Creepy Things White People Think It's OK To Say About Race

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

Creepy Things White People Think It's OK To Say About Race

Postby ShuaiGuy » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:48 pm

<Redacted>

Last edited by ShuaiGuy on Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShuaiGuy
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Re: Creepy Things White People Think It's OK To Say About Ra

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:00 pm

I think his point would have been better if he addressed the elephant in the room (Bernie being a civil rights activist). It was't just some random White guy they were interrupting, but someone who organized marches and sit-ins. They've become so desperate, they're lashing out at the nearest White politician regardless of what they've accomplished for them.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby Tesseracts » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:04 pm

I don't see when it became acceptable to think a couple of annoying protesters represent all black people. That goes both for people who criticize the activists and people who support them. People who support the activists frame this as white people refusing to listen to black people, as if they embody all black people everywhere. They have some bizarre views which don't really represent the BLM movement.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby sunglasses » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:27 pm

Permission to use #NotallBLMactivists hashtag?

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Marcuse » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:32 pm

I actually think this article deliberately misrepresents the point people are trying to make about this kind of protesting.

You can see a parallel between the movements such as BLM now and the civil rights movement in general, and the suffragette movement in the early 20th century in the UK. The more militant wing of the movement were considered by politicians who were uniformly males with power, to be incredibly frustrating and annoying, and especially so to people who sympathised with them the most. The high profile stunts in order to raise awareness did more to generate controversy than they did to cause actual change in British society at the time, and indeed it was the events of necessity caused by the first world war and female participation in industry that tipped the balance to the prevailing opinion that suffrage was desirable.

In the same vein, people criticising the BLM protesting towards Bernie Sanders see the same kind of thing. Obnoxious protesting against someone who does and has supported civil rights and equality throughout his political career purely because he's a white presidential candidate smacks of the same kind of thing. He's not being targeted because of his views, which align with theirs, but because he is white. I don't think that a habit of targeting political figures because of the colour of their skin is a prudent political measure for a movement devoted to ending such discrimination. No amount of being angry, distressed or upset make this a shrewd move.

Do I think that it's understandable that movements like BLM are gaining traction in the USA? Absolutely, there's a serious issue there and it's expected that people will and should be angry about it. But let's remember that laws don't get passed by protest, they get passed by agreement. Engaging people in a group defined in advance as oppressive in a hostile fashion works only to reduce the sympathies that people in that group share with the movement, regardless of aim. Expressions of anger are fine, but it's flying against facts to say it doesn't harm the cause the movement purports to promote.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby thatindianguy » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:35 pm

I get saying that these people should not be seen as the voice of the protest.

But what I'm not on board with is this have your cake and eat it too attitude where they're wrong but you're quite bad person for bringing it up.

Just say that SOME BLMers messed up and that the majority don't agree.

Simple.

thatindianguy
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Nullbert » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:42 pm

As the whitest person ever, the only creepy thing I've ever thought about black people is that Samuel L Jackson should have played Dumbledore in the Harry Potter films.

Anyway, I'm sure the comments on this article were nothing but polite, civil and understanding.

Nullbert
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: British Bastard

Postby Aquila89 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:43 pm

How many creepy things? I can't read this, it's not in list form!

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby D-LOGAN » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:27 pm

NON-LIST FORMATS ARE THE TOOL OF THE DEVIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not just yet, I'm still tender from before.
D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: ALL PRAISE UNTO MIGHTY KEK!

Postby AboveGL » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:50 pm

thatindianguy wrote:But what I'm not on board with is this have your cake and eat it too attitude where they're wrong but you're quite bad person for bringing it up.

This really. It's not even just on this incident either, this is rampant in groups and discussions on social justice. Because we should never criticise the extreme counterparts of any movement, even though NOT doing so makes us look as if we tacitly agree with them.

Last edited by AboveGL on Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
AboveGL
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:45 am

Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait.
It's okay for white people to think?

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby PSTN » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:54 am

NathanLoiselle wrote:Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait.
It's okay for white people to think?

I think not.

PSTN
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: II

Postby Australia » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:45 am

Nullbert wrote:As the whitest person ever, the only creepy thing I've ever thought about black people is that Samuel L Jackson should have played Dumbledore in the Harry Potter films.

"I have had it with all these motherfucking Snapes in my motherfucking pensieve!"

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby Crimson847 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:44 am

I liked the article as well. Reminded me of the MLK quote that got popular during the Baltimore riots:

Now I wanted to say something about the fact that we have lived over these last two or three summers with agony and we have seen our cities going up in flames. And I would be the first to say that I am still committed to militant, powerful, massive, non­-violence as the most potent weapon in grappling with the problem from a direct action point of view. I'm absolutely convinced that a riot merely intensifies the fears of the white community while relieving the guilt. And I feel that we must always work with an effective, powerful weapon and method that brings about tangible results.

But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard.

In many cases, people want to get right to the criticism. We don't take the time to offer a full, nuanced opinion on the subject, we just focus on what we think is going wrong and how to fix it. That troubleshooting focus can be efficient in largely abstract discussions where people don't have much of a personal stake in the matter, but it becomes less effective as people's emotional investment in the topic increases. A philosophy professor who's accustomed to ruthlessly critical feedback from other philosophers on his philosophy papers probably won't react the same way to ruthlessly critical feedback from his wife on his lovemaking abilities. A student who accepts finicky grammatical corrections from his teacher on his English assignments probably won't be so accepting of finicky grammatical corrections from the 911 operator when he's calling for an ambulance. As emotional investment increases, the need for a more balanced and empathic approach increases.

Some BLM activists and protesters are really goddamn scared. This isn't an abstract political discussion for them, it's an everyday fear that they or someone they know won't get home alive. It doesn't matter how valid or accurate your criticism is if it isn't heard, and it won't be heard if you don't make it crystal clear that you hear their pain and you are listening.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep