Wikipedia Hates Women: 4 Dark Sides of The Site We All Use

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

Wikipedia Hates Women: 4 Dark Sides of The Site We All Use

Postby Gendry » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:24 pm

http://www.cracked.com/personal-experie ... nside.html

I was going to get mad at Title Guy, until I looked at the URL and realized the original title was just as bad. What do you guys think - worse than the "Modern Men are Sexist" title, or not?

"Sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
Gendry
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep
Title: King of the Andals

Re: Wikipedia Hates Women: 4 Dark Sides of The Site We All U

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:34 pm

Isn't it a little over-the-top to go out and say that a inanimate object hates women? I mean I get that feminists like to think the entire world is against them but this is ridiculous.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby archaeologydalek » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:50 pm

REDACTED

Last edited by archaeologydalek on Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
archaeologydalek
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby ShuaiGuy » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:54 pm

<Redacted>

Last edited by ShuaiGuy on Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShuaiGuy
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby subotai » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:58 pm

It's a real thins-soup article too. There's very little in there aside from the experiences of one aggrieved editor. Mind you, that meets the Cracked standard for Gospel Truth.

My fav comment on insults "Calling someone a f*g or c********r is calling them gay- considered negative by many because it's feminine. Those are also feminine insults."

Dear Lord, does everything have to be about women for these people?

Take the plastic bag challenge to cure stupidity.
subotai
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:25 pm

The author of this article clearly suffered a lot of harassment, sexism, and transphobia, but I'm not convinced Wikipedia itself is bigoted. This article says nothing about Wikipedia's anti harassment policy and how/if these issues were resolved. I'm not an expert on the Chelsea Manning incident but I recall the name was changed fairly quickly and Wikipedia was praised for their efforts to validate trans identity. Of course it wasn't done without disagreement, but on a website where anybody may contribute I would expect disagreement about everything.

subotai wrote:It's a real thins-soup article too. There's very little in there aside from the experiences of one aggrieved editor. Mind you, that meets the Cracked standard for Gospel Truth.

My fav comment on insults "Calling someone a f*g or c********r is calling them gay- considered negative by many because it's feminine. Those are also feminine insults."

Dear Lord, does everything have to be about women for these people?

I don't see what's wrong with this. It's true, the submissive sexual role is considered the female role, and the submissive role is the one used as an insult. Nobody claims somebody gets their cock sucked as an insult, but it's an insult to say someone is sucking somebody else's cock. In fact it's the opposite, somebody saying "suck my dick" is considered a sign of dominance.

Here is a typical Cracked commenter disagreeing with someone's opinion.
niceinternet.jpg
niceinternet.jpg (875.39 KiB) Viewed 6206 times

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby ShuaiGuy » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:30 pm

<Redacted>

Last edited by ShuaiGuy on Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShuaiGuy
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Gendry » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:14 pm

Tesseracts wrote:
niceinternet.jpg

Reallifegirl used to post on TCS - anybody know where she went?

"Sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
Gendry
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep
Title: King of the Andals

Postby Absentia » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:36 pm

The thing is, Wikipedia editors get into overblown fights about equally trivial shit every day. There was nothing in the article that convinced me that Wikipedia as an institution hates women. Much like every other popular site, they just have a lot of obnoxious assholes hanging around.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Revolving Royal » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:24 am

It's a pretty bold claim that the entire staff of a popular website hates half the population on the planet. If the criteria is that a few people were assholes, then you can apply that to any website at any given moment, Cracked.

"We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled. The trick is knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out" -Ray Bradbury

I am not “full of hate” as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine. ~Internet Wiseman
Revolving Royal
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Lurker

Postby archaeologydalek » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:27 am

REDACTED

Last edited by archaeologydalek on Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
archaeologydalek
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby Revolving Royal » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:34 am

archaeologydalek wrote:Actually, we hate everyone. It's more fair that way.

Proof all daleks are a part of a secret misogyny illuminati group. Run the article!

"We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled. The trick is knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out" -Ray Bradbury

I am not “full of hate” as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine. ~Internet Wiseman
Revolving Royal
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby subotai » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:57 am

I have to disagree that it's 'true', Tesseracts. It's opinion, at best.

Homosexual insults are based on bigotry, often tooted in religious doctrine, not gender based.

Take the plastic bag challenge to cure stupidity.
subotai
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby Revolving Royal » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:36 am

Well, in Roman society it was expected for men yo engage in homosexual relations, but slaves or social inferiors were always the bottom position. It was considered shameful for men to be debased, or to appear in a subservient, or woman's role. To suggest that a man was " taking it from behind like a woman" was fightin' words, the perseption being that you were lowered to a woman's standing and are a now a target of ridicule.

Revolving Royal
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby Crimson847 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:46 am

Well, there's only one way to settle this. I have to walk up to a bunch of strange men, crudely assert that they get their pole polished by other guys, and note the reactions. Then I'll walk up to another bunch of men and say that they suck cocks so we have something to compare it to.

...Anyone have a suit of plate mail that I can borrow?

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Next