MeatPuppet's Art

A place to hang your fingerpaints, blue ribbons and the things you've created.

MeatPuppet's Art

Postby MeatPuppet » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:33 pm

I've been drawing daily for several months now, and I'm taking a year off from school. I figure it's the perfect time to work on more finished pieces - not just sketches or studies, but actual finished work that's been polished and worked on for days, weeks, maybe even months. I usually do fanart, but I do things of my own, as well. I hope to post here fairly regularly because dead threads make me sad, and for a long-time member, I post very little. Anyway, here's a Frozen fanart I just finished yesterday.

This was a quick sketch in pen to cheer up a friend that turned into a digital painting. I surprised myself by eventually removing almost all of the lines I put down. I usually rely quite a bit on lineart, because my lineless work is usually awful. But I saw that as a red flag for poor rendering and colour sense, so I'm working on that. For reference, here's the original:

Spoiler: show

I spent 15 minutes on this before saying, "Screw it. I'm gonna take this to the computer." Weeks later, I finally scanned it into Photoshop.

Looking at it now, I think the composition of this a bit all over the place, but I'd like to see what you guys think. Suggestions, critique, feedback, and such are much welcome. Even if it's something like "that girl looks like a dude lol". Seriously. It wouldn't be the first time I've gotten that, and it helps me see things better.

"It's time for the meat puppet!" -- Psycho, Borderlands 2
MeatPuppet
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: Knight of Arendelle

Re: MeatPuppet's Art

Postby SilverMaple » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:14 am

Aw, that's adorable. :D I can't really draw anything more complicated than pen doodles, so anything like this always makes me go "wow." You did a really nice job with the expressions (Kristoff's "ugh, I can't believe I'm doing this" face is great), and the choice of colours is very pretty, it looks just like a winter sunset.

Bert wrote:The best part of my job is fistfighting an 8 year old every day.

//Friend come and go, like the wave in the ocean, but true ones stay like an octopus on our face.\\
SilverMaple
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Nerd of a Feather

Postby Matthew Notch » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:24 am

The line drawing is of course really good, but I think it was definitely a smart choice to finish it in Photoshop. The boots look a lot better in the finished product, probably because you spent some more time on them. There's a lot of really good textural additions that I appreciate there.

One thing I wish I could see, and don't take this the wrong way, but I wonder what a character you made up would look like. Because the thing I like the most about the drawing here is her facial expression; it cracks me up, in a good way. I guess what I mean to say is, she has a distinctly "your art" look about her, and that's a good thing! Not that a distinctive style is always a hallmark of quality; I haven't actually watched the shows but I don't care a whole lot for the art styles on Steven Universe or Dragonball Z, for example. It's going to be a subjective thing of course, but at least to me, you have a really fun style that has a lot of potential for showing expression, and I'd like to see if you can use that to build a whole new character or world of your own making. Just a humble request.

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby MeatPuppet » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:07 am

Thanks for the comments! ^_^ Expressions are the main reason I draw characters more than environments. But I think I'm a bit obsessed with sunsets, as every time I try to think of a lighting scheme for a scene, my mind immediately jumps to "sunset". Foresty wilderness? Sunset. Urban landcape? Sunset. Random desert planet? Sunset, from multiple suns, probably. Luckily, I haven't done enough paintings for that to get stale. Yet. Of course, I hope to explore other lighting schemes.

I'm glad to see you like my style, Notch! I've been going for a rather angular look, though I guess I forgot all about it when I rendered the clouds, whoops. A big influence on me is Sycra, an artist who offers really helpful advice on art in general, and primarily uses sharp, pointy, and concave shapes. Contrary to what my post history might suggest, the majority of what I draw are random characters I make up for practice. Most are bland throwaways made for the sake of focusing on a particular concept I'm studying, but happy accidents sometimes happen when I make marks on the page. Here's a compilation of some of the more notable ones:

people1.png
Yep. Perfectly happy.
people1.png (1001.14 KiB) Viewed 10609 times

I tend to draw quite loosely. Most of the time, I don't really have a solid idea of what I'm drawing until the middle/end. Sorry for the messiness. I haven't done a lot of people with personalities in a while because I'm mostly focusing on nailing more complex poses and points of view, resulting in a bunch of mannequins looking funny. But here are my more recent ones that have more character. Also, as an example of a partial world, there's a tornado, which I was really happy to ink with my wicked new brush pen.

people2.png
Tornadoes are people, too.
people2.png (779.25 KiB) Viewed 10609 times

As for paintings, I'm planning to work on some not-fanart in the near future, so stay tuned, maybe? =D

MeatPuppet
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:41 am

Very impressive work. I especially like your perspective work on the last attachment.

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby MeatPuppet » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:13 am

Thank you! While I'm a long way from mastering the art of portraying believable perspective, it's nice to know I'm making some progress.

So with some prodding from friends and family, I've been thinking of doing commission work. As a test, I finished making a banner for a friend of my sister's who makes Minecraft Let's Plays, which I started on a week ago.

I'm not too happy with the general look of the mountain sides, but I quite like the ground. I did learn a fun lesson, though: don't put too much work into something that's going to be covered up anyway. I have a pathway in the background with a nice texture that I was quite proud of; it's now hidden by Alex. =P I'm also planning to create time-lapse videos of future paintings. I've already started recording the first!

MeatPuppet
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby MeatPuppet » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:10 pm

Nighttime is nice. This painting took shorter than I thought it would. About 8 hours spread over 3 days. For another Minecraft LPer:

I was hoping to release the time-lapse video of the process along with this post, but I realized I'd need to spruce up my YouTube channel with a banner and other frilly stuff. And learn how to YouTube properly. So I'm working on that.

MeatPuppet
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby MeatPuppet » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:17 pm

I did it! I posted the video.

Tried my best to edit it so it wouldn't be too jumpy and motion sickness-inducing. As usual, feedback most welcome, be it on the video editing, artwork, choice of music, or whatever. =)

MeatPuppet
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby MeatPuppet » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:14 am

I've decided to give InkTober a shot this year. For those of you who don't know, InkTober is a thingy that happens on October when you draw stuff in ink regularly for the whole month (daily, every other day, weekly, etc.). I'm aiming to have a drawing a day. Shouldn't be too big a jump from my routine, except that I'll be trying not to just leave it at unfinished mannequins.

inktober001.png
I was born ready!
inktober001.png (697.82 KiB) Viewed 10459 times

My sister's saying Elsa and Anna look like guys. It might be because of the sharp angles, but I know there's a way to draw feminine faces without going all doughy/circly/immature because I've seen it done before. I'd like additional opinions on this.

MeatPuppet
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby FaceTheCitizen » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:41 am

FaceTheCitizen
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Thot Patrol

Postby MeatPuppet » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:51 am

I prefer Elias and Andrew. Yup, that genderbend was totally intentional, *cough cough*.

Clearly I need to draw more female woman girl people. Whipped up a little something and according to my family, this one looks sufficiently female. I hope.

halp.png
halp.png (983.14 KiB) Viewed 10450 times

I'm amused and a bit embarrassed at how much more I like my 5 min sketches better than stuff I spend hours on.

MeatPuppet
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby MeatPuppet » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:12 am

Alrighty, here's an intentional genderbend of Elsa. Why not. Though I think I was too ambitious today. I took forever and there's a bunch of stuff that bother me. But it was fun, racing against the clock!

Might not be able to upload tomorrow's drawing because of family events, but I'll make up for it the following day if needed.

Now, to wash the ink off my desk...

MeatPuppet
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby Matthew Notch » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:08 am

The custom signature on that one is choice as hell!

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby LaChaise » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:43 pm

I can't not see this as the lovechild of Handsome Jack and Lady Hammerlock.

"Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?"

"I'll die soon. But the last twenty minutes have been the best years of my life."
LaChaise
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep
Title: Lust in Translation

Postby MeatPuppet » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:24 am

My cousin had a baby shower yesterday. She's having twins. Unrelated:

This was really fun to draw.

MeatPuppet
Frequent Poster