that's about it. Okay you can stop laughing now.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby KleinerKiller » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:27 am

I didn't even make a post about the incredible third trailer last year because of the bizarre lack of excitement, but WE FINALLY KNOW WHAT THE GAMEPLAY LOOKS LIKE KIND OF I'M STILL REALLY CONFUSED

So it seems to be a mix between Breath of the Wild-esque climbing and open exploration, stealth mechanics differentiated from Metal Gear because you can only sense your enemies rather than see them most of the time, and some kind of box-carrying system where Norman Reedus just hauls refrigerator-sized boxes and body bags around for unknown reasons. Also, something about how he can survive getting eaten by the monsters, but he shouldn't because it will cause a big explosion? I dunno.

Plus, two more celebrity reveals: Lea Seydoux appears to be the female lead, and Lindsay Wagner (heavily aged-down) is an enigmatic woman in a suit standing on the whale graveyard from the first trailer.

KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:56 pm

I really like the trailer, and the haunting atmosphere it portrays. The music fits really well. However, I too am incredibly confused. You use a baby to detect ghosts. You can rip off your own toenail, a feature nobody has ever asked for. I don't want to buy a PS4 for a game that is nothing but a bunch of pretty women saying a bunch of vague and inscrutable things.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby KleinerKiller » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:32 pm

Tesseracts wrote:I really like the trailer, and the haunting atmosphere it portrays. The music fits really well. However, I too am incredibly confused. You use a baby to detect ghosts. You can rip off your own toenail, a feature nobody has ever asked for. I don't want to buy a PS4 for a game that is nothing but a bunch of pretty women saying a bunch of vague and inscrutable things.

Now, now, this game also stars Norman Reedus and Mads Mikkelsen. So it will also have a bunch of pretty men saying a bunch of vague and inscrutable things.

KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:35 pm

I might be stepping off the Konami hate bandwagon.

Is this game ever coming out? Will Elder Scrolls VI beat it to market? Is it going to come out before or after the FFVI remake that was announced back in ancient times?

I fear the longer this game is in development the more niche it will become due to Kojima's personality.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Marcuse » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:53 pm

Looking at this trailer for the first time last night, I had important thoughts, which I will now share with you.

What the fuck was up with that baby ass logo at the start?

The water in that river looked like shit. It's strange to me that they spent all that time making the rocks and grass look photorealistic then have a river that looks like a model railway river made of PVA glue.

The world seemed really empty. Maybe they didn't want to spoil the really meaty locations, but I was looking around going "so what is there to look at here?" the whole time. The ruined city was a change of pace, but didn't really add anything special.

But that ruined city, plus the courier angle, made me think really really hard of Fallout New Vegas. You know, the one where you play a courier having to travel through a post-apocalyptic wasteland that's inhabited by natural and unnatural dangers. (I will add a disclaimer that this is Kojima so I'm not actually accusing him of ripping off Fallout, just that the game might need to work a little harder than otherwise to dispel those impressions.)

The game almost certainly uses the Fox engine, or a highly similar derivative, based on how the character moves. I'm all for that, I loved how MGS5 played using that engine and based on that alone I'd consider playing the game.

The female characters are completely inscrutable, and actually somewhat annoying. It's like we're supposed to recognise them or something, when really we can't given it's a completely new IP. I'm surprised they added scenes like that to a trailer, it's weird and annoying. Refractive umbrella is cool though.

The baddies are more or less just the mist unit of the Skulls from MGS5. They're inscrutable, implacable enemies who bring a weather effect with them and are so powerful that your character has to sneak around them rather than engage them in combat head on. Because we have so little information about them it's hard to feel very interested in them.

Lol baby scanner. I'd buy the game in a heartbeat if they made the fetus give a mini thumbs up when they're installed in the scanner. There seems to be some kind of time-travel mechanic going on with this too, they seem to think that the character won't die per se, but be sent back in time? I'm not sure how that would work in-game, but would be interesting if it was part of a kind of one-way time travel mechanic.

Otherwise, I have no clue what this shit is about. Looks cool, but I don't got a clue.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep