South Africa may not have a President in a couple of hours..

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

South Africa may not have a President in a couple of hours..

Postby Arkyle » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:26 pm

Dun Dun Dunnnnn...

As you may recall from this thread President Zuma is, well, a controversial character.

After umpteen failed motions of no confidence in Parliament (easy when you're the majority party), Zuma got ambushed at his party NEC meeting. Current vote is 34 - 30 for him to leave http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/developing-will-jacob-zuma-go-20161128

The irony? Our currency STRENGTHENED against the Dollar at the news.

To quote Justice Malala

President Jacob Zuma and his corrupt cronies inside and outside the government are now desperate. The decision to lay criminal charges against the former public protector, Thuli Madonsela, is just the latest in a litany of attempts to intimidate those who stand against the president’s lying and lining of his pockets with our cash.

It won’t save him. Nothing can save him now. It is merely a matter of time before the whole Zuma edifice comes crashing down.

As I write, the country waits to know whether Tourism Minister Derek Hanekom’s courageous and admirable motion of no confidence against Zuma, tabled at the ANC national executive committee meeting on Saturday, will bear any fruit.

If it doesn’t, another will be made until Zuma goes.

The truth is that our country is in a stalemate, in a state of paralysis.

EDIT to add: And we had this piece of idiocy today as well:

“It’s not true that Advocate Mkhwebane laid charges against her predecessor. Instead, she opened a case at the Brooklyn police station in Pretoria, requesting an investigation into the alleged leaks to establish if they amount to a breach of section 7(2) of the Public Protector Act,”

I'm sorry - can someone please explain to me how "opening a case" and "laying a charge" are different? For context, the leak she's "investigating" is the release of an interview by the former Public Protector with Jacob Zuma which proves he lied to the Media and his party about the interview. In addition, it's part of a attempted cover up of just how badly he's been corrupted by the Gupta family. If you want some hilarity, google #saxonwoldshebeen

Arkyle
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Re: South Africa may not have a President in a couple of hou

Postby sunglasses » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:09 pm

Oh my.

2016- the year the world decided to shake things up a notch.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Cordslash » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:25 pm

Oh Arky, you optimistic soul you.

Our esteemed president has survived having 784 fraud and corruption charges against him dropped, a rape trial, breaching his oath of office and contravening the Constitution.

No way will 30 odd members of his own party bring him to a fall, executive committee or not. He's managed to get as far as he is by being the most morally bankrupt and corrupt politician we've ever had, and his extended network of patronage has protected him. They'll do the same this time.

Still at last some of the inner circle are standing up to him, even though they'll get purged from government after this...

*The artist formerly known as CmdrVimes*

Hancock, John.
Cordslash
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Blackboard Monitor

Postby Arkyle » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:38 pm

Interestingly enough, he might not make it through this time round. Simply put - he got in in 2007 because he had Mo Shaik, Mac Maharaj and Pravin Gordhan as his team. They're the ones who got him in and formed the backbone of his intelligence network in the exile days. They're now actively plotting against him.

We'll see. Thing is though, a year ago the very idea that the NEC would even discuss this was unheard of. I do agree it's possible that he'll live through this, but at what cost to him? He can't keep fighting and, about 6 months ago, his NEC support was at a solid 75%. He's barely scraping 50% now, and he can't fire the NEC.Only the branches can. He can fire the MP's sure, but that doesn't take away the fact that they're still in the NEC.

PS: I need to be an optimist, otherwise I'd go mad. World seems seriously screwy right now.

Arkyle
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby Paradox » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:41 pm

As a Brazilian, I empathize with your pain.

[Signature removed for nonpayment.]

The artist once again known as Dox.
Paradox
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: True Neutral

Postby DamianaRaven » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:43 pm

Cordslash wrote:Our esteemed president has survived having 784 fraud and corruption charges against him dropped, a rape trial, breaching his oath of office and contravening the Constitution.

I feel so close to you right now.

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby Cobra-D » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:44 pm

Cordslash wrote:Oh Arky, you optimistic soul you.

Our esteemed president has survived having 784 fraud and corruption charges against him dropped, a rape trial, breaching his oath of office and contravening the Constitution.

No way will 30 odd members of his own party bring him to a fall, executive committee or not. He's managed to get as far as he is by being the most morally bankrupt and corrupt politician we've ever had, and his extended network of patronage has protected him. They'll do the same this time.

Still at last some of the inner circle are standing up to him, even though they'll get purged from government after this...

wait are you talking about the president of south Africa or is this a future post about Donald Trump?

The truth is like poetry, everyone fucking hates poetry.
Cobra-D
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: The Witty Flirt

Postby Arkyle » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:48 pm

Cobra, technically Zuma, but if the Trump shoe fits :twisted: :twisted:

Arkyle
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby IamNotCreepy » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:06 pm

Toy wrote:As a Brazilian, I empathize with your pain.

And as an American, I suppose I will as well, eventually.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby ghijkmnop » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:52 pm

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby Arkyle » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:00 am

ghijkmnop wrote:This is the guy that can't read numbers, and elicited a massive cheer when he was mocked in South Africa on The Grand Tour last week?

That would be the one...

Press conference scheduled for 2pm. It seems he may have survived - but by a hair. Amazing how loyalties shift when a) the money dries up and b) he has to step down in 2 years.

EDIT: Oh look, corruption continues...

Arkyle
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:49 am

Over a year has passed, and now the African National Congress is is telling Zuma to step down. Could it be the end, at long last?

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:20 pm

Zuma claims he did nothing wrong, and calls the demand for him to quit "unfair". He's apparently attempting to stay.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-43060759

There's a no confidence vote on Thursday, so we'll see how that goes.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Cordslash » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:34 pm

Marcuse wrote:Zuma claims he did nothing wrong, and calls the demand for him to quit "unfair". He's apparently attempting to stay.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-43060759

There's a no confidence vote on Thursday, so we'll see how that goes.

He's playing the victim to the end. Even vaguely threatening a violent uprising in his home province of KwaZulu-Natal, where he still has a lot of support. Mostly because of tribal loyalty.
It doesn't matter if he defies the decision of his own party. They've already said today that they'll join the opposition in voting him out of office via parliament tomorrow. And so a 9 year assault on our country comes to an end. Not with a president resigning, but having to be forced out. This is what he'll be remembered for. The man who sold our government entities to his friends and family. Who replaced any senior law enforcement official with his cronies so no high level fraud incidents were even investigated, and who made a mockery of a modern democratic state.

Of course if he resigns he gets to keep all of his benefits, like a generous pension, VIP bodyguards, a home and travel funded by the taxpayer etc.
If he's voted out he loses all of that. Not that he cares though. He and his family got incredibly rich by manipulating government processes in their favour.

Zuma's time is almost up. I'm keeping the champagne on ice.*

Ok, actually sparkling wine. I'm too cheap to spring for actual French champagne

Hancock, John.
Cordslash
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep

Postby Cordslash » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:14 pm

Double post. Sue me.

Against all odds Zuma just resigned after a long rant against his own party, with 1 hour to go before the deadline they set for him.
Woo-hoo!
At fucking last!

Tomorrow Cyril "Big Mac" Ramaphosa (current deputy president and new party president since late December) will be sworn in as new the president. He's called "Big Mac" by some because besides his extensive mining interests he's the chief franchisor of McDonald's in South Africa. Needless to say he's rich.
He has a ton of work cut out for him and his team.

But like I said about our neighbours in Zim just a few weeks ago: the asshole is finally gone.
Let us have this day.

Best Valentine's Day gift ever!

Hancock, John.
Cordslash
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep

Next