Internet trend: Treating animals like people

General interest items found around the web.

Re: Internet trend: Treating animals like people

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:13 pm

That chart is quite literal in my case. What is it about cats that give one the urge to remind them what animal they are?

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby CarrieVS » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:25 pm

*makes endearing kitten eyes*

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Re: things that should not be funny, but are (WILL OFFEND!)

Postby DamianaRaven » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:44 pm

CarrieVS wrote:I don't feel like it's unreasonable to be offended at being described as creepy.

*shrugs* Eventually, one just gets used to it.

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby Anglerphobe » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:47 pm

I've had my cat since he was a kitten, but today our relationship is more like that of Jay and Silent Bob than of parent and child. Which is which tends to vary.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby ShuaiGuy » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:14 pm

<Redacted>

Last edited by ShuaiGuy on Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShuaiGuy
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:07 am

But, people! Pets have been treated as people long before the internet came around. It was disturbing then too.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby skooma » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:20 am

Humans have loved animals universally throughout all time in the same normal way, or close enough. I find genuine anthropomorphism and hostile knee-jerk reactions to it equally offensive and proof of needing a real life.

Also I just wanted to post this:

I'm too sick to get a life this week, so deal with it, hardly lurking.

Skooma seems the type of person to chase me down and force me at gun point to receive their encomium with good graces. ~Jack Road

* I got caught in the crossfire of one of skooma's fucking frisbees ~Sister Morphine
skooma
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep
Title: The Lightning

Postby sunglasses » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:23 pm

I see nothing wrong with the term pet parents. A childless woman I know (she's infertile) calls her dogs her "fur-babies." I have another friend, with children, who calls her animals her "fur kids." I mean, most of the people I know who do this aren't dressing up their dogs in baby clothes and putting them in high chairs to spoon feed them. I mean, there's always the one or two who do but I think most pet owners will view them as a bit off.

I think if you're the one bothered by the terminology and what people call their pets, it's your issue not theirs. By you, I mean you plural and not one particular person.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Arkyle » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:11 pm

I have actually had someone tell me "although I don't have children of my one, I can completely relate to what it's like having a new born because I've had a puppy". Yeah, no. You don't have a damn clue.

I think this is the real reason this trend bothers me, because most people who practice this kind of behaviour (the one's I've come across at least) are also the ones that seem to believe that their cat should have the same rights as my child.

Arkyle
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:59 pm

I can say that some things are similiar with a puppy vs a baby IN THAT they will wake you up frequently during the night to pee when they're really young. So I do get that you're rankled but I assume the frequently waking is what they were talking about. Unless they hand reared the puppies, in which case they have to wake up every two hours or so to toilet and feed the pups.

Honestly, I haven't met anyone who thinks that a cat should have the same rights as a child. That's a new one to me.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby DamianaRaven » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:21 pm

One of the most offensive ways people treat their pets like people is the refusal to go anywhere without bringing an animal with them. Every single retail job I worked involved arguing with at least one indignant dipshit (always female, for some reason) about how their horrible little chihuahua can't ride in the Goddamn buggies, no matter how harmless and well-behaved you swear it's gonna be.

Some people think they can negate laws and store policies with the words "companion animal." This is not to be confused with a "service animal." Service animals perform specific tasks like guiding the blind, and are among the most well-trained animals on the planet. A companion animal, on the other hand, is basically just a prescription pet, for conditions like depression and PTSD. Unlike service animals, which tend to be easily trained species such as dogs and monkeys, "exotic" pets like chickens and snakes can qualify as companions and no, they don't have to be trained not to shit on the floor and bite people.

I realize depression and PTSD are serious conditions that deserve any kind of effective treatment. However, I don't think either condition merits the privilege of carrying an untrained (possibly ill-tempered) animal everywhere you go. I think that if you can't function in public without a snake around your neck, or a ferret in your purse, or some designer dog that's going to shit everywhere and snarl at everyone, then you probably need more professional help than you're getting.

On the other hand, if you're bringing your dog to the grocery store for no other reason than "I can't weave my shnookie wookie pookums aw awone," fuck you. You're a spoiled, selfish dingbat who is (probably literally) making the world a shittier place.

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:39 pm

I might take some flak for this, but I think of my dog as my child to a certain extent.

When I get home from traveling, I'll usually spend as much time with him as I can. That involves lots of walks and car rides. I can't take him with me when I travel, so I make up for it as best as I can.

I have taken him inside stores with me. Mainly the ones that allow pets (he loves Lowes and Home Depot), but I've taken him into other stores in days where it'd be absolutely criminal to leave him in the car, and people don't mind. He's friendly and he has all of his shots up to date.

Do I dress him in people clothes or think his well-being trumps those of real kids or real people? No, of course not. But as someone who's adopted dogs for a long time, I know that they are meant to be more than just something that's tied to a stake in the yard.

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby skooma » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:39 pm

DamianaRaven wrote:One of the most offensive ways people treat their pets like people is the refusal to go anywhere without bringing an animal with them.

I think those kind tend to abuse; I had a tenant like that briefly, and she also passed on veterinary care (any, and some was very seriously needed), because she said she couldn't handle the separation. She also sadistically beat hell out of that little dog, pretty much every day, until it screamed. Not a good memory, I couldn't save the dog.

Aside from renting to craigslisters, which is extreme, I don't (knowingly) run into that neurosis, and assume it would have to be situationally related to do so, like your retail example, and working with animals would be brutal that way of course.

Which is why this entire thread honestly makes absolutely no sense to me. Destructive neurosis, like animal dependence that's often abuse, probably on a spectrum with hoarding, has nothing at all do to with normal, loving human animal relationships. It's like apples and oranges, the only possible logic that's implied is an idea that there's some batshit reason to pick a species to be okay with - well there's no such thing, there's just neurotic and fucked up versus normal. I'm posting because the entire premise of the thread offends and disgusts me.

If it's not part of your life for some reason, why jump on people who include animals as family, which you might notice is generally median normal for anyone who likes animals enough to have any.

Skooma seems the type of person to chase me down and force me at gun point to receive their encomium with good graces. ~Jack Road

* I got caught in the crossfire of one of skooma's fucking frisbees ~Sister Morphine
skooma
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep
Title: The Lightning

Postby PSTN » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:42 am

I've never been all that into animals. I grew up with a few dogs and cats, but I never really understood the point. Though I recognize that others do see value in pets, and if so, that's their thing.

However, one thing that will never not enrage me is seeing people driving around with their stupid dog in their lap. It's a distraction, and it's dangerous. People don't seem to understand that an airbag isn't a fluffy pillow to nap on during a crash. It's a bomb going off in your face, and your precious shih tzu is between you and the steering wheel when it happens, it'll kill your dog, and possibly kill you too.

PSTN
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: II

Postby Krashlia » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:26 am

CarrieVS wrote:*makes endearing kitten eyes*

(gasps) :!: :shock: :?

pets CarrieVS
pets CarrieVS
pets CarrieVS