Bone marrow

What do you do with your free time?

Bone marrow

Postby cmsellers » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:13 am

I've been making a lot of pork ribs lately, because they're relatively cheap and delicious, not to mention easy. I've also splurged and gotten a beef rib at a barbecue point, and probably will again. Whenever I have ribs, I think about how much of the meal by weight goes to waste, because I (and most Americans) don't eat bone marrow. (If I did eat bone marrow, the outsides of the bones and the cartilage would be all that were left over.)

My late maternal grandfather, whose parents were from Austria and always seemed very European himself, would eat the marrow religiously, which grossed out many of his children. Most Americans I've met who tried it tell me that bone marrow has a weird taste and an appallingly greasy texture. As someone who is particular about both things, I've thus never tried it.

Bone marrow is supposedly some of the richest food on the planet, high in both fat and nutrients, and I've read suggestions that we evolved our big brains by eating bone marrow, being some of only a handful of animals that could get at it (a few animals, like dogs, hyenas, and Tasmanian devils have bone-crushing jaws; out ancestors had hands and rocks).

It looks absolutely delicious; my mouth waters when I look at the open end of a marrowbone. But I can't bring myself to try it, and unlike other foods, nobody has ever egged me on until I did.

So I figured I'd ask you lot: has anybody eaten bone marrow and enjoyed it? Does anybody have any recipes (keeping in mind that I don't eat soup), so as to reduce what might be otherwise overwhelming fattiness?

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Re: Bone marrow

Postby LaChaise » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:35 am

I do eat bone marrow (honestly, is there anything the French won't eat?)

There's only one occasion we do it in my family though: pot-au-feu. Pot-au-feu is pretty good by itself, but eating the bone marrow is the best part, the treat my mom and I always fight over. We eat it with a spoon, adding salt and some lemon juice over it.

Without the lemon or the salt, it is indeed just a greasy blob. With them, it's a delicious greasy blob. Plus, it takes in all the flavor from the broth, and gives the broth its greasy surface.
A match made in heaven, truly (well, dirt poor French peasants really, but my point stands).

"Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?"

"I'll die soon. But the last twenty minutes have been the best years of my life."
LaChaise
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep
Title: Lust in Translation

Postby Jack Road » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:54 am

LaChaise wrote:Is there anything the French won't eat?

Jack Road
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby LaChaise » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:24 am

I would at least *retches* try.

"Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?"

"I'll die soon. But the last twenty minutes have been the best years of my life."
LaChaise
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep
Title: Lust in Translation

Postby AboveGL » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:32 pm

I'd love to try it some time.

I've GOT to try it some time.

AboveGL
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:06 pm

Ewwwwwww. I remember when my sister was little (2)she'd crack open chicken bones and suck out the marrow. I didn't even know what the fuck bone marrow was until I heard my Dad laughing about her habit.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Tuli » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:51 pm

sunglasses wrote:Ewwwwwww. I remember when my sister was little (2)she'd crack open chicken bones and suck out the marrow.

<.<

I still do that... Sometimes.

Sometimes I also chew on pork ribs to get at the marrow but they are generally too tough to yield much. I also eat all the cartilage. Mm, crunchy.

I've never had a dish specifically made out of marrow though.

Tuli
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Experimental Protrude

Postby Aquila89 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:09 pm

When I was a kid, my mother would prepare bone marrow sometimes. We had it on toast with salt and pepper. I quite liked it, I regarded it as a treat.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep