8%
A briefcase
8%
The first place you look
No votes

Total votes : 13

Fantastic Beasts And...

Postby Australia » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:28 pm

Fantastic Beasts And How To Become The Second Best Movie About Magic To Come Out in November 2016 (Or Brooklyn, only entertaining):

The Good
The beasts. By far the best moments in the movie were in the briefcase. The human characters were fine but we’ve seen eight movies about the magic humans in this universe, let’s focus on the titular characters next time.

The acting was solid. I really enjoyed Colin Farrell as the villain (maybe his best performance outside of In Bruges and Seven Psychopaths) and I don’t know why they waysided him as Grindelwald for Johnny Depp. They could just as easily have written around the fact that nobody had seen Grindelwald face to face in a Keyser Soze kind of way, because it wasn’t a surprise that he was the big bad everyone kept referencing but what do I know?

It was relatively funny. Too many jokes didn’t land, especially early Jacob’s confusion, because they’ve been done to death but they weren’t cringeworthy or anything. The banter and visual gags were quite fun.

I like to imagine the policemen trying to explain the amount of bullets recently fired from their firearms with no recollection of firing them to their superiors.

The Bad
Pairing up all of the characters in the first movie was so rushed, I didn’t care about any of their relationships (well, maybe Newt and Jacob, but I don’t think that’s what they were going for) and I think it would have been better served if they'd picked one and developed the other later, if at all.

So it’s strongly implied that Newt carries the black soul of his childhood girlfriend in a briefcase because she didn’t use her magic when she was young and turned feral before the age of ten. Moral implications of that aside, Harry Potter did not use his magic until he was 11 and he did not turn into a tornado of evil. Is that an exception for lightning-bolt scar kids because you can only have one storm-related anomaly at once? Seems legit.

Was there any struggle whatsoever? Newt just kind of dilly-dallied around solving problems he himself created like Homer Simpson.

Was the President supposed to be a social commentary on Trump as someone who clearly shouldn’t be President because she was terrible at her job. I would have preferred… whoever actually was President back in ’26. I’m gonna guess Taft. That was a President’s name, right? I’m basing this assumption on Simpsons references. Burns’ mum dated him. I realise that this is a different dimension from both ours and Springfield but you can’t have characters complaining about magical inequality when this era is 80 years ahead of its own time when it comes to women’s rights. What, a woman became President before she could even vote? Presuming this is halfway through her second term.

The magic. Look, the CGI was fine but Dr Strange set a new bar for what you can do with magic and this was pretty tame, even by this franchise’s standards. One of the cool things about Harry Potter was whenever there was something boring happening on screen, there was always magic stuff happening in the background. This movie, not so much. Whenever there were little magic things happening, like the strudel scene, they were front and centre, but in the expositional scenes, there weren’t any owls dropping letters or household items doing chores by themselves or moving staircases happening behind the characters.

The ending suffered from Return of the King Syndrome without the excuse of having to tie up loose ends. It ended in the subway and then it ended with the neuralising and then it ended with neuralising the main muggle and then it ended with giving the muggle his bakery and then it ended with Newt leaving and then it ended with the muggle getting deneuralised and it was like most of these people are going to show up at least one more time, why are you wasting time wrapping up their stories just to unwrap them next year?

The Ugly
They kept playing the music from Saw and it was really distracting. I was fully expecting either Grindy or Newt to end the movie by saying ‘Game Over’ to the other.

The movie was fine but after seeing some truly spectacular magic in Dr Strange, this felt fairly forgettable. And unless they’re going to mix things up a little and put Newt in a new country or universe again to keep things fresh, I probably won’t bother with the sequels.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Re: Fantastic Beasts And...

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:54 am

FB_IMG_1480067157472.jpg
FB_IMG_1480067157472.jpg (142.71 KiB) Viewed 2199 times

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:53 pm

Gah.

I thought the topic was fantastic beards...

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby reallifegirl » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:10 pm

BROWNRECLUSE wrote:
FB_IMG_1480067157472.jpg

Well, I know where I'm gonna be in 8 months.

"I can believe things that are true and things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not."

Encyclopedia Dramatica wrote:Reallifegirl: Is supposedly a girl in real life, but we all know that's false. Gets highest comment roughly 75% of the time, and has never had a single red-thumbed comment. Ever.
reallifegirl
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Officially allegedly female

Postby reallifegirl » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:59 pm

So the new trailer just came out:

Just a warning, this is me right now:

"I can believe things that are true and things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not."

Encyclopedia Dramatica wrote:Reallifegirl: Is supposedly a girl in real life, but we all know that's false. Gets highest comment roughly 75% of the time, and has never had a single red-thumbed comment. Ever.
reallifegirl
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Officially allegedly female

Postby thatindianguy » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:55 am

I know right ?

When they first announced it I never expected Newt to basically be Dumbledore’s agent against Gindlewald ...but now I can’t imagine it any other way.

thatindianguy
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep