The Writer's Workshop-Log Ideas, Collaborate, Get Feedback

A place to hang your fingerpaints, blue ribbons and the things you've created.

The Writer's Workshop-Log Ideas, Collaborate, Get Feedback

Postby LegionofShrooms » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:08 pm

The Writer's Workshop

*note-for the sake of not having to scroll through multiple parts of the post to find what you are looking for, subsections for sections 2-4 are posted using spoiler tags

What Is This?

A bit of a rough concept in the making at the moment, but after talking it over with various others on the site, we began discussing how the people of The Comment Section (TM) are of the creative persuasion, and therefore like to write.

But writing is hard, especially when you have to do it on your own. So, after further talking, I took a moderator hostage asked for permission to create a trap thread where anyone interested in writing articles but having difficulty could pool their tasty, tasty brain meats with other members on the site in order to help bring their idea to fruition.

How Does It Work?

Erm.. Well... Honestly, we're still figuring that part out.

Because this is a relatively new idea that I've been wanting to try out for a while, this thread is still a bit of a prototype, meaning I'll be relying partially on feedback from others in order to gauge interest and to help streamline the thread. So anyone with ideas on how to improve or incorporate new elements into this thread, feel free to speak up.

For now, this is going to function as a place for people to pool resources and ideas, look for help with fact checking and research, or for collaboration on writing and creating jokes for articles whenever they find themselves hitting a block in the writing process.

If enough interest or use seems to come out of this thread, it might even develop into a full subforum, but for now, we'll keep most of it to this little thread.

So Who Is This Thread For?

Ah, now this one I'm prepared for! This thread exists for anyone who wants to contribute to writing an article, but does not want to go it alone, or needs help polishing their final pitch.

That means feel free to post here if you:

-have an idea for an article, but need help finding examples to fit the theme or topic in question
-need images fitting the jokes or theme of your article and would like some help finding/editing them
-would like to log an idea that you would think would make a good article, but don't have the time/desire to write one yourself
-would like feedback on whether or not others think a particular joke/idea works for the context of an article
-need someone interested in helping to fact check/edit
-pretty much any other creative roadblock you hit in the course of your writing and believe others could help with

Bottom Line

This is a place for people that want to have a hand in making something for the site, but need some form of assistance or don't wish to go it alone. Ideally, I am just aiming to create an area on the site where we can get together to create some top notch content and have a rollicking good time doing it.

Ideas can be saved for future posterity, and you can find others interested in helping with some of the pesky finer details of your comedy/horror/drama/fanfiction/Soren articles.

The following section is an area to log ideas, pictures, interesting factoids or other things that could potentially be of use for writing an article. Have an idea or fact to share for an article but don't want to write it yourself? Put it here and anyone that's interested can take a crack at it.

Ideas
Ideas For Articles Or Podcasts

Have an idea for a good article but don't want to write it yourself? Record it here.

From LegionofShrooms-Soooooooooo... I've got a good idea for a Christmas article, but I might not have time to write it as I'm writing another Christmas themed one at the moment. It's about crazy yuletide traditions that have popped up over the years, from streaking in nothing but red underwear in a town in Spain on New Years Eve to rollerskating to mass in Venezuella. If anyone is interested, PM me. I've already got some research on the idea that you're free to use.

Images
Images

Found an interesting or funny image that might be of use for jokes or even as the subject matter of an article? Log it here.

Sorry, nothing at the moment. Check back later.

Facts and Factoids
Facts and Factoids

Found out something interesting today but don't know how to incorporate it into an entire article? Leave it here for someone else to use.

-Heard about a Vietnamese warrior name Lady Trieu for the first time today who, after the Chinese occupation of Vietnam in the third century AD, fled into the mountains and raised a small army to resist them. There's debate as to how much of the accounts of her life are true as she was said to be nine feet tall and ride into battle on an elephant wielding a sword in each hand, but she has become an interesting cornerstone of folklore in Vietnamese culture (insofar as I can tell).

Kinda like the Jobs section of an ad website. Use this section to ask for help with an article, volunteer to help others or find someone to co-write a piece with.

Help Wanted
Help Wanted

Have a great idea but need help with the research, jokes, fact checking, images, etc? Leave a post asking for help and we'll put an ad here for you.

Sorry, no one is looking for assistance yet. Please check back later.

Offering Services
Offering Services

Interested in contributing to articles but don't feel like doing the bulk of the writing? Volunteer on the thread to offer your services if you know what I mean with fact checking, helping with jokes, captions, etc., and we'll put an ad here.

-Need pictures and captions for your article? JamishT can be your guy! PM me!

-PM LegionofShrooms if you'd like any help with research or fact checking. I'm pretty good at ferreting information out of teh Interwebz, so if you prefer to do the writing without any of the bothersome "checking for accuracy" or "coming up with valid examples" nonsense, I'd be happy to help.

Colaboration
Colaboration

Looking to work on a piece with another member on the site but still want to have an active hand in writing it? Leave a post on the thread and we'll put an ad here.

Sorry, nobody is looking to co-author a piece yet. Please check back later.

An area to request feedback on an idea, joke or entire article from fellow TCSers, or ask for help with proofreading before submitting it for editting.

Feedback
Feedback

Sorry, nobody is looking for feedback on an article yet. Please check back later.

Proofreading
Proofreading

Sorry, nobody is looking for assistance proofreading an article yet. Please check back later.

A list of other resources on the site for those interested in submitting content.

The Revised Editorial Process
(A thread by Marcuse with everything you need to know about getting your article published)

TCS Writer's Room
(A thread by TypicalMichael for those looking to hone their writing abilities)

Get Your Banners Here!
(Looking for a banner? Check out JamesT's thread when he's around)

The Rules Subforum
(Because, well, we want to make sure people don't get themselves banned)

Anyways, if you made it all this way, dear god, what's wrong with you, reading this whole long ass post, you could be watching Game of Thrones or something right now, I hope you've found this thread worth your time. Feel free to PM me or post if you have any suggestions, would like to give feedback or are interested in having a hand in this, and as always:

Last edited by LegionofShrooms on Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Tell your momma, tell your poppa, tell your sisters and your brothers, tell your lovers, tell your children, tell your dominatrix:

The Writing Workshop is where all the cool kids hang out.
LegionofShrooms
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep
Title: Mastermind of Fungi Based Evil

Re: The Writer's Workshop-Log Ideas, Collaborate, Get Feedba

Postby Australia » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:11 pm

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby LegionofShrooms » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:49 pm

Australia wrote:

Tell your momma, tell your poppa, tell your sisters and your brothers, tell your lovers, tell your children, tell your dominatrix:

LegionofShrooms
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby LegionofShrooms » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:36 pm

Not sure if this constitutes a double post or not given the nature of the thread (if it does, I'll ask a moderator to delete it), but I just wanted to give a few updates on what's going on so far.

JamishT has kindly offered to help with pictures and captions for anyone interested in that.

I, likewise, would be happy to help with research and fact checking if anyone would like.

I've got an idea for a holiday themed article involving strange traditions from around the world if anyone is interested, but probably won't have time to write it due to this other holiday themed article I'm trying to crank out, so if anyone's up for taking a crack at that, PM me.

I think that's it.

LegionofShrooms
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep