Only a True Gentleman Knows...?

Discussion, in general

Re: Only a True Gentleman Knows...?

Postby Anglerphobe » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:39 pm

Well you sort of grasp it and then pull it up. It works rather well. Splendidly, even.

Edit: In all seriousness, unless it's really long for a one handed sword, it's not a problem at all to draw like that. If you're using a shield, it's much better than drawing from the left hip so it was the fashion of the early middle ages. I would contend that a sword you can't draw in this way is a sword you shouldn't carry for self defence.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby 52xMax » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:40 pm

The concept of chivalry and the etiquette associated with being a gentleman, or indeed a lady, has its origins on social hierarchy rather than gender roles. The way of showing your social status was to behave like someone with a proper education and manners. One of the most famous examples is the tip of the hat, which is thought to have originated as a way for knights to remove their helmets as they met on the road, to identify each other. That story is likely apocryphal, but just as good a reminder that, like my earlier example, most of these behaviors had a practical reason at some point.

And as it happens, our society has been for the longest part patriarchal, with men adopting a protective stance towards women. Now, there are a lot of problems with that, and that's why for the most part we are moving on to more egalitarian societies, in the same way we are more educated as a whole, which is, incidentally, the reason the general population adopted chivalrous traditions such as opening doors and tipping our hats and whatnot, which used to be things that distinguished the rich and powerful from the common folk. You didn't see peasants putting their capes over puddles, because they had no shoes, much less wore capes. And nowadays we don't even wear hats, so plenty of traditions are being discontinued, while others that have equally impractical origins have persevered, because we have romanticized them, or are just too ingrained into the status quo that it might take at least a couple more generations for them to fade out, or maybe they will prevail into the next millennium.

Me? I'm not exactly old fashioned, but I was raised in a very traditional society which still holds to many of these standards. I have analyzed some of them, and for the most part I have no problem with them because they are innocuous gestures that in no way diminish anyone involved. Opening the door for a woman is just a thoughtful thing to do, as is lending an arm to cross the street; and as long as we're not talking about honor killings or challenging people to a duel, I don't think there is harm in being protective of a woman no more than it is being protective of a child, or an old person, or a member of someone's family, or really anyone we care about. It's not that the people who do it always think that it is their duty because Tarzan strong and Jane weak, because for the most part men who are not cavemen realize that women are capable of fending for themselves, but it is the thought that counts, and some people appreciate it for what it is, just a gesture.

Then there's the whole thing where men are expected to pay for dinner and stuff during a date, with the implied consequence that women must repay in *cough* some other way. This, I will concede, is definitely the fault of gender roles, and it's definitely fucked up. But again, if this was ever part of the social contract, it is not anymore, at least it's not the case for the most part in civilized societies. Mind you, men are still expected to pay for stuff even if women are independent and just as capable of earning money as men are, but that has always been part of the ritual of courting, and women used to have many suitors, none of them was entitled to even touch the hand of a woman without her gloves unless there was a chaperon. So I don't understand why some people think it's problematic so long as both parties agree to it. Also, whenever we have people over and take them out to eat, my father insists on getting the check as part of his host duties, and I'm pretty sure that has nothing to do with wanting to bone any of the guests involved... but I'm getting off track here.

The point is more or less what Dox said earlier, except with a bunch more words.

"When in doubt... well, don't ask me!"
52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Salmon the Wise

Postby LaChaise » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:38 am

Gender roles suck and I'm doing my best to fight them. I definitely will sleep with you if you buy me food. Also, I'm quite happy when I'm told to go back to the kitchen, because cooking is awesome.

Am I doing this right?

"Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?"

"I'll die soon. But the last twenty minutes have been the best years of my life."
LaChaise
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep
Title: Lust in Translation

Postby Andropov4 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:43 am

LaChaise wrote:Am I doing this right?

*shakes head with disappointment* Just get back in the kitchen.

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a lamb."- Ryan Stiles

Jenna is mine.
Andropov4
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Rhetorically Correct Rascal

Postby DamianaRaven » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:48 am

I'm rather fond of the saying, "if I can walk to the kitchen after sex, you don't deserve a damn sandwich."

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby 52xMax » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:17 am

DamianaRaven wrote:I'm rather fond of the saying, "if I can walk to the kitchen after sex, you don't deserve a damn sandwich."

Ableist scum.

"When in doubt... well, don't ask me!"
52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Salmon the Wise

Postby Qinglong » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:57 pm

52xMax wrote:Ableist scum.

Band name!

Man created logic and because of that was superior to it. Logic He gave unto me, but no more. The tool does not describe the designer. More than this I do not choose to say. More than this you have no need to know.
Qinglong
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Experienced Bystander

Postby Paradox » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:57 pm

LaChaise wrote:Gender roles suck and I'm doing my best to fight them. I definitely will sleep with you if you buy me food. Also, I'm quite happy when I'm told to go back to the kitchen, because cooking is awesome.

Am I doing this right?

/me gives Chaise à bag of skittles

[Signature removed for nonpayment.]

The artist once again known as Dox.
Paradox
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: True Neutral

Postby sunglasses » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:41 pm

Paradox wrote:
LaChaise wrote:Gender roles suck and I'm doing my best to fight them. I definitely will sleep with you if you buy me food. Also, I'm quite happy when I'm told to go back to the kitchen, because cooking is awesome.

Am I doing this right?

/me gives Chaise à bag of skittles

He's French, he wants real food, Dox.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby LaChaise » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:20 pm

Yeah, Skittles only get you a quickie. I have standards.

"Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?"

"I'll die soon. But the last twenty minutes have been the best years of my life."
LaChaise
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:07 pm

Pov'll put out something fierce for a bowl of chili pie!

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Paradox » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:34 pm

Chaise didn't specify what kind of food. Now he has to sleep with me.

/me separates a pair of very nice pajamas for Chaise

[Signature removed for nonpayment.]

The artist once again known as Dox.
Paradox
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: True Neutral

Postby DamianaRaven » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:50 pm

Folks, I don't think we're being gentlemen anymore. *grins rakishly* Fuck it! *throws her shirt over the nearest lampshade* Who's up for an omelet?

DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby LaChaise » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:56 pm

Paradox wrote:Chaise didn't specify what kind of food. Now he has to sleep with me.

/me separates a pair of very nice pajamas for Chaise

Fine, but I get to try on your dresses.

LaChaise
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:22 pm

I have some pretty ones you're welcome to beautify with your lovely self - bring some stuffing.

DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

PreviousNext