Art You Went And Made!

A place to hang your fingerpaints, blue ribbons and the things you've created.

Re: Art You Went And Made!

Postby Matt the Czar » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:44 am

"Operation Prepare Your Anus is considered to have been the most thoughtfully planned and masterfully executed humanitarian intervention in American history."-DTanza, alternatehistory.com

Now as a very moral person, I would never sell a pot brownie to a toddler.
I.. I would just GIVE it to them.- CMSellers.
Matt the Czar
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:46 am

Doodle of Ironhide in honor of the arrival of his Masterpiece figure.

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby AboveGL » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:54 am

This may be the first time I've posted in this thread. I'm sure it counts.

Anyhow, this is a pretty big project which involved hours of work in PhotoShop using layer masks, clone stamping and other shit, and a bit of work in Gimp.

I've mentioned my Fallout: New Vegas modding many times and I've been fiddling with 3D models for a bit now. It's not until recently I have started making changes to textures.

Classic Fallout Weapons is a mod which injects all Fallout 1/2/Tactics weapons into Fallout: New Vegas and it naturally includes the DKS-501 Sniper Rifle from Fallout 1 and 2. Technically, it appears in Fallout 3 and New Vegas which, according to Fallout lore, is the original version of the DKS rifle chambered in the .308 Winchester round. The weapon which appears in Fallout 1/2 is a rechambered version and CFW adds it exactly as it appears in game i.e. chambered in the .223/5.56mm NATO round, complete with an appearance to match:

Spoiler: show
DKS-Before.jpg
DKS-Before.jpg (201.35 KiB) Viewed 21633 times

As viewed in the Garden of Eden Creation Kit

CFW lets you apply all three vanilla sniper rifle mods - a suppressor, extended magazines and carbon fibre parts. Unfortunately, the weapon doesn't appear with carbon fibre parts when the mod is applied and since it halves the weight of the weapon, I think it should look as if at least SOME of the components have been replaced.

So I made a copy of the DirectDraw Surface file and edited it in PhotoShop. I painstakingly painted over the components with a carbon fibre and dark metal texture I borrowed from another DDS file. The texture I borrowed from is an improved high-res version of the vanilla .308 sniper rifle texture made by the talented 3D artist Millenia (his New Vegas Nexus Profile can be found here). The improved sniper rifle textures are also part of the Weapon Retexture Project which I wholly recommend. *

After a lot of trial and error (which I'd need even if I knew a way of seeing how exactly the DDS file wraps around the 3D mesh) and going back and forth between PhotoShop and NifSkope, I had to create a normal map too. I didn't want to use the normal map for the original texture as it accentuates the huge blemishes and just looks weird with the new texture, so I created my own. nVidia's PhotoShop plugin yielded an unsatisfactory result as the weapon looked too shiny so I tried Gimp instead. I got much better results by converting the image into a bump map BEFORE converting it into a normal map and then applying gaussian blur on some areas. The end result is this:

DKS-After.jpg
DKS-After.jpg (191.85 KiB) Viewed 21633 times

As viewed in the Garden of Eden Creation Kit

It's not perfect and I imagine other people would have different ideas about how the weapon should appear with carbon fiber parts, but I'm happy with how it's turned out.

Here are a few screen dumps taken from Nifskope:

DKS-Nifskope-1.jpg
DKS-Nifskope-1.jpg (247.47 KiB) Viewed 21633 times

DKS-Nifskope-2.jpg
DKS-Nifskope-2.jpg (313.49 KiB) Viewed 21633 times

Weapon stock before/after:

DKS-Nifskope-Stock.jpg
DKS-Nifskope-Stock.jpg (441.3 KiB) Viewed 21633 times

* Although this is for my own use and don't even plan on uploading anything to the New Vegas Nexus, I want to make sure the original artist is properly credited. Additionally, I might include some of my projects as part of my online portfolio (which is still barely in the works) and I won't do this without explicit permission from Millenia himself. I'd credit the artist for the original DKS-501 texture but I'll need to do some digging to find out who made it. Millenia gave me the go-ahead to do what I please with my own game.

AboveGL
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby EvilerDictator » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:41 pm

Some may remember that I used to draw kind of. I was doing stuff at our comic cons in Cardiff, however they're increasingly more expensive every time I go, and the stuff I was doing wasn't really breaking even. Right now I am trying to go for something more of a fantasy style of something I guess. I am doing a webcomic, but right now I am considering ditching the storyline and focussing on short contained panel comics.

Anyways, here's pictures (there's one two comics here: https://www.facebook.com/Stillgotitcomic at the moment, there are others on a wordpress website but that's the boring storyline ones.)

Have me, I'm a love albatross!
EvilerDictator
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: Love Albatross

Postby CommanderRidley » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:57 am

I listened to a 63 hour long Atlas Shrugged audio book and had to draw this.

CommanderRidley
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep
Title: Commander

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:12 am

Finally managed to draw something for the first time in over a month:

It's not done yet, but I don't hate it. That's a step in the right direction.

Fun fact: Apparently Meghan Trainor is nicknamed "Megatron", because #megatron on Instagram brings up 50% pictures of her and 50% pictures of the Transformer.

That new video of hers is pretty hawt, though

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby Revolving Royal » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:00 am

This is my attempt at a background and color shading and I'm pretty proud of it. She's a plant lady based off of several Nepenthes along with other plants I like.
image.jpg
image.jpg (236.11 KiB) Viewed 21375 times

image.jpg
image.jpg (193.94 KiB) Viewed 21375 times

"We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled. The trick is knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out" -Ray Bradbury

I am not “full of hate” as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine. ~Internet Wiseman
Revolving Royal
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Lurker

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:27 am

Those colors pop off the screen. Nicely done.

BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby octoberpumpkin » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:02 pm

Gonna try some drawing again since it's summer break.

Princess Aurora:

octoberpumpkin
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Pinkasaurus Rex

Postby octoberpumpkin » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:02 pm

octoberpumpkin
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby octoberpumpkin » Fri May 06, 2016 7:51 pm

Purple Heart I am not super happy with. Made her look like a robot bug :P

Green Heart I like a bit more but it's still not all the way there

Daisy was a simpler style so it was a bit easier and I'm overall happy. Just needs a few improvements

octoberpumpkin
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby DjiboutiDan » Thu May 26, 2016 1:48 am

Does fruit sculpture count as art? Does hollowing out a pineapple, carving the top into the shape of a bird and drinking a pina colada out of it count as sculpture? Screw you, I'm posting anyway.
pineapple.jpg
pineapple.jpg (118.79 KiB) Viewed 21183 times

pineapple2.jpg
pineapple2.jpg (122.63 KiB) Viewed 21183 times

The paper towel is there because I made one cut just a bit too deep through the bottom so it was slightly leaky.

We had a party for my dad's birthday last Saturday and the theme was 'Hawaii'. I also made a watermelon shark, but apparently didn't take a picture of it.

Carrie wrote:But I suspect Dan will figure it out, because Dan’s apparently magic.
DjiboutiDan
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Bilge Rat

Postby Revolving Royal » Sat May 28, 2016 3:41 am

Here's one of those projects that you forget about for years and randomly find. It hopefully looks like a Chinese butterfly.
IMG_20160527_215851-1.jpg
IMG_20160527_215851-1.jpg (13.78 KiB) Viewed 21164 times

"We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled. The trick is knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out" -Ray Bradbury

I am not “full of hate” as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine. ~Internet Wiseman
Revolving Royal
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Lurker

Postby Matthew Notch » Sun May 29, 2016 11:52 pm

DjiboutiDan wrote:I also made a watermelon shark, but apparently didn't take a picture of it.

You so did too, you jerk! It's your profile picture on Skype, I thought.

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby CarrieVS » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:33 pm

Meet my new friend Fuzzy:

I've been practicing a lot lately and I'm finally getting the hang of therapods (which are the hardest kind of dinosaur to draw).

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

PreviousNext