5 Weirdly Accepted Ways The Media Is Racist Against Asians

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

5 Weirdly Accepted Ways The Media Is Racist Against Asians

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:47 pm

http://www.cracked.com/article_23286_5-weirdly-accepted-ways-media-racist-against-asians.html
This article just seems blissfully self-unaware, but I can't quite put my finger on it as to Hao. Sum Ting just feels Wong about this article, aside from the obvious fact that the Title Guy Takeshi all over it. But then again, I might just be Kim-magining things.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Re: 5 Weirdly Accepted Ways The Media Is Racist Against Asia

Postby gisambards » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:19 pm

My favourite bit of the article is that they actually make a joke about Russians always being drunk. I mean, if you're writing an article about how we shouldn't generalise certain cultures even in fun, maybe the best thing to do would be to not do that in your article.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Windy » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:22 pm

Ericthebearjew wrote:http://www.cracked.com/article_23286_5-weirdly-accepted-ways-media-racist-against-asians.html
This article just seems blissfully self-unaware, but I can't quite put my finger on it as to Hao. Sum Ting just feels Wong about this article, aside from the obvious fact that the Title Guy Takeshi all over it. But then again, I might just be Kim-magining things.

OMG YOU PEOPLE AND YOUR PUNS

Windy
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby ghijkmnop » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:43 pm

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby PSTN » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:44 pm

gisambards wrote:My favourite bit of the article is that they actually make a joke about Russians always being drunk. I mean, if you're writing an article about how we shouldn't generalise certain cultures even in fun, maybe the best thing to do would be to not do that in your article.

Well, in all fairness to Russia...

PSTN
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: II

Postby Revolving Royal » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:39 pm

gisambards wrote:My favourite bit of the article is that they actually make a joke about Russians always being drunk. I mean, if you're writing an article about how we shouldn't generalise certain cultures even in fun, maybe the best thing to do would be to not do that in your article.

That reminds me of an article were the author was whining about how many people use gay slurs on twitter and insulted a boy band by calling them "bulimic lesbians" in the section before.

"We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled. The trick is knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out" -Ray Bradbury

I am not “full of hate” as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine. ~Internet Wiseman
Revolving Royal
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Lurker

Postby Tesseracts » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:19 am

1. Author is white.

2. Failed to demonstrate tabloids target Asians specifically with their nonsense.

3. Pretty sure Cracked also jumped on the "Japan is weird" train also.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby NathanLoiselle » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:34 am

'Bulimic Lesbians' is the name of my new band.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Windy » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:25 am

Tesseracts wrote:3. Pretty sure Cracked also jumped on the "Japan is weird" train also.

They say SJWs are guilty of everything they accuse others of.

Windy
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby ghijkmnop » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:46 am

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby DanteHoratio » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:59 pm

gisambards wrote:My favorite bit of the article is that they actually make a joke about Russians always being drunk. I mean, if you're writing an article about how we shouldn't generalize certain cultures even in fun, maybe the best thing to do would be to not do that in your article.

To be fair, that might have been Hypocrisy humor, and might have been intended

"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself." -Mark Twain

"I couldn't live a week without a private library - indeed, I'd part with all my furniture and squat and sleep on the floor before I'd let go of the 1500 or so books I possess." -HP Lovecraft
DanteHoratio
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep
Title: Let's get dangerous

Postby Qinglong » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:12 pm

NathanLoiselle wrote:'Bulimic Lesbians' is the name of my new band.

Cool! You can be the opening act for Ableist Scum.

Man created logic and because of that was superior to it. Logic He gave unto me, but no more. The tool does not describe the designer. More than this I do not choose to say. More than this you have no need to know.
Qinglong
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Experienced Bystander

Postby Edgar Cabrera » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:02 pm

And I thought that it was small potatoes in comparison with some other articles that tried to tackle racism (that's not to say that there were parts in which it turned into straight-up lecturing.) I also think that it could have been better as part of the "news that turned out to be B.S." series.

James Bond: "Red wine with fish. Well, that should have told me something."
Red Grant: "You may know the right wines, but you're the one on your knees. How does it feel, old man?"
From Russia with Love

"This woman is an idiot without a basic grasp of the English language, and the guy is an abusive creepy weirdo."
– JamesT's review of Fifty Shades of Grey.
Edgar Cabrera
Blobber
Blobber

Show rep
Title: A Masked Brightener

Postby blehblah » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:34 pm

Again and again, year after year, we see this phylum of credulity-straining clickbait splayed everywhere, leading one to reasonably assume that everybody who writes for the Internet is in truth the same stoned intern. So what sort of aggressive bullshit has been making the rounds lately?

I sense a tinge of self-awareness.

Of course the title has nothing to do with the article. It's five examples of silly stories about something-something Asia.

Whenever there's a dubious nugget of news about the latest cra-a-azy fad to come out of the eastern Pacific Rim, otherwise sane websites start frothing at the opportunity to scream about how Asian people are adult-shaped babies who are all 40 seconds from toddling off a nearby cliff

Otherwise sane websites?

#5 Buzzfeed, Cosmo, Koreaboo, Daily Mail
#4 CNN, WaPo, USNews (real stories), then... Buzzfeed, Cosmo, Shanghaiist
#3 http://indiatoday.intoday.in, koltfm.com, Vice, BusinessInsider, Shanghaiist
#2 Well, this one is strange because it's... reasonable.
#1 Let's dive-in...

csmonitor.com (notable quote - "The companies allow workers to have a monthly relaxation day, in order to “reduce pressure during working time,” according to ChinaFotoPress. This includes the face mask day" because it is Hallowe'en twelve times a year!)

Or, from thestar.com, "The monthly event uses various themes that allow workers from security guards to office workers to let their hair down, so to speak, with “faceless day” being the latest, according to the Associated Press."

Holy shit-on-a-stick, it's like casual Friday, but MONTHLY! Okay, we get it. And the cwazy headline belongs to csmonitor.com, which carried the sub of:

As more Chinese worry about workplace stress, some companies are hoping to relax their workers by allowing them to occasionally wear masks

In the end, this is a "silly things that can be found online" article that I suspect was repurposed to elicit clicks.

Let us not blame the author - it is a collection of funny stuff from websites that deserve to be laughed at.

EDIT: clarity - the last line was "websites that deserves to be laughed at". The websites deserve to be laughed at for their foolishness, not the article (which is a collection of the foolishness of the websites).

A quantum state of signature may or may not be here... you just ruined it.
blehblah
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Error General, Panic Colonel

Postby LegionofShrooms » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:44 pm

Hypocrisy? In MY Cracked articles?

It's Mao likely than you might think.

Tell your momma, tell your poppa, tell your sisters and your brothers, tell your lovers, tell your children, tell your dominatrix:

The Writing Workshop is where all the cool kids hang out.
LegionofShrooms
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep
Title: Mastermind of Fungi Based Evil