5 True Stories Behind Iconic Photos Of History

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

5 True Stories Behind Iconic Photos Of History

Postby AdricDePsycho » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:28 pm

http://www.cracked.com/article_22592_5- ... story.html

I have a question: since when did the comments become "Nixon was actually a good president" and "Hurricane Carter was guilty"?

We all go a little mad sometimes...I'm just a little mad all of the time!
AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Knife-Wielding Lunatic

Re: 5 True Stories Behind Iconic Photos Of History

Postby TwoSheds » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:39 pm

I recall an article published quite some time ago that addressed the Hurricane Carter story, saying he was probably guilty or at least that the real events were not quite as clear cut as Dylan's song made them out to be. That's the first time I recall seeing comments to that effect, though honestly the case isn't really brought up frequently enough for me to say they were any different before.

As for Nixon, who knows.

Fire up the tulley toggle.
TwoSheds
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Maestro

Postby AdricDePsycho » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:52 pm

I'm just surprised how...odd the comments have become. Nick was an egotistical shit that more or less dragged the War in Vietnam into Cambodia (thus allowing Pol Pot to rise in power), trashed the Paris Peace Accords to ensure his win in the 1968 election, and of course Watergate (I don't care if you say "well he only got caught", that doesn't excuse it). His diplomatic policy with China and Russia was great, yes, but let's not forget he excused his actions as President by saying " When the President does it, it's not illegal".

And now, we have people trashing Winston Churchill (though not entirely without reason) and praising Neville Chamberlain (appeasement was still a stupid policy). Things have gone Topsy-Turvy.

AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby TwoSheds » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:56 pm

AdricDePsycho wrote:And now, we have people trashing Winston Churchill (though not entirely without reason) and praising Neville Chamberlain (appeasement was still a stupid policy). Things have gone Topsy-Turvy.

Ehh, praising Neville Chamberlain I can understand. A lot of historians have decided what he was doing was in the best interests of England at the time - bashing appeasement was something of "hindsight is 20/20" thing.

Last edited by TwoSheds on Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fire up the tulley toggle.
TwoSheds
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Maestro

Postby AdricDePsycho » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:01 pm

Fair point, I'll give you that. Still...Nixon? I'm sorry, I just REALLY despise Nixon.

AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:10 pm

AdricDePsycho wrote:...dragged the War in Vietnam into Cambodia (thus allowing Pol Pot to rise in power)

That's a bold claim. Khmers Rouges ties with Vietnamese Communists existed prior to the bombing of Cambodia and the party had some significant popular momentum and the backing of the Chinese before the US got involved.

appeasement was still a stupid policy

It wasn't an effective long term policy (obviously) but it was well justified at the time. Britain in particular was lagging behind Germany in terms of its war waging capability until very late in the thirties. It would have been very unwise to rush into a war for which the Allies were insufficiently prepared over the sovereignty of Czechoslovakia.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby AdricDePsycho » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:14 pm

I retract my statement on appeasement's effectiveness, but Nixon still escalated a war into another country. Regardless of whether it led to the Khmer Rouge taking over or not, Nixon just got troops home and substituted them for bombers.

AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Askias » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:38 pm

First of all, title guy at it again. ''5 shocking facts that will change how you view famous photos''. When I read the article before, I actually spared a thought at the no-nonsense title.

I knew of #5 and #4. I loved #1. I haven't checked it and I'm not going to. I want this to be true so much.

Great article in my book.

If there be here lesson or moral, it lies beyond the competence of him who wrote this post.
(Jack Vance, Emphyrio)
Askias
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Night Owl

Postby Andropov4 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:57 pm

Regarding Chamberlain and appeasement, he was never under any illusions that it was going to work. It was a way to buy time to allow Britain and France to prepare for the coming war instead of going in half-cocked and unprepared.

As for Nixon, I'm not saying he was a great president, but he is somewhat under-rated, I think. He gets very little credit for things like the EPA and Ping Pong diplomacy, and perhaps too much credit for Vietnam.

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a lamb."- Ryan Stiles

Jenna is mine.
Andropov4
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Rhetorically Correct Rascal

Postby AdricDePsycho » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:08 am

Vietnam, Watergate, and being an egotist.

Plus he was kinda scattershot with civil rights, if I recall correctly, but for all the good he did, his failings arguably impacted the remainder of the decade.

And I did some research on Chamberlain, and I agree, the guy was underrated. Though he was definitely better at domestic policy than Churchill (I still respect him as a wartime leader, barring the failed Italian offensive, and as a master of wit, but good lord was he a psychotic racist prick), the guy had a pretty masterful plan to buy time and prepare before shit hit the fan.

AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep