No Trans Characters: 6 Realities Of Writing Video Games

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

Postby Paradox » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:40 pm

There's...nothing about trans characters.

Have they literally slapped trans in the title just for the clicks?

[Signature removed for nonpayment.]

The artist once again known as Dox.
Paradox
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: True Neutral

Re: No Trans Characters: 6 Realities Of Writing Video Games

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:44 pm

Faris/Sarisa from FFV. Boom.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Matthew Notch » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:20 pm

Sweet Jesus. The worst part is that it's actually a pretty great article. Good job writers and interviewees! But what the damn, website that hosted their article?

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby AboveGL » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:31 pm

Sorceress Adel from FFVIII is androgynous in appearance.

That said, I share Toy's and Notch's ire on choice of title.

AboveGL
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:44 pm

It might have been part of the original article and got cut.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby archaeologydalek » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:59 pm

REDACTED

Last edited by archaeologydalek on Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
archaeologydalek
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby Taluun » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:34 pm

I can't say the commenters are justified though. It's a general trend that seems to be happening at cracked that we don't like. Even if it was included in the article it would still be clickbait as it unlikely that it was a major aspect if it could get cut like that.

Additionally its in an article about how the heads of the game companies are forcing the writers to do crappy work to match some dumb desire and yet here cracked appears to be doing a similar type of thing. This seems to be a great example of irony imo.

Taluun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby gisambards » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:46 pm

archaeologydalek wrote:it's only because the mistake involved social justice that the commenters have lost their goddamn minds.

I don't think that's entirely fair. Cracked's editorial team have a reputation for intentional clickbait, and the higher-ups often show a disdain for the minorities they claim to be supporting. Although it's more likely to be a mistake, I hardly think it's surprising people have assumed this is Cracked's editorial team intentionally placing "progressive" clickbait at the expense of a minority none of them happen to be. That is probably somewhere along the trajectory Pargin has taken the site on.
Also, even if it was a part of the original article, it was presumably not a major enough part to warrant being the title.

Also, just to counteract the original title, Assassin's Creed Unity - part of one of the series called out in the article - contains a transgender character: the Chevalier d'Eon. So even if it had been part of the article, it would have been incorrect.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:01 pm

gisambards wrote:Also, just to counteract the original title, Assassin's Creed Unity - part of one of the series called out in the article - contains a transgender character: the Chevalier d'Eon. So even if it had been part of the article, it would have been incorrect.

And AC Syndicate has Ned Wynert, an entirely original transgendered character, although YMMV on the overall quality of that portrayal.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby SilverMaple » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:06 pm

Well, a title change after a couple of hours will be welcome this time.

Also, Krem from Dragon Age: Inquisition is a really well done character, I think - his personality doesn't revolve around the fact that he's trans, and it's not mentioned constantly, but he'll talk about it if you ask him.

Not really relevant, I guess, seeing as that topic isn't actually in the article, but that game is just awesome and I'm not going to miss a chance to bring it up.

Bert wrote:The best part of my job is fistfighting an 8 year old every day.

//Friend come and go, like the wave in the ocean, but true ones stay like an octopus on our face.\\
SilverMaple
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Nerd of a Feather

Postby Tesseracts » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:07 pm

I don't see what everyone is complaining about.

They said no trans characters, and there are no trans characters in the article.

Point proven.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby Marcuse » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:22 pm

archaeologydalek wrote:More than likely. It's happened with other articles (including mine); it's only because the mistake involved social justice that the commenters have lost their goddamn minds.

I don't think they have here though. I think it's annoying because the title is misleading, I'm not going to turn into a pumpkin if an internet article title is misleading, but it is annoying. It is especially annoying when the misleading title is framed as a criticism of the topic of the article, when no such criticism is made in the body of the article itself. It makes the criticism seem hollow and like it's there to bait. Whether it's a genuine mistake or not, I don't know, but I am disappointed that a good article with an interesting source needs to have such a pointlessly inflammatory title.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Matthew Notch » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:21 pm

At any rate, the title is, while not a bitty part of the article, much fewer words than the article itself, which I enjoyed.

I don't personally play "blockbuster" games, really, partly out of not owning the latest "gen" consoles and/or an actual desktop computer, and partly because gun games of any sort just make my eyes glaze over. But I watch my brother in law play COD or Fallout or Halo or whatever from time to time, and while some of the stories are indeed pretty hokey, I have always suspected there were some very talented writers being held back from putting an awesome story out. I suspect it more whenever a really great indie title is released, because those developers had to come from somewhere, and often it's their new calling after getting fed up with working for the big box.

I do suspect that there was not originally a bit about the lack of trans characters, although it's possible the writers interviewed had a story about wanting to write in a trans character and that being shot down by corporate. Though when it comes to the games they are discussing, I also wonder how much it would add to the story having a trans character involved, or if it would just be tokenism. Well they seem like talented guys, so maybe they could weave a narrative around that. It might be interesting to see in the future.

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby CarrieVS » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:39 pm

Marcuse wrote:I'm not going to turn into a pumpkin if an internet article title is misleading, but it is annoying.

The misleading title traumatised me so badly that I lost my identity, and now identify as the first thing I saw when I came to my senses, which was a machine for moving water.

Last edited by CarrieVS on Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Marcuse » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:42 pm

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep