What time is it? Adventure Time!

What have you been watching?

Re: What time is it? Adventure Time!

Postby DoglovingJim » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:20 am

KleinerKiller wrote:
DoglovingJim wrote:You mean like early on after The Great Mushroom War when she was still a kid with Simon or her current state in Candy Kingdom?

I hope we get a good majority of the former. We've seen the Mushroom War aftermath in a few episodes, but we haven't really explored it. We also haven't witnessed many of the possible transitional stages between "nightmarish social ruin worldwide" and "fantastical wonderland with a few pockets of ruin". This could be a great opportunity to flesh out that most dark and compelling of plot threads through an interesting perspective.

Yeah I agree, hopefully it's mainly the aftermath of the Mushroom War. Also would be interesting to see who turned her into a vampire and under what circumstances. (Because she wasn't always a vampire right?)

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby AdricDePsycho » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:24 am

DoglovingJim wrote:
AdricDePsycho wrote:Hey guys, you do know that this October, there's gonna be an Adventure Time miniseries, right? It'll focus a bit on Marceline, which is good because season six had barely any focus on her. Plus, Rebecca Sugar wrote a new song for the series.

You mean like early on after The Great Mushroom War when she was still a kid with Simon or her current state in Candy Kingdom?

Let me consult the official description:

"In this multi-part series, Finn and Jake face a new threat to Ooo when Princess Bubblegum’s experiment unleashes ghosts from Marceline’s past."

And there's a poster from the AT Crew's Tumblr: http://kingofooo.tumblr.com/post/123854 ... supervisor

The miniseries is called Stakes, I believe.

And a lot of people think the poster has the Vampire King in the background.

We all go a little mad sometimes...I'm just a little mad all of the time!
AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Knife-Wielding Lunatic

Postby KleinerKiller » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:45 am

AdricDePsycho wrote:Let me consult the official description:

"In this multi-part series, Finn and Jake face a new threat to Ooo when Princess Bubblegum’s experiment unleashes ghosts from Marceline’s past."

And there's a poster from the AT Crew's Tumblr: http://kingofooo.tumblr.com/post/123854 ... supervisor

Well, that's... slightly disappointing. Still sounds pretty cool, but slightly disappointing all the same. I imagine they'll have copious flashbacks, but I was really hoping for a full-fledged prequel arc entirely focused on Marceline. That's still territory untapped.

Ah, well, can't have everything.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby AdricDePsycho » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:48 am

KleinerKiller wrote:
AdricDePsycho wrote:Let me consult the official description:

Well, that's... slightly disappointing. Still sounds pretty cool, but slightly disappointing all the same. I imagine they'll have copious flashbacks, but I was really hoping for a full-fledged prequel arc entirely focused on Marceline. That's still territory untapped.

Ah, well, can't have everything.

Word of advice: never expect what you think you'll get from Adventure Time. The entire show is made to subvert all expectations.

And that is why it is so awesome.

AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby AdricDePsycho » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:00 pm

Double post, I know, but look, we've got some big news for the upcoming miniseries and Season 7.

Season 7 is to start airing on November 2nd, while the miniseries Stakes is to air on November 14th. Additionally:

Spoiler: show
Rebecca Sugar, former storyboarder/songwriter for the series and creator of Steven Universe, is voicing Marceline's mother.

Also, there's gonna be a BMO holiday special this holiday season.

AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:15 am

Stakes is very good.

Without spoiling anything, I'm disappointed in the overall trend of Flanderization of the Ice King. He used to be a legit threat who forces princesses to marry him against their will, and got seriously downgraded to a useless oaf with depression. I guess every TV show needs a bumbling oaf, but we already have Cinnamon Bun for that.

What started this is Rebecca Sugar's backstory about Ice King's pre-Ice King life. That made him more sympathetic. It was a great episode and one of the defining moments of the Adventure Time series, but it doesn't mean he has to STAY sympathetic. I would find it more interesting if the sympathetic elements coexisted with the more evil elements. Instead, the villainous elements seem to have been thrown right out the window. He even seems like he's trying to be friends with Finn and Jake.

Lately, Adventure Time is focusing much more on quaint character driven slice of life stories. I understand why they're doing this, probably because of the success of Steven Universe. Don't get me wrong, I like the character based stories. I enjoyed the unexpected backstory of Root Beer Guy. I really enjoy the character development of Beemo, he only gets better and better, and I love the complex relationship between Marceline and Princess Bubblegum. However, I also loved that weird, nihilistic, fate-of-the-world stuff from last season. I liked Prismo, I liked the Lich, and I liked the bizarre comet plot. I really wanted to see where the situation with Martin was going. Now, I fear they will drop that altogether.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby AdricDePsycho » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:19 am

Tesseracts wrote:Stakes is very good.

Without spoiling anything, I'm disappointed in the overall trend of Flanderization of the Ice King. He used to be a legit threat who forces princesses to marry him against their will, and got seriously downgraded to a useless oaf with depression. I guess every TV show needs a bumbling oaf, but we already have Cinnamon Bun for that.

What started this is Rebecca Sugar's backstory about Ice King's pre-Ice King life. That made him more sympathetic. It was a great episode and one of the defining moments of the Adventure Time series, but it doesn't mean he has to STAY sympathetic. I would find it more interesting if the sympathetic elements coexisted with the more evil elements. Instead, the villainous elements seem to have been thrown right out the window. He even seems like he's trying to be friends with Finn and Jake.

Lately, Adventure Time is focusing much more on quaint character driven slice of life stories. I understand why they're doing this, probably because of the success of Steven Universe. Don't get me wrong, I like the character based stories. I enjoyed the unexpected backstory of Root Beer Guy. I really enjoy the character development of Beemo, he only gets better and better, and I love the complex relationship between Marceline and Princess Bubblegum. However, I also loved that weird, nihilistic, fate-of-the-world stuff from last season. I liked Prismo, I liked the Lich, and I liked the bizarre comet plot. I really wanted to see where the situation with Martin was going. Now, I fear they will drop that altogether.

Screw Martin, I'm glad he's gone. Fucking prick.

The Lich will probably be back, you can't keep a good villain down. Prismo is cool too, so he's gonna be back, depending on Kunail Nanjiani's schedule, because he's got a TV show on HBO he's on, ya know.

Plus, not counting Stakes, we're only 5 episodes into the next season, and we have a total of around 43 episodes in total to air. Just hang on, man.

And I think you're forgetting something about the Ice King: he's still depicted as mental and dangerous. Remember Princess Monster Wife, when he Frankensteined himself a wife from the body parts of other princesses? Or when he lashed out at his living furniture in Friends Forever in a psychotic rage? He's still shown to be a threat in Stakes as well, since he manages to capture Finn pretty easily.

AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:49 am

I have a few things to say about Adventure Time.

1. I like it well enough, but it is a children's show, and some of the episodes--particularly the lighter episodes--are aimed squarely at kids. It's also a lot more prone to toilet humor than say Gravity Falls or Phineas and Ferb which I'm not fond of.
2. I find that the episodes I like least are either episodes which break the 11 minutes up into smaller parts (the Graybles), or don't have enough content even to fill 11 minutes (many of the slice-of-life episodes, as Tess mentioned.) The best episodes are usually multi-parters, since this allows the time for the plot development you'd have in an adult sitcom (or sometimes more.
3. I love Marcelline. When I started watching the series, after the first or second episode with her I went and cherry-picked all the episodes with her in them, before finishing the rest of the episodes.
4. Yes, the Marci/Bonnie dynamic is always fun.
5. In light of points 2, 3, &4, Stakes is awesome. Oh, it's still targeted at kids, which means that
Spoiler: show
you know from the moment the vampire court returns Marcelline will have to kill them all and become a vampire again, because status quo is god,
but it's still charming and pleasant to watch.
6. Yes Adric, I'm glad Martin is gone too. He's an utterly one-dimensional character. Again, it's a kid's show, but still it's not fun to watch him engage in his latest scam against Finn over and over.

Last edited by cmsellers on Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby AdricDePsycho » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:00 am

He only ever did a scam with Finn twice, but yes, fuck Martin, I'm glad he more or less committed cosmic suicide because he found no pleasure in this life.

AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:29 am

Cmsellers, I hope you don't mind, but since white text isn't an effective prevention against spoilers, I went ahead and edited in the spoiler tag. I also left it white, for EXTRA PROTECTION. (You can delete the white if you want.)

Marceline is clearly the best character. Or one of the best. There's so many good characters in this show. The important thing is, we all must praise Marceline immediately. Everything about her character is brilliant, and the idea of a vampire who wants to be cured of vampirism is interesting. Yes, other vampires in other stories have expressed regret at being a vampire, but Marceline is the only one I know of who actually has the cure available to her. It's all the more interesting that her vampirism isn't even a significant burden since she doesn't have much need to consume blood.

I disagree about Martin. As Finn's father and one of the most notorious criminals in the multiverse, he had a lot of potential. He never did much because every episode featuring him was more about Finn's rage at him. Yeah, he's not a likable person, but that's what makes him great. He's like the Umbridge of the Adventure Time universe.

I think Adventure Time may be moving away from darker stuff. The existence of Martin was wonderfully dark. Finn puts all this energy into finally finding his father, and when he finally finds him, he turns out to basically be the worst person in the universe. It wasn't what I was expecting at all.
AdricDePsycho wrote:And I think you're forgetting something about the Ice King: he's still depicted as mental and dangerous. Remember Princess Monster Wife, when he Frankensteined himself a wife from the body parts of other princesses? Or when he lashed out at his living furniture in Friends Forever in a psychotic rage? He's still shown to be a threat in Stakes as well, since he manages to capture Finn pretty easily.

Mental, yes. Dangerous? Eh... Finn and Jake seem a lot more annoyed by him than scared. He doesn't have his act together, you can pretty much count on him screwing up his own evil plans somehow. Also, I haven't done a count, but I'm pretty damn certain most scenes featuring the Ice King these days are about his loneliness and loserdom. Lots of stuff about his weird personal habits, not much about actually being a threat to anyone in Ooo.

I don't think I have actually seen the Princess Monster Wife episode. That's weird, I thought I had seen them all. I need to catch up.

Besides, that was season 4. We're on season 8 now. Friends Forever was season 6, and it certainly depicts him as more "mental" than "dangerous." I mean, the episode is about his attacks on furniture, relatively friendly furniture at that, and in this battle the furniture almost wins. I can't take a sociopathic ice wizard seriously who is almost destroyed by his own sentient lamps and keys.

I admit I don't recall him capturing Finn in Stakes, when did that happen?

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:39 am

@Tess:
I used white text since spoiler tags seem intrusive mid-sentence, but I'll trust you if you say it's insufficient. I thought spoiler tags were because large blocks of white text would be intrusive. Any rate, white text within spoilers is definitely overkill, so I removed it.

The Ice King captured Finn and Marci for the one-eyed vampire lady.

And you're right, Martin could have been good. But for one of the most notorious criminals in the universe, he seems so petty. But he's not quite petty enough to make his pettiness seem funny. He's just banally evil.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Tesseracts » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:17 am

I just watched Princess Monster Bride. This episode is really good, and it has the subtle weird touches which make this show great. Like the chicken nuggets which seem to be shaped like Adventure Time characters, the plant growing in the microwave, and the inexplicable ice wildebeests.

And yet my verdict is... no, Ice King is still way pathetic in this one.

The ability to steal body parts from some of the most powerful people in Ooo and use them to create original life is certainly horrifying, but predictably, he doesn't put this power to good use at all. Finn and Jake are clearly far more afraid of the Frankenstein princess than they are of Ice King. They went unconscious for what seems like hours, and instead of locking up his sworn enemies or something, Ice King chooses instead to place the limp bodies of Finn and Jake at the dinner table and pretend they're eating. This is definitely more on the crazy side than the dangerous side.

Most of the episode doesn't focus on the horror of what the Ice King has done. Instead, it focuses on his bizarre attempts to foster a relationship with his creation, which are hopeless due to him being emotionally crippled. At the end of the episode, Finn and Jake defeat the Ice King while literally blindfolded. They don't even put up a very good fight either, Finn basically flicks Ice King in the face with his finger and Ice King surrenders. He's acting like the Milhouse of bad guys.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:02 am

On Martin, I have to agree with Tess. He was a giant douchebag with very little in the way of redeeming qualities, but that's what he was meant to be. It was a great way of handling issues of parental abandonment and abuse while keeping it mixed in with the plot, and his existence spawned that utterly brilliant episode with Finn constructing the tower to the sky. I would've loved to see him become the out-and-out villain of the season and have his antagonistic relationship with Finn explored in deeper detail, and it's a shame he didn't get more than a few episodes devoted to him before he got an anticlimactic conclusion. And that the whole tease with his comet being full of eldritch abomination criminals didn't really pan out into anything of note.

I'm still holding out hope that Pen Ward has continuing plans for him, though.

On Ice King, I've only been watching the seriously plot-relevant episodes since a while before the Citadel two-parter (and I haven't had the chance to catch Stakes yet, sadly), so I didn't notice his villain decay as much as others may have, but knowing that, I can't say I blame the writers too much. He was a serious threat early on, yeah, but since then he's been upstaged by scarier and more powerful threats, and with audience sympathy toward him shooting up since "Holly Jolly Secrets", it would be difficult to have him maintain relevance as a serious antagonist.

Besides, story-wise, he does have what's basically meant to be dementia. It could be justified that his mind just keeps decaying, and now he's too addled and weak to do anything other than lamely try to make amends in between fits of pure insanity. But that's just my speculation.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby AdricDePsycho » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:26 am

KleinerKiller wrote:On Martin, I have to agree with Tess. He was a giant douchebag with very little in the way of redeeming qualities, but that's what he was meant to be. It was a great way of handling issues of parental abandonment and abuse while keeping it mixed in with the plot, and his existence spawned that utterly brilliant episode with Finn constructing the tower to the sky. I would've loved to see him become the out-and-out villain of the season and have his antagonistic relationship with Finn explored in deeper detail, and it's a shame he didn't get more than a few episodes devoted to him before he got an anticlimactic conclusion. And that the whole tease with his comet being full of eldritch abomination criminals didn't really pan out into anything of note.

On Ice King, I've only been watching the seriously plot-relevant episodes since a while before the Citadel two-parter (and I haven't had the chance to catch Stakes yet, sadly), so I didn't notice his villain decay as much as others may have, but knowing that, I can't say I blame the writers too much. He was a serious threat early on, yeah, but since then he's been upstaged by scarier and more powerful threats, and with audience sympathy toward him shooting up since "Holly Jolly Secrets", it would be difficult to have him maintain relevance as a serious antagonist.

Besides, story-wise, he does have what's basically meant to be dementia. It could be justified that his mind just keeps decaying, and now he's too addled and weak to do anything other than lamely try to make amends in between fits of pure insanity. But that's just my speculation.

You do know that Pen Ward isn't really working on the show itself anymore, right? He's busy writing the script for the Adventure Time theatrical movie.

AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:39 am

AdricDePsycho wrote:
KleinerKiller wrote:On Martin, I have to agree with Tess. He was a giant douchebag with very little in the way of redeeming qualities, but that's what he was meant to be. It was a great way of handling issues of parental abandonment and abuse while keeping it mixed in with the plot, and his existence spawned that utterly brilliant episode with Finn constructing the tower to the sky. I would've loved to see him become the out-and-out villain of the season and have his antagonistic relationship with Finn explored in deeper detail, and it's a shame he didn't get more than a few episodes devoted to him before he got an anticlimactic conclusion. And that the whole tease with his comet being full of eldritch abomination criminals didn't really pan out into anything of note.

You do know that Pen Ward isn't really working on the show itself anymore, right? He's busy writing the script for the Adventure Time theatrical movie.

I was not aware. Like I said, I'm not exactly the most hardcore fan anymore, so I don't follow behind-the-scenes updates about it unless others point them out to me or they catch my attention with interesting subject matter. *pouts*

KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

PreviousNext