5 Insane Things I Was Taught In Abstinence Only Sex Ed

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

5 Insane Things I Was Taught In Abstinence Only Sex Ed

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:24 pm

http://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-1896-5-insane-things-i-was-taught-in-abstinence-only-sex-ed.html

There seems to be a bit of a disconnect when it comes to romance in the Bible Belt, which sort of confuses me. There's the idea that premarital sex cheapens love, but there are plenty of sexually active couples who are deeply in love, often to the point of being what Japan refers to as an "idiot couple". And it's not like they practice arranged marriages, so what exactly are they getting at?

Also, there's a bit of an unmentioned problem, both in this article and whenever the topic come up. As this sort of "education" is found in public schools, there are going to kids who practice a different religion or no religion at all, yet this "education" is dictating their sex lives based on Christian ideals. But then again, being the deep south, any objection based on this sort of situation is likely to be met with this sort of question.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Re: 5 Insane Things I Was Taught In Abstinence Only Sex Ed

Postby Crimson847 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:54 pm

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby ghijkmnop » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:40 pm

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:48 pm

I'd say this anime character is the best argument in favor of sex education:

NSFW

Spoiler: show

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:16 am

Pre-marital sex does not cheapen love!

It enhances it.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Krashlia » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:40 am

Ericthebearjew wrote:I'd say this anime character is the best argument in favor of sex education:

NSFW

Spoiler: show

oh dear goodness that!
It's gotten to the point that she doesn't realize that the cute picture of a "girl licking a mushroom" isn't so and that isn't a mushroom, and whats on her mouth is NOT milk!

Come to think of it, isn't their penal system, censorship code, and law enforcement rather self defeating? at some point they won't know what to look for (much like Anna herself with the aforementioned mushroom).

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Crimson847 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:55 am

Ericthebearjew wrote:I'd say this anime character is the best argument in favor of sex education:
nope

The gods themselves could not get me to click on those videos.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:11 am

What? It's only a clueless teenage girl who knows nothing about sex trying to make her crush consume her ejaculate and at one point try to rape him, all out of ignorance as part of a brutal deconstruction of this trope.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby Krashlia » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:21 am

com'on, man, join the club. It'll be fun! It's a semi-serious story about censorship and sexual purity!

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Paradox » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:21 pm

Hey, Eric, I'd so love some videos that aren't blocked in muh country.

[Signature removed for nonpayment.]

The artist once again known as Dox.
Paradox
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: True Neutral

Postby reallifegirl » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:53 pm

This article gave me flashbacks. I was a Catholic school kid through the age of 13, so I got the abstinence-only version of sex ed before transferring to public school and getting the more detailed version.

What I kind of wish the article had touched on is how abstinence-only sex ed just straight up doesn't make sense to pre-teens because of the information it holds back. Sex ed never actually tells you that sex feels good or is enjoyable, just that it leads to kids/STDs and you shouldn't be doing it. So it gets really confusing when you hear about people having sex casually, because you wonder "Why?"

What they also don't tell you is that wanting to have sex is normal or natural. So, you also think of yourself as kind of disgusting if you find the idea of sex kind of appealing (or at least the girls do, from what I gathered). If all the authority figures in your life are saying "This thing is wrong and dangerous and disgusting" (while also controlling the content you consume so that you never read/watch anything they don't want), you think you're a freak if you wind up liking to think about it or imagine it.

Or maybe the article writer just had more informative abstinence-only sex ed than I did, I don't know.

"I can believe things that are true and things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not."

Encyclopedia Dramatica wrote:Reallifegirl: Is supposedly a girl in real life, but we all know that's false. Gets highest comment roughly 75% of the time, and has never had a single red-thumbed comment. Ever.
reallifegirl
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Officially allegedly female

Postby sunglasses » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:04 pm

Why abstinence only education is bad: My aunt got pregnant at 18 in the 50/60s and 1. didn't know she was pregnant 2. didn't know how she became pregnant 3. got pregnant again because NO ONE EXPLAINED IT TO HER.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Dr. Ambiguous » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:06 am

That no-one explained sex and pregnancy to your aunt after the first pregnancy is absolutely mind boggling. I think once she's reached the point of having had a penis inside her long enough to put a baby inside her, it's probably a good time to explain how genitals work.

<@Tesseracts> your stalking skills make you the #1 counter-stalker

Not sure how to use the forum? Read the TCS Forum Guide
Dr. Ambiguous
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Random Pointless Rule Nazi

Postby rowdyrodimus » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:30 am

I went to a Catholic School from K-6th Grade and the day we had the sex ed thing (which wasn't just abstinence only type), a girl and I from my class went to the storage room for the baseball equipment and practiced some of the things they taught us (my Dad was the coach and I kept a copy of the key because it was closer to my classes to use the bathroom there than the regular bathrooms). I don't know if abstinence only being taught would have kept us from doing what we did, but I enjoyed the ever loving fuck out of what we did and we didn't end up as teen parents or with some STD. Wasn't it George Michael whose song went "Sex is natural, sex is fun"? The best way to teach kids is to explain that yes, it is extremely enjoyable, but there are responsibilities you have to face before you start doing it. Anything else is lying to them and doing the whole "forbidden fruit" thing that makes them want to do it more.

rowdyrodimus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: Lord Of Nothing

Postby Australia » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:00 pm

In Australia, we learn our sex ed in around grade 7 from a man in a giraffe costume who travels around in a van. I refuse to elaborate because the context doesn't make it any more sensible.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Next