Stranger Things has happened

What have you been watching?

Stranger Things has happened

Postby Australia » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:11 pm

So in case you're one of the three people on the internet who haven't heard of the new Netflix series, Stranger Things, I just finished the eight-episode season and I'd say it's a cross between Monster Squad and Stand By Me. I think the most surprising part of the show is it has the best child actors possibly ever on screen. It also has Winona Ryder, who's played good human characters and good crazy characters but this is the first thing I've seen where she has the balance between the two perfect. I'm sure there's a kleptomania pun about stealing scenes but I'm above that so I'll just write this even more arrogant sentence implying I could have made one.

My only real complaint is that it could have been even creepier, but a lot of shows use their first season to ground the show in the characters and world to get people invested so that they can go over the top and hit the ground running the following years so with that in mind, it's sufficiently creepy. Also, there's a very clever meta joke towards the end of the last episode that pretty much sums up my feelings on the show. In case it wasn't obvious, the show has my recommendation, for whatever that's worth, and I have my fingers firmly crossed for a second season. I would say best Netflix series outside of Daredevil and Jessica Jones. If you like Stephen King and 80s movies, you'll at the very least be entertained by this.

P.S. Don't photograph people from the bushes, Jon. If it wasn't for that, you'd be a relatively stand-up guy. That's a lesson to all of you. Only I can do that kind of thing.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Re: Stranger Things has happened

Postby CarrieVS » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:46 pm

Australia wrote:So in case you're one of the three people on the internet who haven't heard of the new Netflix series, Stranger Things.

*Raises hand*

I live under a stone.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby DoglovingJim » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:43 pm

Australia wrote:So in case you're one of the three people on the internet who haven't heard of the new Netflix series, Stranger Things.

Interesting.

Yeah, looks like I live on the moon.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby CarrieVS » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:11 pm

Anyone want to admit to being the third person?

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Marcuse » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:36 pm

CarrieVS wrote:Anyone want to admit to being the third person?

*Raises hand*

I don't got Netflix. I don't got time for Netflix.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Australia » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:52 pm

Well, we've gone from under a stone to on the moon, so the next person has a hell of an excuse to top. I suppose it wouldn't be very credible if I said I've never heard of it because I live inside a TARDIS. Unless I time-travelled my way into creating the thread after reading my recommendation to watch it, watching it, agreeing with it, stealing a time machine and trying to remember the exact wording from when I read my post in the first place. Sure, what the hell, let's go with that. It's all true if my name isn't Hansolo McGillicuddy.

Psh, have it your way, Marcuse. But I heard of the show a thousand times without having Netflix and I'm not nearly as internet adept (is internadept a word? I'd know that if I wasn't so intinept!) as most of the forum, so that doesn't even top the stone shelter excuse.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby DanteHoratio » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:57 pm

CarrieVS wrote:Anyone want to admit to being the third person?

I'm the forth person.

"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself." -Mark Twain

"I couldn't live a week without a private library - indeed, I'd part with all my furniture and squat and sleep on the floor before I'd let go of the 1500 or so books I possess." -HP Lovecraft
DanteHoratio
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep
Title: Let's get dangerous

Postby IamNotCreepy » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:51 am

We just finished watching the last episode. Holy crap, this was seriously the best TV show I have watched in a LONG time.

Rotten Tomatoes Critical Consensus wrote:Exciting, heartbreaking, and sometimes scary, Stranger Things acts as an addictive homage to Spielberg films and vintage 1980s television.

That about sums it up perfectly.

It has GREAT acting, the setting and mood are on point, and it just delivered on all levels.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:19 pm

Best child actors in a TV show? Best TV show ever possibly?

And this thread isn't about The Wire? I'm curious about this show now.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby IamNotCreepy » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:26 am

iMURDAu wrote:Best child actors in a TV show? Best TV show ever possibly?

And this thread isn't about The Wire? I'm curious about this show now.

If it lends any credibility to my taste in shows, I would also agree with those descriptions as fitting The Wire.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:59 am

I'm halfway through episode 2 and I'm hooked.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:29 am

I really enjoyed this show. Can't wait for Season 2. Even what I considered a plot hole might not actually be one.

Spoiler: show
For most of the final two episodes I was wondering why the Feds were so lax in pursuing the kids and weren't all the way up Hopper's ass every second of his life or outright make him disappear. Then seeing Hopper get in that car made it seem like there's a much bigger picture and that maybe some of this was allowed to happen. Was the fucker acting like he wasn't a Fed the whole time? Did he make a deal or something? So many questions!

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:44 am

FB_IMG_1471563756572.jpg
FB_IMG_1471563756572.jpg (11.62 KiB) Viewed 7743 times

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby IamNotCreepy » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:00 am

Legit spoiler:

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:41 pm

I started this show two nights ago. I finished it at 6am today. It good.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Next