6 Weird Ways Sexism is Screwing Up Healthcare

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

6 Weird Ways Sexism is Screwing Up Healthcare

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:17 am

http://www.cracked.com/article_23304_6-weird-ways-sexism-screwing-up-healthcare.html
Despite advancement in technology, the field of medicine seems to be somehow stuck in the 1950s.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Re: 6 Weird Ways Sexism is Screwing Up Healthcare

Postby cmsellers » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:48 am

Huh, my father's depressive episodes sound exactly like "male depression," while my depression manifests more standard symptoms. But the standard symptoms are apparently signs of "female depression."

So does this mean that I should have been born a woman after all?

Answer me, oversimplifications of medical science for a popular audience, ANSWER ME!

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Tesseracts » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:50 am

There is no female version of autism. Autism often goes unnoticed in girls because girls are heavily pressured to conform to social norms more than boys are, so they learn how to mask their issues faster.

Also, is it possible men may actually be more likely to have autism? Disorders and abnormalities are generally more common in men. Some people theorize autism is an extreme form of masculinity, because traits like visual spatial thinking are considered masculine. My own observations support this idea, as every autistic woman or girl I have ever met is more masculine behaving than typical.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby cmsellers » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:30 am

Tesseracts wrote: My own observations support this idea, as every autistic woman or girl I have ever met is more masculine behaving than typical.

Define "masculine."

Because it's certainly not true in my experience.

One thing that is true is that autistic girls tend to be rather unfeminine, because they don't conform to social norms, including gender roles. But that seems to be true of introverted girls in general. And introverted/autistic guys, come to that.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby skrotkanon » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:29 am

Tesseracts wrote:There is no female version of autism. Autism often goes unnoticed in girls because girls are heavily pressured to conform to social norms more than boys are, so they learn how to mask their issues faster.

Also, is it possible men may actually be more likely to have autism? Disorders and abnormalities are generally more common in men. Some people theorize autism is an extreme form of masculinity, because traits like visual spatial thinking are considered masculine. My own observations support this idea, as every autistic woman or girl I have ever met is more masculine behaving than typical.

One kind of autism is called fragile X syndrome meaning a X-chromosome is damaged which makes one a bit socially handicapped. But women have two X-chromosomes so the symptoms actually are somewhat lighter in this case.

Also, even Hans Asperger described the diagnosis (that was later named after him) as strengthening all the typical male behaviours. People with autism has been described as cold and calculating. While this is completely false (we just have trouble expressing emotions to various degrees, we don't lack them) there is research that supports this idea.

There's also weird stuff like there being slightly more transsexuals among autists, the theory goes that we are bad at conforming to societys gender-norms so our gender is less easily defined.

skrotkanon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Sleepyhead