6 Traditional Things That've Kept The World A Worse Place

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

6 Traditional Things That've Kept The World A Worse Place

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Tue May 17, 2016 8:38 pm

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Re: 6 Traditional Things That've Kept The World A Worse Plac

Postby Kivutar » Tue May 17, 2016 9:56 pm

Probably most of them had a good reason at the time, that no longer exists. The Faroe Islanders didn't have many reliable food sources back in the day. Lots of women would like a break from their normal daily work and irritating people when on their period (in less primitive conditions, but its not as if people in Nepalese villages normally live in super sophisticated conditions).

More generally, beyond the article: Why is it not kosher to mix meat and dairy? Well, if you're a desert nomad, it's a super bad idea. Similar logic for rituals associated with preparing cassava. And on and on. Most traditions did have a practical purpose, and/or strengthened social conventions that had a practical purpose.

Of course there are some things that are just people being shitheads.

Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Hosea 3:1
Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Great Librarian

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Tue May 17, 2016 10:13 pm

Well, yeah, but these are modern times? Why not be modern people who only ever do modern things modernistically?

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby D-LOGAN » Tue May 17, 2016 10:21 pm

If everyone has a microwave Eric, NO ONE DOES!!!!

Not just yet, I'm still tender from before.
D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: ALL PRAISE UNTO MIGHTY KEK!

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Tue May 17, 2016 10:46 pm

D-LOGAN wrote:If everyone has a microwave Eric, NO ONE DOES!!!!

Then how do you explain the existence of microwaves?

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Tue May 17, 2016 10:50 pm

Ericthebearjew wrote:

Simple: some people do, and some people don't.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Tue May 17, 2016 10:53 pm

CarrieVS wrote:
Ericthebearjew wrote:

Simple: some people do, and some people don't.

That's what they WANT you to think!!!!!1!!!11

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby D-LOGAN » Tue May 17, 2016 10:54 pm

Ericthebearjew wrote:Then how do you explain the existence of microwaves?

Well here's the thing mate *looks around, then leans in conspiratorially ... and whispers* if you look at them closer they're actually just toasters that have been souped up and turned the other way round.

Keep that under your hat now you hear, there are some things that John and Jane Q. Public just aren't ready to hear.

CarrieVS wrote:Simple: some people do, and some people don't.

Course they do my dear, course they do.

*looks to Eric, makes that shhhh-y gesture and winks*

What they don't know can't hurt 'em.

Not just yet, I'm still tender from before.
D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: ALL PRAISE UNTO MIGHTY KEK!

Postby gisambards » Tue May 17, 2016 11:40 pm

D-LOGAN wrote:
Ericthebearjew wrote:Then how do you explain the existence of microwaves?

Well here's the thing mate *looks around, then leans in conspiratorially ... and whispers* if you look at them closer they're actually just toasters that have been souped up and turned the other way round.

Oh shit. It all makes sense now.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Wed May 18, 2016 12:57 am

This article reminded me of a song:

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby cmsellers » Wed May 18, 2016 1:16 am

I love how the article is like "seaside villagers massacring whales and dolphins for food is bad, but the true atrocity is that some of them are captured alive and sold to aquariums."

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby sunglasses » Wed May 18, 2016 2:42 am

Have you seen the conditions at some of those aquariums?

It *might* be kinder to kill them for food.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Kivutar » Wed May 18, 2016 2:56 am

sunglasses wrote:Have you seen the conditions at some of those aquariums?

It *might* be kinder to kill them for food.

Or at least more justifiable.

Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Hosea 3:1
Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Great Librarian

Postby cmsellers » Wed May 18, 2016 3:03 am

The only aquarium I've spent much time at is the New England Aquarium in Boston. I've also been to the Scripps Oceanographic Institute in San Diego and the Monterrey Aquarium. Possibly others (I think I might have been to the ones in Honolulu, Miami, and Mystic, CT); those are the only ones I clearly remember. All of them were very nice, though AZA standards likely play a role in that.

I have no idea what aquariums in Japan are like, though having seen videos of Japanese pet shops, you may have a point.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Askias » Wed May 18, 2016 3:30 pm

Some notes at #4 (Sexual Assault Is Legal In Places You Wouldn’t Expect).

The legalization (or toleration) of marital rape is something that the West held on a lot longer than the Sovjet Bloc. The USSR removed the exclusion of marital rape as rape in the new criminal code in 1922, after the revolution, and explicitly included it as a crime in its criminal code in 1960. Compare that to the EU Parliament (which passed a resolution in 1986), Belgium (1989) France (1990, court decision), the UK (1991, court decision) and the Netherlands (1991), and the difference is striking. Other East Block countries were also significantly earlier than their western counterparts: Poland in 1932, and Czechoslovakia in 1950.

I'm not versed enough on culture to tell you how this came about, but I think it's noteworthy.

In Virginia, you can get off scot-free if you and your victim agree to undergo joint counseling. Picture a world in which you sit across from a therapist with your rapist. Now picture it in Virginia. Good job, you've pictured a scenario that could really happen.

You can get off scot-free if the victim, prosecutor, and judge all jointly agree that it’s in the best interest of the victim. It’s mostly useless and I can't imagine it coming into play, but it's not a threat to the prosecution of rape. Several countries allow this for any crime merely on the part of the prosecution, unless the victim sues the state for not prosecuting.

If you're among the infinitesimal percentage of our readership which lives overseas, don't get too smug. Countries that are known for being socially progressive have a hard time reconciling the concept of marital rape with their shiny reputations.

They did in the early 90s, yes. Marital rape is an awfully recent thing to be criminalized, as I just described.

That includes Norway, aka "the South Carolina of Europe," where one survey reported that 9 percent of Norwegian women in Norwegian relationships have experienced some kind of sexual assault, and it's estimated that 60 percent of the victims never press charges.

Norway, being in the Eastern sphere, was relatively early in criminalizing marital rape (1971, to be exact), and their current rape laws are pretty wide and take a very narrow view of consent, so this isn't a case of something being legal, rather of something that occurs. I was surprised at the 60% number because a 40% report rate for sexual assault within a relationship is about four times higher than the most postive number I’ve ever seen, but Cracked didn’t read their source right:
Most rape victims, particularly of spousal abuse, do not come to the hospital for the forensic exam, she said. As many as 60 percent of those who do choose not to involve the police.

So 60% of rape victims who agree to a forensic exam (part of the evidence gathering process) never press charges, but the majority never gets to that stage to begin with. As i've talked about before, sexual assault is extremely under-reported, and this is yet another instance.

Which was why it was weird when Norway recently released pamphlets telling Islamic refugees not to rape their women. Homegrown Norwegian men appear to have this covered.

It wasn't merely a notice towards ‘not raping them’, but more a notice that their home country attitude towards women clashes with the Norwegian culture. The article neglects to mention an ‘overwhelming majority’ of the gangs of men in Cologne were applying for refugee status. Given France and yes, Norway have had smaller-scale (but still pretty large-scale) issues with refugees disrespecting women both verbally and physically, this was not a ‘weird’ decision. Besides, the Norwegian government has an array of initatives aimed at their own population, so this isn't all they're doing.

So if you are vaginally penetrated by an organized crowd of German strangers, there are no German laws to cite when you go to the police. The laws don't exist.

Well this is rape. Section 177 article 1 under (2), article 2 (both jointly committed offense and penetration of the body). Minimum sentence two years. Maximum isn’t mentioned, which means the 15-year maximum of Section 39 for non-life sentences applies. This was mentioned in the Comments. User aeondelirium gets my stamp of approval. You could make a case for Section 178, which handles sexual assault in cases where the victim is incapable of resistance, but that’s usually intended for victims with handicaps of some sort (mental or physical).

But to agree with the article, the German Criminal Code is sorely lacking in this area, which the Cologne attacks have highlighted (and some new proposals are in the works and currently passing to help fix that). They have an article specific to banning causing a nuclear explosion (I am not kidding: Section 307 of the Criminal Code) but can’t be assed to get some more airtight sexual assault laws (it's not 'legal', more like sloppy patchwork with more holes than a siv). Removing the marital exception in their rape law didn’t happen until 1997.

If there be here lesson or moral, it lies beyond the competence of him who wrote this post.
(Jack Vance, Emphyrio)
Askias
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Night Owl

Next