4 Ways You Are Being Aged Out By The Gaming Industry

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

4 Ways You Are Being Aged Out By The Gaming Industry

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Sun May 08, 2016 7:29 pm

http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-ways-you-are-being-aged-out-by-gaming-industry/
"Video games are all stupid, immature COD clones comparable to those colored blocks that infants play with"- The guy who claims that commenting on articles is the source of all your unhappiness.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Re: 4 Ways You Are Being Aged Out By The Gaming Industry

Postby gisambards » Sun May 08, 2016 8:31 pm

This article was full of it - as Rowntree's articles tend to be - and it's clear he just doesn't like video games. It's true that the majority of video games - even the majority of successful video games - are not massively intellectually stimulating, and yes, some of the most successful video games out there are actually crap, but a) not being intellectual doesn't preclude a piece of media from being entertaining, and b) there are also quite a lot of video games that are both enjoyable and intelligent. And I don't see why video games are different from any other medium in this respect - can it really be argued that the majority of movies and books are intellectually stimulating?
It's disappointing, because I do like Winston Rowntree's artwork, and I liked some of his Subnormality webcomic - I just wish he wasn't such a faux-intellectual snob.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Sun May 08, 2016 10:18 pm

I didn't read the article, and I haven't really been a "gamer" for a few years, but what the hell is with all these people attacking video games? Games are just as valid of an activity as anything else. If you don't like video games, here's an idea, write about something you know or like.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Sun May 08, 2016 10:25 pm

It's lazy writing. Gamers are generally seen as America's NEETs, and are therefore easy targets.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby BinaryStep » Sun May 08, 2016 11:43 pm

It's interesting how games are judged differently than all other mediums. It's pretty uncommon to see someone argue that movies as a whole are terrible because of Transformers.

Did You Know?
Getting shot can increase your
BULLET RESISTANCE
BinaryStep
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep
Title: White Lightning

Postby BinaryStep » Mon May 09, 2016 12:01 am

Also, my favorite line from the article:

Where the heck are you supposed to go to learn about different and more creative video games if all you've ever seen is what's on the shelves at Target?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Steam

Did You Know?
Getting shot can increase your
BULLET RESISTANCE
BinaryStep
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep
Title: White Lightning

Postby iMURDAu » Mon May 09, 2016 12:02 am

Sounds like someone spent three weeks getting nowhere fast in Dark Souls III and wrote an article.

Plus if I'm being aged out by the gaming industry.... well... they fucked up. I play more than I did a decade ago on more platforms than I did then. And for those unaware my first console was the Atari 2600 and I've got less than 4 months of being halfway to 70.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby ghijkmnop » Mon May 09, 2016 12:27 am

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby Marcuse » Mon May 09, 2016 12:46 am

Having read some of the article (I zoned out about halfway through) and some of the author's linked interview website, I'm pretty convinced that he's desperate to portray gaming as "problematic" in that sort of way. You know the way. As such I don't really take anything he might care to write about the subject very seriously, as he's obviously pushing an agenda so strongly that it's interfering with his ability to be analytical about video games.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Paradox » Mon May 09, 2016 12:57 am

Marcuse wrote:Having read some of the article (I zoned out about halfway through)

I...looked at the pictures.

[Signature removed for nonpayment.]

The artist once again known as Dox.
Paradox
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: True Neutral

Postby Taluun » Mon May 09, 2016 1:16 am

So this article mainly made me wonder if he had every really posted good articles about video games. One of the earlier articles he has had (its actually just one of his old comic articles) wasn't terrible but it does feel like it had similar traces of his current writing styles. So to go through some of his sections:

The protagonist: This one isn't too bad, he actually includes Gordon Freeman and Mario as good protagonists. The similarity to his current styles though I would say is the comment in the bad section. "tellingly idealized version of game staff" seems to have gone from a single type of protagonist who is bad to the only/overwhelming majority of protagonists, from his opinion at least.

The Sidekick:Ok I can get behind most of this portion, I don't necessarily agree that there are no good sidekicks but as a joke it works. I do dislike "anything voiced by a celebrity" as an awful sidekick. Once again I wont get too upset by this as it seems like he is going for a joke more than a serious viewpoint.

Villain: Why must I like the villain less than the hero for it to be a good villain? I don't even see a joke it just seems silly. His awful examples are just a bunch of tropes and thats making the mistake of saying any trope is inherently bad. Once again I don't really see a joke to go along with this as it doesn't seem to be exaggerating anything.

The game world: I would say the only one of these that are really bad is the illusion of multiple paths one. Even then not all invisible walls are bad and they can be a very necessary thing to have.

Indie games: Well I don't even know what he is complaining about. This one reaks of personal opinion being the clearly correct way of thinking.

The Future: He seems to think we are somewhere between bad and awful nowadays.

Taluun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Mon May 09, 2016 1:24 pm

My favourite video game is comparable to kids' coloured blocks. What's he got against playing with blocks?

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Paradox » Mon May 09, 2016 2:29 pm

CarrieVS wrote:My favourite video game is comparable to kids' coloured blocks. What's he got against playing with blocks?

Tetris?

[Signature removed for nonpayment.]

The artist once again known as Dox.
Paradox
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: True Neutral

Postby Marcuse » Mon May 09, 2016 3:06 pm

Toy wrote:
CarrieVS wrote:My favourite video game is comparable to kids' coloured blocks. What's he got against playing with blocks?

Tetris?

Minecraft.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Mon May 09, 2016 3:33 pm

Marky is correct. Although I do also kind of like Tetris, I certainly wouldn't call it my favourite and indeed I barely call it a video game.

Last edited by CarrieVS on Mon May 09, 2016 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Next