My Eating Disorder That Ruins Thanksgiving: 4 Realities

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

Postby Paradox » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:28 pm

It feels a lot like Sensory Hypersensibility for me. Aviel and I are known sufferers within the forums. Both of us have expressed distaste for strong tasting foods and excess seasoning. Food that is too soggy, or chunky is usually a bit repulsive as well.

I'm not sure about Avi, but I also have a problem with complex flavors, like mixing something citric and sweet. I prefer simple, nearly tasteless food.

I wonder if the writers also have an issue with clothing texture and some kinds of noises.

[Signature removed for nonpayment.]

The artist once again known as Dox.
Paradox
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: True Neutral

Re: My Eating Disorder That Ruins Thanksgiving: 4 Realities

Postby Tesseracts » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:50 pm

I was sensitive to food as a child and usually choose bland food. I just ate bread on Thanksgiving. And... I ate bread pretty much every other time also. Not really a big deal, I think it's an exaggeration to say it ruins Thanksgiving. Then again my family has never been in the habit of punishing me for not eating perfectly or having their feelings hurt for dumb reasons.

There is some evidence ARFID is an anxiety disorder. I think it's dangerous that the article says people with ARFID can't change. It can cause malnutrition, so I don't think treatment should be out of the question.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby cmsellers » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:14 pm

I wonder if I have the same problem as Dox, Kat, and Avi. I'm a very picky eater, but not nearly as selective as you three apparently are.

There's two things I hate the taste of enough to avoid completely: shrimp and cruciferous vegetables. There's some other things I hate the taste of enough to avoid when I can: tomatoes, cilantro, onions, and plain egg whites. There's a lot of things I avoid because of texture: I won't eat leafy vegetables, most root vegetables, pasta, or anything mashed that I wouldn't put on toast. I also dislike walnuts for textural reasons. I also refuse to any animal that didn't have a backbone, even though I'm pretty sure I've had crab and clams when I was really little and they were unobjectionable. But crustaceans look like bugs and shellfish are slimy.

I almost always need to ask a waiter at a restaurant to hold something (except with BBQ joints where you're getting pure meet), and it's probably easier to list the foods I do eat than those I don't: meat from animals with backbones, dairy, most fruit, most seeds (except beans and walnuts), bread, shamrocks, and raw carrots (reluctantly unless they're in carrot cakes).

However I've gotten less picky over the years. Turkey got me tolerating onions and tomatoes to some degree, and I will eat small amounts of greens if there's enough other stuff that I can't tell they're in there. Moreover, unlike you three I like strong flavors and love spices, love them in fact.

Also, I definitely have pica, which is the eating of things I shouldn't eat. I used to eat erasers and paper (especially kleenex); I still eat my own hair and nails. Of course all of those things are bland and flavorless, so it's not exactly contradictory if I do have A/RFID as well.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Tesseracts » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:32 pm

I used to eat Kleenex, but I don't know if it was pica so much as an irrational impulse to do stuff I'm not supposed to do. I would never eat hair because I know that stuff gets trapped in your stomach and then it needs to be surgically removed or whatever.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:44 pm

cmsellers wrote: shrimp

Holy shit. This. THIS. The texture is soooo wrong.

But I also won't eat most mushrooms because they're too chewy.

And geez, who didn't eat napkins as a kid?! They were slightly sweet. But not straw paper. That was right out.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby CarrieVS » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:58 pm

I have a reasonably large selection of foods I can eat, but it's still as easy to list what I don't as what I do. And when I refuse a food, you probably really don't want me to try and eat it. I eat stuff I don't enjoy or even dislike, if it's put in front of me. I hate to be demanding or wasteful. If I turn down a food, it's either acutely painful to eat it, or I will vomit if I eat it.

I enjoy bland foods I don't find anything completely tasteless, and I really enjoy the flavour of plain pasta or plain rice - yes it does have a taste. I don't necessarily dislike stronger flavours, but I usually get fed up with a strong taste quite soon. I dislike a lot of textures, and there are some things I can't stand just because of the appearance. I almost always prefer to eat one food at a time, so in most cases I will take a mouthful of each food on the plate in turn, instead of putting a bit of everything on my fork at once. I used to do this even if it meant deconstructing food like a sandwich or lasagne, but I was told off for that so I usually don't.

I suspect I have some degree of sensory hypersensitivity; I also have issues with the feel of clothes and suchlike, and I have episodes of being hypersensitive to everything, especially sounds.

I never ate tissues, they're too fluffy and stick all over your mouth. I ate ordinary paper.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby cmsellers » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:01 pm

Tess wrote:I would never eat hair because I know that stuff gets trapped in your stomach and then it needs to be surgically removed or whatever.

I nibble it into small pieces; I've never had a problem. Also, I mostly eat my beard hair rather than my head hair now. It has a nicer texture.

sunglasses wrote:But I also won't eat most mushrooms because they're too chewy.

I've never eaten mushrooms so can't comment on the texture, yet I know that they also taste terrible.

In Turkey, pizza often comes with mushrooms by default, as I learned one time by ordering a "pizza with sucuk and no tomato sauce." Even after I removed them, there was an unpleasant taste on the parts where the mushrooms had been.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Paradox » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:24 pm

Sensory hypersensibility isn't exactly about being a picky eater. Avi said he liked doughnuts, and I was the only one on IRC chat who found that weird. Donuts are usually overfilled with jelly, or cream, and that makes them feel soggy, the bane of the sensory hypersensible. Then he said he usually takes some of the filling out.

And it's not just about taste, it affects sounds, smells, and tactile stimuli. It's less about finding that a certain food tastes "bad" than finding it tastes "strong" or "complex". Yes, there are food that I think kinda do taste good, but I still find repulsive because of their texture, or how "composite" they are.

It's like someone drenched in a very good parfum: you may like the smell, but you probably don't like how much of the smell you are feeling.

[Signature removed for nonpayment.]

The artist once again known as Dox.
Paradox
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: True Neutral

Postby NathanLoiselle » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:34 am

I'll eat pretty much anything put in front of me. Except Kale. I fucking hate kale. Kale sucks my balls.

What I'm saying is I hate Kale.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:38 am

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:40 am

I'm not a picky eater, but I'm not the biggest fan of bitterness outside of citrus, mint, and booze. Speaking outside the whole bear shtick, in reality I can't stand fish due to the bitter oils they release when cooking, though I'm quite fond of non-piscine seafood, especially calamari. I also can't stand certain flavors like kiwi or banana unless it's mixed with something else. And I can't really handle artificial grape flavoring unless it's soda.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby Tesseracts » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:47 am

As a child I was rather particular about textures. I couldn't eat most vegetables, because I couldn't chew them easily. There wasn't anything wrong with my mouth, it just felt wrong. When I did chew them, I had difficulty making myself swallow it. The taste was fine to me, but I had trouble with the texture of it. I tried to eat vegetables, because I wanted to be healthy, but it was more difficult than it should have been. I avoided Indian food and anything spicy like the plague even though my family frequently ate it.

As a teenager my tastes completely changed. I started eating just about everything and Indian food suddenly became my favorite food. From Googling this condition, this seems to be the case with most people. Most people outgrow food sensitivity. Why don't others? I think research needs to be done on this.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep

Postby skooma » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:55 am

Huh. I usually think they keep finding a really boring amount of new ailments, while failing to understand jack about the old ones (seriously, how does the funding work?), but occasionally. So irl I'm always the fussiest eater I know, and semi-secretly think "normal" eaters are weirdly twisted by some unknown awful bad conditioning, at least that was always my unconsidered theory. I do love vegetables, always have, more than anything else, and spinach remains my lifelong favorite food, but they have to be fresh and nicely steamed, with no weird sauces. Also I'll eat salsa or mustard straight with a spoon, but the average meal actually makes me want to gag.

Also, cheese, I started trying to live entirely on cheese as a kid, never stopped.

Skooma seems the type of person to chase me down and force me at gun point to receive their encomium with good graces. ~Jack Road

* I got caught in the crossfire of one of skooma's fucking frisbees ~Sister Morphine
skooma
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep
Title: The Lightning

Postby Bromo » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:45 pm

As a person with Asperger's, I can sorta understand what you're talking about. When I was little, I was very sensitive to the surrounding environment, and I was relatively picky to how and what I ate. Everything I ate had to be placed in a specific spot on my plate, some of them should be cut, and god forbid if some of them are touching each other. If you might have guessed, I got better as I got older.

The funny thing is, I wasn't really picky with any food back then. Just with how they were served. If I saw any any mac n' cheese touching my chicken nuggets in my Kids Cuisine, all hell broke loose.

"I spent a good 20 minutes searching for my glasses, when I realized I was seeing a bit too well.

Then I reached for my face and there were they." --Toy, 2016

The Pokémon master formerly known as Kevin Durant.
Bromo
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Token Homo