7 Ways You Can Accidentally Become A Social Outcast

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

7 Ways You Can Accidentally Become A Social Outcast

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:44 am

http://www.cracked.com/blog/7-ways-you-can-accidentally-become-social-outcast/

I know most of this is due to teenaged insecurities, and insecurities are necessary for growing as people, why did we have to need insecurity for that? Why couldn't personal growth be due to apathy? Or bleak cold-hearted realism? Or grapefruits?

If only all that emotional teenager haywire brain stuff got all stuffed into 5 minutes in mid-sleep at the age of twelve, and upon waking up, people will have the brain of a 25 year old and the attitude of a cynical 40 year old alcoholic, and all that stupid teenager-y bullshit would be completely non-existent. Now wouldn't that be a paradise?

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Re: 7 Ways You Can Accidentally Become A Social Outcast

Postby Taluun » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:59 am

I really just did not care for this article. It, like most of his articles, seems to be an awful lot of projecting and saying something is true when it really isn't and we are clearly just lying if we say otherwise.

It also reads as though every single high school stereotype is not only true but actually much much worse IRL which considering I would say high school stereotypes had almost no basis in reality based on my experience its tough for me to take him seriously.

Taluun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:40 am

Oh wow. It looks like David Wong wrote another deeply disturbing article which will keep me awake at night wondering if there's any goodness in this world. I can't wait.
Be honest:

Cruelty is attractive. As long as it's not aimed at you, of course.

It's true in our friends, sexual partners, and idols. You think Benedict Cumberbatch's Sherlock is at his sexiest when he's delivering withering insults to everyone around him -- that's when you most want to bang him or be him. It's the same with Tony Stark and the same with Dr. House. All of our heroes don't just win; they also make everyone else look foolish in the process, including their allies. It's attractive because, deep down, you want to be that one person who's not in their line of fire and to have that cruel strength on your side, working for you.

im-projecting.jpg
im-projecting.jpg (95.37 KiB) Viewed 4797 times

So, yes, when rumors started flying that some guys in our class were having sex, I didn't miss the fact that all three of them were bullies -- rough types who smoked, who matured earlier, and got chest hair sooner. They tortured kids in the locker room and extorted lunch money, and they got rewarded with sex. I'm not mad at the girls, not now -- they were 14, what did they know? They only knew that those guys were "cool," the way today we think of Walter White or Star Lord as cool. Renegades. Rebels. Badasses. The fact that they don't obey the rules must mean they're strong and brave.

I just saw them as lumbering meatheads, eyes full of dumb animal meanness. So, yeah, seeing them get rewarded made me angry -- at them, at the girls, and at the system.

I'm not going to sugar coat this, this is a bunch of sexist bullshit. The fact that he's a grown ass man and still thinks girls are "rewarding" jerks with sex means he's blind. This shit makes me seriously angry, how can Cracked spout all this psuedo-feminist bullshit and then seriously write this?

Suppose it was really the "bullies" only who were getting laid (this is a big thing to suppose, but we will suppose it for now). Couldn't there be any other explanation for this other than the girls are "rewarding" them for being bullies? Like, maybe they were the ones confident enough to ask a girl out? Maybe the girls who date bullies are themselves jerks and bad people? Is that possible, or are only men allowed to be "bullies?"

And who the fuck is he to say sex is a reward that women give to men? What kind of bullshit is this? Do men ever reward behavior with sex, or is sex only a prize you get from women?

Oh yeah, and is it possible that this "nice guy" David Wong who constantly thinks of school shootings, might not actually be as "nice" as he thinks he is? Yeah, that's certainly possible.

Confession: If I were 17 again and my first exposure to feminism was a bunch of conventionally attractive girls on Tumblr snarking about how I was a monster because I felt "entitled" to female attention, I would have redpilled so hard it'd have crashed the Matrix.

Based on describing sex as a reward from women, I'm not convinced he feels less entitled now. He's probably less frustrated because he gets laid now, but that doesn't mean his internal attitudes have changed.

Look, I was bullied a lot and I was really tormented by the school experience. I hated the entire thing and I wanted it all to literally explode many times. Yet I still see people as human beings and I'm not furious they don't all want to fuck me, because what kind of fucking stupid attitude is that? This is some Elliot Rodger level edgelord bullshit.

I get that I'm privileged in other ways; I genuinely don't know what it's like to have a severe mental illness

Okay David Wong... this isn't a joke or a put down. You are mentally ill, and you obviously are not going through treatment for it. I'm not saying that to be nice either, it's just a fact.

I don't fault anyone for being tormented, or angry, or dysfunctional. I'm really dysfunctional and an emotional wreck, I know it sucks. However, I do fault people for, I don't know, blaming everyone other than themselves for their problems. Which honestly seems to be what this entire article is doing. It just seems weird that someone who seems incapable of taking responsibility for his own life is constantly creating these advice articles which are widely shared all over social media about how to live life correctly.
12687993_938283342920522_8949445618738419337_n.jpg
12687993_938283342920522_8949445618738419337_n.jpg (21.92 KiB) Viewed 4797 times

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:54 am

Well, Wong is resentful of the fact that he wasn't allowed to flash people as a child, after all. That would explain that level of pettiness.

Also, it's ironic that Wong wrote an article about teenaged insecurity when he handles criticism with that exact same sort of mindset.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:06 am

Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus. *fetches ice cream to alleviate the bitterness*

I've gotten seriously pissed off at and disturbed by Wong's insane biases and projection before, but even on skimming, this article read like the manifesto every budding shooter and bomber writes. I'm mostly backing Tess in the assessment. Wong has demonstrated time and time again that he's firmly rooted himself into a personal ball-of-repressed-rage echo chamber, and that's some of the unhealthiest shit in all of mental unhealthiness. I may not like the guy, but I can't help but be worried for him.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby Australia » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:49 am

I think they misspelled "sociopathically" as "accidentally".

What do you mean sociopathically isn't a word? My mother always said I was a sociopath when she meant accident. Actually she called me an accident too, where I guess she meant talented.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby Marcuse » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:40 am

I suppose if nothing else, it explains a lot of his other content. I read it wanting to find things where he was just oh so wrong and I could pick holes in it, but when I read it I just felt pity. It sucks he was treated like that, and it sucks worse that so many others are.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby DashaBlade » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:01 pm

I'm just going to quote this:

David Wong wrote:I have no doubt that I was and still am an asshole

It's good to see him finally acknowledge it.

DashaBlade
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cat Lady

Postby Tesseracts » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:48 pm

I'm glad he knows he has faults, but he is still justifying them in absurd ways. Like claiming everyone finds "cruelty" attractive.

The whole "nice guy" mentality will just never die, will it?

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:29 pm

Like claiming everyone finds "cruelty" attractive.

This concept isn't wholly out of nowhere, I feel like it's pretty common to see people fall for someone who's generally aggressive or cruel in the hope that it'll be directed at anyone other than them. It's the subject of this (slightly NSFW) Die Antwoord song:

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:32 pm

Seems like it'd be easier to just not bother with said hoping in the first place.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:39 pm

Ericthebearjew wrote:Seems like it'd be easier to just not bother with said hoping in the first place.

Some people don't think they have any other option. Some people see their parents acting like that and think that that's how people operate. I don't believe that's really the case, but I don't begrudge people who do think that their hopes. A lot of traditional masculinity tends to rest upon that idea of being a dick to everyone except the person you love.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Irishjava » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:37 pm

What the actual hell? This article read like something that got cut from "Catcher in the Rye". He literally used the word "phony" more than once in reference to his classmates.
David Wong wrote:"But, the key word there is "skill." It takes practice, learning what makes people feel good. Some love overt compliments, some don't, some love to be the center of attention, some don't. But, like any other skill, you get better at it with repetition. It's worth it, however, because from what I've seen, it covers all manner of sins -- a weird face, an annoying laugh, a lack of remarkable talents ... all can be forgiven if you can get over the rage and bitterness and start giving people the very thing you've been denied."

That's straight up sociopathic, and probably not to be passed off as adult advice to hurting teenagers. The fuck?

"Prepare to be emancipated, from your own inferior genes!"
-Abradolf Lincler
Irishjava
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:42 pm

I might enjoy these articles if they were marketed as individual life experience and not universal truths for all of humanity.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:45 pm

We are legion, for we are Wong! All who criticize shall perish!

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Next