Did You Donate Your Body To Science? Maybe Don't Read This.

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

Did You Donate Your Body To Science? Maybe Don't Read This.

Postby BinaryStep » Thu May 12, 2016 11:19 pm

Did You Know?
Getting shot can increase your
BULLET RESISTANCE
BinaryStep
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep
Title: White Lightning

Re: Did You Donate Your Body To Science? Maybe Don't Read Th

Postby sunglasses » Thu May 12, 2016 11:57 pm

I'm always hungry.

And really, this isn't that bad.

*eats spaghetti during an autopsy*

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Fri May 13, 2016 12:02 am

I hope those researcher did this with those arms before rigging them to punch stuff.

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby 52xMax » Fri May 13, 2016 12:18 am

I don't see the point of this article. What did people expect scientists would use corpses for?, how does the writer of this piece imagine we got to our current body (pun intended) of knowledge in medicine, along with hundreds of other applications of science and technology? You have to break a few eggs to make an omelette, and most (with some obvious exceptiins in the late 18th century) were already broken to begin with. So it isn't pretty, so what? It's not like the body donors care of feel anything, they are already dead.

I guess the message the author was trying to convey was that most people imagine their legacy would have to be something more noble than plastic surgery practice, or ballistics testing, which seem shallow in nature, but it comes across as preachy and nitpicky, even the title seems to be discouraging people from donating their bodies to "science", which relieves families from expensive funerary costs and sometimes even helps them out financially.

And let's be blunt: the reason corpses are used in such manner is because there is a demand for that sort of research. And it is important stuff too, those bodies they bury in the ground for months or shoot bullets at or get hit with all sorts of objects help out a great deal to forensic investigations, to solve real murders and catch dangerous criminals. People who are born with face deformities benefit from reconstructive plastic surgery, not to mention medical students everywhere getting an up close and very personal anatomy classes. Depending on the cause of death, the remains can also be used for studying particular diseases, its effects on humans, and hopefully finding a cure, but that's not gonna be the vast majority of the volunteers who had a heart attack in front of the TV with a big gulp and a bag of Cheetos... which is incidentally the way I want to go. In the toilet like Elvis? I can only dream.

"When in doubt... well, don't ask me!"
52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Salmon the Wise

Postby JamishT » Fri May 13, 2016 5:48 am

Yeah, I'm still donating my body to science (if I ever get around to filling out that paperwork). I bet the most use it will have is to test out extra large condoms though. ;)

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby Grimstone » Sat May 14, 2016 2:22 pm

Well, you can either donate your body to science or you can donate it to the worms. In fact, this should be their new slogan:

"Science, beats being fed to worms"

"The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart."
Grimstone
TCS Guerilla

Show rep
Title: Creature of the Night

Postby iMURDAu » Sat May 14, 2016 4:38 pm

Yeah but there would have to be a disclaimer reading *your body may still be fed to worms for research purposes

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby SandTea » Sun May 15, 2016 7:41 pm

I think this should be an 'opt out' thing as well as organ donation. (I actually think it should be mandatory but that's for loud noises). It's one of the issues even theists/atheists agree on. Once 'you' are dead your body is no longer 'you'. Why not let it do some good? Feed some worms, get shot, whatever. It might make the world better, why not? I'm a huge narcissist but I still know I won't be able to care after I'm dead. And really, theists, would you rather be looking down on the your loved ones at your grave crying or at the little girl who can play soccer because shes got a new lung?

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby Grimstone » Sun May 15, 2016 8:18 pm

SandTea wrote:I think this should be an 'opt out' thing as well as organ donation. (I actually think it should be mandatory but that's for loud noises). It's one of the issues even theists/atheists agree on. Once 'you' are dead your body is no longer 'you'. Why not let it do some good? Feed some worms, get shot, whatever. It might make the world better, why not? I'm a huge narcissist but I still know I won't be able to care after I'm dead. And really, theists, would you rather be looking down on the your loved ones at your grave crying or at the little girl who can play soccer because shes got a new lung?

I agree, but don't some theists believe they get literally resurrected?

"The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart."
Grimstone
TCS Guerilla

Show rep
Title: Creature of the Night

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Sun May 15, 2016 11:45 pm

I became an organ donor after years of not being one.

I still kind of have this fear that the attending doctor will end up causing me to flatline rather than ressurrect me so he can pay for his student loans by selling my organs on the black market.

Of course, there's supposed to be a law preventing that but Coma was a scary book and even scarier movie, folks.

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Mon May 16, 2016 12:02 am

Good for you for signing up anyway, BR, that's an awesome thing to do. And I sincerely hope that by the time you've finished using your organs they're too worn out for anyone to want them.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby NathanLoiselle » Mon May 16, 2016 1:17 am

I personally don't plan on donating my organs. God, Nathan! Like that won't be a hint that you're a robot! I mean I'd donate my organs if it wasn't for me planning to live forever. Aha! Fixed it one!

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Mon May 16, 2016 2:02 am

Don't worry Nathan, if you were a robot you'd be happy to donate your circuits and gears after you're permanently deactivated because it'd be the logical thing to do. So we know you're not.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Twistappel » Mon May 16, 2016 6:02 pm

52xMax wrote:I don't see the point of this article. What did people expect scientists would use corpses for?

That was pretty much my reaction.

In the event that I leave my body to science, I am fully prepared for the possibility that it may wind up getting used for pranks by medical students.

Or y'know...

You say "New World Order" "communist echo chamber" like it's a bad thing.

The TCSer formerly known as "Sister Morphine’
Twistappel
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Failed the Turing Test

Postby SandTea » Mon May 16, 2016 6:05 pm

Grimstone wrote:I agree, but don't some theists believe they get literally resurrected?

I believe (lol) you are correct but I think it hasn't been a physical resurrection for quite some time. Like if you donated and they gave someone your eyes, you can't see in the afterlife sorta thing. It's like your soul is put in a new host, right? Basically you still aren't donating your 'soul' to science. I understand the "your body is gods temple" thing. No drinking, no tattoos, etc but I think that is still for the living not bodies post death. Eh, I could be wrong. Never really did 'get' religious stuff.

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus