Video: If Antidepressant Commercials Were Honest

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

Video: If Antidepressant Commercials Were Honest

Postby Kate » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:27 am

http://www.cracked.com/video_20048_what ... g-you.html

Or if you want to just watch it here:

My take on it is that this is a fun little commercial that mixes things that are true about depression and antidepressants in with conspiracy theories about big pharma in a way that, possibly accidentally, reinforces stigmas and misconceptions about depression and dismisses the very real problem that depression can be.

I was amused by some of it and I didn't disagree with all of it (depression, and antidepressants, are not as well-understood as those commercials would have you believe, the little balls of happiness were funny, and the flowers/sun coming up over the flowers/small dogs, etc.), but the parts that I did disagree with just grated at me.

JT's Art Thread - JamesT's awesome stuff.
Kate
Gul DuKate
Gul DuKate

Show rep
Title: Sheepwoman

Re: Video: If Antidepressant Commercials Were Honest

Postby Typical Michael » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:41 am

I usually like Roger Bytheway, but whilst watching...I felt like, although it is true that sometimes it seems like throwing darts at a wall, it is still something serious and they might have shoulda stepped away from this one. There were too many lines like "You probably don't actually need this, you are just sad because of the weather, or some shit."

"Typical... Michael... is a ddddddddddddddddddddashing individual!!! *BC punches self in face*" - ButtChocolate

"I'm like Batman, but instead of helping people I'm awful." - CleverDick

"In fairness, I was the one who brought up the goats." - JamesT
Typical Michael
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: ThingMaster

Postby ThatIndonesianGuy » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:45 am

I have no opinions on antidepressants tbh. I'm prescribed to them, by multiple professional doctors, but I am aware that they have dubious effect. So... I tend not to have an opinion.

ThatIndonesianGuy
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep
Title: Resident Indonesian Porcupine

Postby Crimson847 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:05 am

It's a Cracked video on psychology/mental health issues? Gimme a sec.

Alright, let's do this.

*watches video*

"I want you to buy my patented drug and go through all these terrible things I just mentioned, when you might not even need to. Talk to your doctor about our product and don't mention this ad, because marketing pharmaceutical products to patients like this should be illegal."

Yeah, isn't it terrible when people with no expertise in the field try to advise people about medical decisions? You know, like suggesting that antidepressants will probably have horrible side effects?

Honestly, I'd rather watch an actual antidepressant ad than that video. Both are patronizing and dangerously misleading, but the Cracked video adds in attempts at humor that are downright painful to watch.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep