9 Lame Hobbies White People Love (For Some Reason)

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

9 Lame Hobbies White People Love (For Some Reason)

Postby Ceiling_Squid » Tue May 17, 2016 12:44 am

I'm just going to let that title sink in for a bit. It speaks for itself.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/white-peopl ... est-world/

Ceiling_Squid
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Re: 9 Lame Hobbies White People Love (For Some Reason)

Postby Taluun » Tue May 17, 2016 1:03 am

I love hiking in general although I like the more natural approach to it all.
I like camping as well although I like the more natural approach to it all.
I love road trips but largely due to the destination, if I could teleport I would prefer that.
I love board games as they are something easy to get into with friends that gives you something to do.
RC helicopters are so cool, so why would owning a drone not be cool? Know what I love doing? Looking at google earth. You know what would be better? Looking at it in real time or in a much more recent view than what google earth provides.

Taluun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Tue May 17, 2016 1:15 am

Yeah, a few of these are legitimately stupid, but it seems like, for the most part, he's hiding a disdain for active or effort based activities behind lame White people jokes.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby Tesseracts » Tue May 17, 2016 1:24 am

I like satire, and I'm certainty not above making fun of white stereotypes. One of my favorite websites of all time is https://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/

However I couldn't make it past the first entry without getting annoyed by this one.

Another detail white "adventurers" will leave out of the story of their "Kilimanjaro journey" is the porters -- or brown people they pay to carry their shit for them while they focus on not walking too fast.

Of course, climbing Kilimanjaro is not without its challenges. As this site explains, figuring out how much to tip the guys who carry your bags and cook your food can be extremely tricky.

Like, is this a joke? Or is this genuine anger? Because it's starting to seem like the article is genuinely furious at tourists for being tourists. I know nothing about Kilimanjaro or if it's as easy as they describe, but I'm willing to bet people climb it because it's fun. Not because they want to oppress the poor brown natives by giving them money in exchange for work. If non-white people had as much disposable income and free time as your stereotypical white person has, I'm willing to bet they would also like to travel and have fun.

Upcycling is when you take something old and useless and *gasp* turn it into something pretty and useful. For most of the world's population, this is just called being poor. It exists as "upcycling" for the same reason ghetto tourism exists. Eventually, rich white people get bored with doing rich white people shit and turn to "seeing how the other side lives" in the name of entertainment. There's nothing trendy about having to dig through the garbage for a kitchen table. That sweet find you took home, fixed up, and flipped on eBay could just as easily have ended up in the home of someone who needed a table but didn't have the resources to swing by IKEA and pick one up. Poverty is not a hobby, and it's certainly not a vacation. Stop treating it like one.

They have a point here, doing some craft to see what it's like to be poor is beyond stupid. However I've never heard anyone who "upcycles" claim to be doing it for some social justice reason. I thought they were just trying to be creative. Maybe people in California do this in a way more condescending way, I don't know.

Next is "glamping." What the fuck is this? I must be woefully out of touch with rich person culture, what is going on here? Is this more California bullshit?

It's not known if nonwhite people can make whittling cool, because they cannot sit on their front porch with a knife in their hands without worrying about being shot.

I haven't heard of black people being threatened for wood working, but sure, that's a social issue now. And white people making stuff out of wood is a stereotype now I guess.

But that's kind of a "white people" thing in itself, right? Finding your "inner child"? At least, it seems that way to the rest of the world. Don't get me wrong; I totally understand how we're stereotyping an entire race by saying that, and I understand that it's wrong. Not all white people are in a struggle to find the Little Timmy within. I'm just saying that if you gathered up all of the adult-coloring-book-buying, inner-child-searching people into one room, that room would be white as fuck.

I actually completely agree with this one. As an artist, I've watched the adult coloring book trend take off with complete despair. I don't believe there is anything inherently wrong with adults coloring, but there's always some nonsense New Age motivate behind the coloring and it just makes me cringe.

A lot of these examples are confusing. What do drones have to do with white people? Most of this article is about affluent hipsters, but when I see someone using a drone it's more likely to be a working class white guy drinking beer. Then again I live near a military base. I don't know what the hell is going on in LA.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby D-LOGAN » Tue May 17, 2016 1:31 am

Tesseracts wrote: As an artist, I've watched the adult coloring book trend take off with complete despair. I don't believe there is anything inherently wrong with adults coloring, but there's always some nonsense New Age motivate behind the coloring and it just makes me cringe.

Meh. My ex was Brazilian, but she was mad into them adult colouring books. It was definitely a theraputic thing for her, but to be fair, she was VERY New Age-y too. But hey, different strokes for different folks, whatever floats yer boat baby.

Not just yet, I'm still tender from before.
D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: ALL PRAISE UNTO MIGHTY KEK!

Postby DanteHoratio » Tue May 17, 2016 1:36 am

It's stuff like that keeps racism alive. People needs to stop telling race jokes. Race jokes are one of the stuff that keeps racism alive.

"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself." -Mark Twain

"I couldn't live a week without a private library - indeed, I'd part with all my furniture and squat and sleep on the floor before I'd let go of the 1500 or so books I possess." -HP Lovecraft
DanteHoratio
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep
Title: Let's get dangerous

Postby D-LOGAN » Tue May 17, 2016 1:46 am

No. Racism doesn't continue to exist because we overhear people telling race jokes, it exists because prejudice is a part of the human condition, and racism is a form it takes, that of course doesn't mean everyone is racist deep down but it does mean whenever we are being racist, it's each individual's fault.
And I'm definitely against any jokes, even race jokes being off-limits as it all comes down to context. As far as I'm concerned NO jokes are off limit. It's not the joke itself, it's the intent behind it. But even then I wouldn't want it banned, I'd just want the person, if they actually are being racist, to be called out.
BUT! I certainly don't think people who are being racist against whites are any less objectionable than those who are being racist against any other race. There's no okay racism, or reverse-racism, there's just racism.
But again, it has to actually be racism.
Man the world's complicated.

Not just yet, I'm still tender from before.
D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: ALL PRAISE UNTO MIGHTY KEK!

Postby CarrieVS » Tue May 17, 2016 1:47 am

The only reason I don't have a colouring book or five is that I can never keep the leads on colouring pencils intact for more than 2.6 seconds. I just doodle with a pen instead and stick the results on the virtual fridge.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby NathanLoiselle » Tue May 17, 2016 2:41 am

Watching Star Trek:The Original Series isn't a lame hobby. It's a lame career!

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Tue May 17, 2016 2:51 am

And to think I supported the whole "butter dish" thing. :(

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Tue May 17, 2016 3:00 am

This article actually made climbing Kilimanjaro seem really cool and interesting. It's something I've never thought about before or heard anyone discuss before (I must be a fake whitey I guess), so I looked into it.

Not any more. In 1991 the park authorities made it compulsory for all climbers to sign up with an agency. They in turn will provide you with a crew (consisting of a guide and his assistants, a cook and several porters). You can thus no longer turn up at the foot of Kili with a rucksack of food and clothes and hope to do it all yourself. The choice of which agency to sign up with is thus the most important decision you’ll have to make. Which is why we provide an extensive review of all the major ones in the guidebook.

Yeah so, the thing the article criticizes the climbers for, hiring professionals to keep you from dying, is actually mandatory. Makes sense for a dangerous activity. And yeah, it is dangerous, people die every year and many more are forced to leave before reaching the top due to sickness.

2) Kilimanjaro can be dangerous. Though we’re just guessing, we (and several other trekking operators) estimate that about ten people perish every year on the mountain, while many more are forced to evacuate with serious altitude sickness or other ailments.

3) It can be painful. Even those who do make it to the top successfully usually have to endure headaches, nausea and other symptoms while ascending.

This is a mountain which... not sometimes, not often, but USUALLY gives you a giant headache when you climb it. This seems miles away from stuff like wood working and coloring books. This is REAL PAIN and the mosquitoes probably have REAL ZIKA.

I'm not sure why they focused on this one particular mountain instead of hiking in general, which is definitely a white person thing. I've hiked a decent amount of less tall mountains and it's rare to find the elusive non-white human in this habitat.

On the subject of the author attribution: the way Cracked sends out articles with the wrong title and then changes it really confuses me. Apparently they also send out articles attributed to the wrong author also. Why? The readers don't like this, and it's obviously not good for the writer who is trying to avoid harassment either. Is this some weird Demand Media policy? THE WORD MAY NEVER KNOW.

I suppose it's possible the author wanted to be credited but changed their mind last minute, but it seems more likely they the wanted to be anonymous and Cracked made a mistake or something. I must be missing something because I would think they would be able to see the article before it goes live?

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby sunglasses » Tue May 17, 2016 3:26 am

it's not demand media any more

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby RedBearded » Tue May 17, 2016 5:34 am

Its by "Cracked Staff" now, not Luis Prada. I guess someone couldn't handle the comments.

Redbearded-Joined:Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:09 pm
God-Joined:Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:18 pm
RedBearded
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby Typical Michael » Tue May 17, 2016 6:56 am

sunglasses wrote:it's not demand media any more

"In April 2016, Demand Media announced the sale of its brand Cracked.com to E.W. Scripps."

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/2 ... W.-Scripps

$39 million. Well damn, that is interesting.

"Typical... Michael... is a ddddddddddddddddddddashing individual!!! *BC punches self in face*" - ButtChocolate

"I'm like Batman, but instead of helping people I'm awful." - CleverDick

"In fairness, I was the one who brought up the goats." - JamesT
Typical Michael
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: ThingMaster

Postby gisambards » Tue May 17, 2016 10:03 am

One thing to say about the article more generally is that it's doing that bizarre SJW thing of splitting everyone in the world into either "white people" (who are rich, elitist oppressors) and "brown people" (who are poor, totally pacifist, and can do no wrong). As always, this has myriad problems, most prominently being the question of where East Asians fit into this dichotomy (surely, if it's a division between those with white skin and those with brown skin, they'd count as white?), but it also leads to some ridiculous and genuinely quite racist generalisations about both white and non-white people.

To address each point more specifically:
#9: Kilimanjaro - as Tess has covered, climbing Kilimanjaro is probably actually quite hard, and it's not like you get a choice about those porters. This entry very much falls into the old SJW trap of somehow deciding that a white person who goes to another country and pays the non-white locals to do their jobs is oppressing them. I always wonder what said locals would think if someone like Prada went out there and told them that.
#8: Upcycling - Firstly, this entry's deeply problematic in that it's basically implying all white people are rich and all poor people are not white, which is both patronising to non-white people and, as happens all too often, ignores the plight of the large numbers of poor white people in the US. Secondly, it seems to be saying that, if a rich white person decides to be creative with something they'd otherwise throw away and makes it practical again, they're being racist because they don't have to do that and some non-white people do. Or something. This entry was just stupid.
#7: Glamping - I've been glamping. It's quite nice. It's not really supposed to be like camping - it's a whole other thing. His reasons for why it's stupid are stupid. And while most people also glamping were white - because this was at a folk music festival in England - the people in the nearest tent to us were a group of very ethnically diverse Brazilians.
#6: Beer - basically making fun of a perfectly legitimate hobby, and not really explaining what's so "white" about it.
#5: Woodwork - again, mocking a legitimate hobby for no reason, then making a racist cops joke, which of course never gets old.
#4: Colouring books - when done for New Age reasons, this is kind of stupid. That said, I've heard it can be relaxing, so there's no reason to dismiss it completely. I also have no idea what the bit about Jay Z is about. When most people, white or black, look at a champagne bottle, they neither start colouring it in nor decide to create their own brand. Equally, most champagne brands were created by white people, so I don't think it's a race thing.
#3: Road trips - Only white people travel long distances with friends for fun, apparently. Probably, by this article's logic, because brown people can't afford cars and also might get shot if too many of them gather in one place.
#2: Board games - ignoring the fact that I know many non-white people who like board games, this entry is particularly troubling, for this reason:
Or choose Monopoly, or Risk, or War On Terror. If it's something white people do in real life, just shrink it down, add a winner at the end, and break out the craft beer and salsa
This bit is fantastic, because it's offensive to absolutely everyone: firstly he's implying that non-white people can't be business people, and then he's implying that only white people go to war. I think this entry takes the cake in terms of sheer stupidity and general offensiveness. The War on Terror thing - implying that only white people are opposed to terrorism - is particularly concerning when read in the context of the last sentence of the the next entry:
#1: Drones -
And two, even though the biggest fan of drones right now is black, considering who is running in fear from them, I doubt they will catch on outside the white community over here any time soon.

That's right. All non-white people feel solidarity with Islamist terrorists. Because the War on Terror is just white people (plus Obama, but whatevs) going out and slaughtering non-white people for no reason at all, and all non-white people know that.

So overall, I honestly think this article could genuinely be one of the most offensive things Cracked has published so far, given its patronising attitude towards the entire non-white population of the planet and also the fact this is honestly one of the first times I, as a white person, have felt offended by what someone is saying about my race.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Next