How has Cracked/TCS changed you?

Discussion, in general

Re: How has Cracked/TCS changed you?

Postby 52xMax » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:29 am

True story time:

It was exactly one year ago that I joined this awesome forum. I've been reading Cracked since at least 2008 on a somehow regular basis, but never felt compelled to make an account until I decided I wanted to write an article for the site. Yeah, life got in the way and that didn't happen. Then I stumbled upon a tumblr account that posted some of the funniest comments on Cracked and that's when I decided to pay attention, and when I noticed there was an actual community there. I was basically a lurker, mostly because I don't usually read the articles on the day they come out, but instead I binge on them during the weekend. I would occasionally make a comment which would get a few votes and/or replies, but I always read the comments and that's how I first learned about many of you.

So when "the incident" happened and there was a real threat of getting rid of that feature, I saw Tesseracts' call to arms on the top comments and made an account, if only to keep reading your jokes. It wasn't after a couple of weeks that I came back and realized the focus of the forum had shifted, but people were still having fun and creating a real community away from, let's call it the toxic intervention of some mods on a power trip. This was around the time I had just gotten out of the hospital and I couldn't do much else but sit all day and fool around on the internet, so I decided to finally participate in a more interactive way and getting to really know each and everyone of you; and I gotta say, I've been part of forums and other communities before, but I had never felt so free to be myself without being judged. That, or the people on those earlier sites just never were interesting and/or consistent enough for me to make and effort or care about building any sort of bond. Another thing I learned here which I've rgrown quite fond of was role playing games, which has taught me to share that creative side of me which I often shy away from, so that has been a big change for me.

All in all, I don't know if TCS has changed me that much, I still have lots of issues to deal with. If anything, I have been able to be more open about who I really am and always have been, so saying that's a change sounds a bit paradoxical. Still, I guess the best thing I can say is that this is a wonderful place full with awesome people of all kinds and one of the best hidden places on the internet. Here I feel safe to be silly, but also I can discuss about serious stuff with very smart people who have all sorts of points of view without anyone being rude, which is sadly not too common. But most importantly, during this year I got to know plenty of people I can confidently call my friends now, and that's much more than I could've ever asked for.

Edit: I corrected a few typos, edited some things that made no sense and polished a few sentences. I wrote this in kind of a hurry the first time around.

"When in doubt... well, don't ask me!"
52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Salmon the Wise

Postby Matthew Notch » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:16 pm

TCS is nice because you can get thumbs and I like thumbs. So I guess TCS has changed me because now all I ever think about are thumbs.

give me thumbs

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby sunglasses » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:28 pm

But I'm rather attached to mine, Notch.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:47 pm

It is my hope that at least one of my posts or comments here or at Cracked made you guys and gals genuinely laugh.

If so, then I am indeed a lucky spider.

Matthew Notch wrote:TCS is nice because you can get thumbs and I like thumbs. So I guess TCS has changed me because now all I ever think about are thumbs.

give me thumbs

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby LaChaise » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:06 pm

Without this place, I'd be dead by now. I think that counts as "being changed"

Also, I found some amazing friends and I've gained confidence in my skills in english. Which brought me to work as a translator on GG's advice, which led me to go back to college to make it official, which led me to find what I really want to do with my life all of you English linguistics research/translator and doing as much good as I can for the people I care about.

I guess what I'm saying is TCS is really meh.
*gets tarred and feathered*

"Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?"

"I'll die soon. But the last twenty minutes have been the best years of my life."
LaChaise
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep
Title: Lust in Translation

Postby iMURDAu » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:25 pm

Thumbs for Notch. All the thumbs.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Nullbert » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:57 pm

Matthew Notch wrote:give me thumbs

Well, as luck would have it, I did slip whilst cutting carrots today, so, I guess it's better than throwing it in the soup and hoping the customers don't notice.

Oh, you meant... oh... I'll just, uh, get a doctor or something,,,

Nullbert
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: British Bastard

Postby LegionofShrooms » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:16 pm

Tesseracts wrote:Hi everyone,

As of April 13th, TCS is now one year old.

For a while I've been wanting to make a thread asking people how TCS has changed them, because I feel like it's impacted a lot of us. I'll add Cracked also since many of us met there.

I know I'm different now than I was. I've been sitting here trying to piece together how and why I'm happier and more confident now, but it's not entirely clear to me. I've been socializing on the internet for a long time. What makes you people so special? Maybe if I read some more replies and try to think at any time other than 1 am, I'll figure it out. All I know is, when I joined Cracked, I wasn't trying to make friends. If anything, I was trying to avoid social interaction. I intentionally choose a username I had never before used for anything major. I picked an image that didn't have much to do with me personally. Bulbasaur isn't even my favorite Pokemon or anything. All I wanted to do was spew opinions at people without any consequences. It seems incredible that I somehow went from there, to having a forum full of such great people that I consider to be my friends.Whatever you did, thank you.

Honestly, I think a large, large part of it has to do with the type of people that have chosen to partake in this community.

Cracked was, when I joined it, by and large one of the most intelligent, respectful and witty comment boards I've seen on the Internet.

Now, I'm not going to say that the majority of the commenters in the Cracked community aren't that way, but we certainly seem to have picked up a bit more vitriol and anger than we used to over there, which I can't help but (partially) attribute to a combination of its exponential growth over the last few years and its unfortunate tendency within the last year to pick deliberately charged and negative topics, attracting a lot of people that are negative by default, particularly where certain matters are concerned.

TCS, however, seems to be the best of what made me fall in the love with the comments on Cracked in the first place. It's more tightly regulated, has most-if not virtually all-of the people whose comments I enjoyed reading on Cracked (+1 for whoever recruited BeerNPotatoes and reallifegirl while I was gone!), and has a community whose foundation seems to be a mutual bedrock of respect, intelligent debate and genuinely funny people.

I'm serious when I say that this is one of the best forums I've ever participated in. From what I've seen, you all like to challenge ideas and are open to being challenged by them. You don't revel in ignorance, but rather try to rise above it. You enjoy creating, enjoy learning, enjoy looking out for each other and genuinely care about those around you. Hell, I couldn't even tell you the last time a moderator or admin had to exercise any sort of real enforcement of the rules (I'm not counting reminders that our responses and debates with one another should be fueled by logic and reason, not emotion and personal attacks, but rather something a little harder like having to hand out bannings).

There's a lot of love on this site, and in a medium where it's so, so easy to be jerks to each other while you're protected by a veil of anonymity and lack of consequences, that's something really special. Don't ever change TCS, ok?

Alright, enough with the sappy shit. Let's PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRTY!

Tell your momma, tell your poppa, tell your sisters and your brothers, tell your lovers, tell your children, tell your dominatrix:

The Writing Workshop is where all the cool kids hang out.
LegionofShrooms
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep
Title: Mastermind of Fungi Based Evil

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:36 pm

RLG was a member since the beginning, she just pulled an OrangeEyebrows for over a year.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby aBagofYoughurt » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:27 pm

Before TCS, I thought that forum threads were supposed to stay on topic. I no longer think so.

Hello
aBagofYoughurt
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Lurker Supreme

Postby ghijkmnop » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:35 pm

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby Australia » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:31 pm

ghijkmnop wrote:I almost feel wise at times.

That's all thanks to my motivational skills. Everyone always says they have to work a lot harder when I'm around.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby iMURDAu » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:08 pm

LegionofShrooms wrote:There's a lot of love on this site, and in a medium where it's so, so easy to be jerks to each other while you're protected by a veil of anonymity and lack of consequences, that's something really special. Don't ever change TCS, ok?

I was going to put a different gif that could've been easily misinterpreted as being in bad taste or just mean so instead I just put a snarky one instead. But that other gif made me laugh out loud. But it was borderline offensive. Knowing your audience is half the battle. That's what I learned from GI Joe.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Phighter » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:33 am

In a vain and selfish way, I have had a total of about $355 in Amazon giftcards because of Cracked. They pay you via Paypal, and I go around Amazon's disagreement with Paypal by buying gift cards via Gyft.

I spent roughly about $120 of that on videogames - things to make me feel more like a teenage man. Like Skyrim and Grand Theft Auto V. If you own a video game console, may as well get your money's worth, am I right?

I've bought a replacement bookbag, a laptop charger (the preceding two items were stolen from me), a rental textbook, a nice phone case, protective screening for my phone (I broke my phone on the day I won a $200 photoplasty, which was also my birthday), slippers and flip flops, one of those counters that you click with to count (I still have no idea why), and recently a blender and ten different bowties, because that brings my total to twelve bowties, and I think I'm going to be a bowtie guy. Also because I need to eat healthier and smoothies are my copout solution to that problem.

It has not taught me the concept of money, because virtual money is not money you can hold in your hand, but it is very nice to not have to prod my family for things that I want to buy. Also, when you don't have to explain why you're getting something, or anything like that, it's pretty freeing. Actually earning money via working I guess is how Cracked has changed me. Or making me feel like I can afford to waste money on fun things.

It has made realize how obsessive I can get, though. If I'm making a macro, and it has a fucking line on its border because I missed it by a centimeter while making the macro, it pisses me off so badly. My first win, there's a white line going down the border and I STARE AT IT EVERY TIME I LOOK AT THE PICTURE.

It's also made me deal with some disappointments. I thought Cracked.com called me earlier this year to work with me (I still have no idea how someone got my number and said they were Kristi Harrison from Cracked.com, but I asked that poor girl for a solid week about it), and I've had to spend fucking days and days waiting for macros to go up and then discover that I've lost or haven't placed in a money-making space. I hate Saturdays and Tuesdays on Cracked because A) I'm jealous of Meme and Machete, and B) there's no user-made photoplasty that goes up. Right now, for example, I have a macro about double standards that is sitting around, and I think I can maybe get $25 for it. That contest goes up six hours from now (my sleep schedule is screwed up), and I will wake up early, check it, and then roll over happy or annoyed.

This post is certainly not what you wanted but it's too late to go delete it, so maybe I'll edit in the morning. Probably not.

Phighter
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: King of Puns

Postby DoglovingJim » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:05 am

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

PreviousNext