Everyone Assumes You're Violent...

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

Everyone Assumes You're Violent...

Postby NathanLoiselle » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:55 pm

I, frighteningly enough, recommend that people read this article. As someone who is quite bi-polar, and my diamond encrusted laptop that I got on credit should prove it, I've got to say that it's very accurate. Although I never experienced most of the side effects this person did, I've only taken Abilify and Seroquel from the list given, I did get tardiff di, aw fuck it, restless twitching and it's really fucking annoying.

http://www.cracked.com/personal-experie ... er_p2.html

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Re: Everyone Assumes You're Violent...

Postby skooma » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:20 am

Thanks for this, it helps me understand the caution of the woman I'm greatly looking forward to moving in soon (it's the second time we've considered it, and she's always awesome). People I've known with bi-polar are doing great, raising exceptional families and living enviable lives, so I've only see glimpses of a downside.

In the meantime, what I've learned to look out for is "hobbyist" types, as bi-polar is well known enough to be in the grab bag for those kind, where everything is code for "I will turn into a monster, because I am an asshole". That''s why I ask people about it, and then will interrupt at about the second sentence; if they're for real and dealing with it, it's that easy to figure out.

Skooma seems the type of person to chase me down and force me at gun point to receive their encomium with good graces. ~Jack Road

* I got caught in the crossfire of one of skooma's fucking frisbees ~Sister Morphine
skooma
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep
Title: The Lightning

Postby jbobsully11 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:53 am

Of the four people with bipolar disorder that I know IRL, none of them have been violent... ever, I think. So yeah, the whole "bipolar disorder = violence" stereotype somewhat baffles me.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby Jack Road » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:33 am

I recently got diagnosed with bi-polar, which isn't something I agree with. But it was interesting how many things on this list I have struggled with.

I would never tell anyone in a professional setting that I have been diagnosed with bi-polar though. That seems like a death sentence.

Jack Road
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby caitlent » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:20 pm

Well my sister is bi-polar and has been incredibly violent among quite a few other not so savory things (like being a lying, drug abusing whore for instance)

On the other hand, my cousin and a couple of friends I've had are bi-polar, and not violent at all and try to have their shit together. The meds definitely do cause a lot of unsavory side effects,and it seems like a lot of doctors don't really know what to do and will throw a lot of different drugs at the issue. :/

caitlent
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:42 pm

The issue is that while some people decide to go and blow thru their credit cards when manic, some people decide to go and blow thru a gas station. With their car. Because when they're full blown manic they tend to be impulse.

Now, I've had the shit kicked out of me a time or two by a psych patient and the most violent patients I ever encountered were: a 19 year old female with Reactive Attachment Disorder, a 19 year old female who they claimed had a "mood disorder" but what she was was a violent large women that was severely intellectually disabled and had the shittiest life I've ever heard of growing up (and yeah, when you can't understand anything and you've been abused your whole life-you lash out), and a couple guys who were antisocial personality d/o and had been in prison.

I've personally seen less violent bipolar people and more violent people who were given a "presumptive" diagnosis of bipolar (or bipolo as some of my patients called it) by the ER doctor or crisis worker. Code 296.6. Now, some presumptive diagnosises are very, very apparent and right on the money. When they called me a said we've got a 295.3 and then continued on telling me the guy was picked up by the cops as he stood yelling in the highway because he thought that Jesus was coming to pick him up by helicopter-then yeah, they're probably right.

That being said there is often a misunderstanding that psych patients are violent. Very few are intentionally violent.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby NathanLoiselle » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:06 pm

I've been violent once or twice but that was more a result of me being under-extreme stress than being bi-polar. I tend to lash out under stressful situations which is why I avoid them.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby ghijkmnop » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:12 pm

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby sunglasses » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:24 pm

My key word is intentionally violent. As in planned out. I've seen people lash out after not sleeping for 5 day and once saw someone who was manic stand on a table and kick someone in the nuts because apparently that was how you turned off robots?

A lot of it can have to do with someone who is manic not sleeping. I know how crabby I get when I don't sleep...

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Jack Road » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:23 pm

Also turns out if you antagonize people, say by involuntarily committing them in a hospital ill-prepared to deal with them, with no clear communication about when they will get out or where they will go, they do tend to get angry. Even when they aren't suffering from mania.

Jack Road
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:02 am

Jack, if you are curious, we saw mostly voluntary admissions.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby skooma » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:14 am

Jack Road wrote:I recently got diagnosed with bi-polar, which isn't something I agree with. But it was interesting how many things on this list I have struggled with.

I would never tell anyone in a professional setting that I have been diagnosed with bi-polar though. That seems like a death sentence.

On the subject of the social stigma and ignorant presumption; back when I was agoraphobic with a severe panic disorder, I'd never heard of that and claimed bi-polar to get out of jury duty, because I'd heard of it, and figured anything was better than "scared to go". Then I went to 4 psychiatrists to get them to tell me I was bi-polar, because I thought it was a treatable thing, with lithium. Early in sobriety so about 20 years ago, but my ignorance reflected things at the time, it was actually a lot worse than now. They all said I wasn't, and it was like a couple years before I could accept that "being scared" wasn't the worst, compared to something I'd at least heard of. Which I now know isn't just fixed with lithium, duh, but that's how much awareness has changed. It took working with my awesome shrink, who specialized in women with ptsd and panic disorders, to figure out, but no one else had any clues about these things, it really is so different now (thus explaining why there are actual fakes, those "hobbyist" types I mentioned).

Soon after, I met my first friend who did have genuine bi-polar, he had this great family, had raised terrific kids, and seemed to have it all together. Then he lost it one day, and I was just glad we reached his wife, and figured it was over - but the fact is, he was so embarrassed, I almost lost him as a friend then, and wound up finding out he did let friends go when that happened. That was with zero violence, he just was confused, maybe partly kind of pissed off but it just seemed like confused to me. The real problem, that amazed me coming from someone who'd already said he had this and was treating it conscientiously, was his embarrassment, that blew my mind, but turned out to be very real.

Also, like what I'm seeing a lot of posted here, there's the ignorant, or just plain stupid, way so many (very much including a lot of professionals) deal with labels. A lot of things that are just normal reactions are viewed completely differently when you're labelled, and even worse, if you don't have really good coverage or just the right medical resources, all this is totally as bad in professional settings where they should damn well know better. I live very near the local, and notoriously bad, hospital and "takes shit coverage" clinic, so I've seen a lot of this, includiing with employees. In this country, just having medicaid willl do it, as that's a label too; the first several (don't even remember) doctors I went to after Obamacare started, automatically treated me like I absolutely had to be both a moron and out of my mind; the one that actually ordered records was one of the worst, so when they found out I actually do have cancer (none had believed it, seriously, I kept walking out for the way I was treated), they called so much I had to tell them to get rid of my phone number; apparently they thought I didn't understand that right or something, after I'd told them in a first place. The issues with Obamacare are another thing, but the way labels work, very much including with professionals, is goddamn terrifying.

Edit: @Mr. Nop, aren't you a musician, thus explaining damn near anything? Some labels do work :lol:

Skooma seems the type of person to chase me down and force me at gun point to receive their encomium with good graces. ~Jack Road

* I got caught in the crossfire of one of skooma's fucking frisbees ~Sister Morphine
skooma
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep

Postby Cujos&Bits » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:42 pm

Last edited by Cujos&Bits on Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cujos&Bits
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby ghijkmnop » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:19 pm

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby skooma » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:15 am

Just a lame joke, Mr. nop, I haven't actually met any violent musicians; my creative people in general stereotypes are just fuzzy and might cover a lot, but no violence. For some reason this makes me want to post Henry Rollins talking about Iggy Pop, probably because I love Rollins' stuff. One of his roadies lived in my house for awhile, completely awesome guy, and he said Rollins is great.

Cujos&Bits wrote:and spend 6 grand in a few months on booze alone

What the heck does that get you? It sounds like more drinking than normal, I'm just a terrible judge, especially when there's more money than I've ever had involved.

Seriously, if you're alcoholic, that's not only a ridiculously common mental health issue, but effectively skews dealing with anything else until it's addressed. It just makes me crackers how many people I've known who sounded kind of like what you're saying, including me at one time; you can't fix every thing else first so you don't need to drink, the laws of human nature don't work that way. I know it's completely baffling, but drug and alcohol issues have to be addressed first, or at least as soon as anything else, and usually just plain first. I never could do controlled drinking, it hurt too much, but even if you're good with that, it wouldn't mean anything, even advanced alcoholics often have control strategies. Sermon over, it does just drive me crazy, because of losing awesome people to it.

skooma
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep

Next