5 Ways Marvel Movies Keep Screwing Up Female Superheroes

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

5 Ways Marvel Movies Keep Screwing Up Female Superheroes

Postby AdricDePsycho » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:33 pm

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-ways-marv ... perheroes/

Ugh...just...ugh...they brought back the whole "Black Widow says she's a monster because she's sterile" claim that won't fucking die.

We all go a little mad sometimes...I'm just a little mad all of the time!
AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Knife-Wielding Lunatic

Re: 5 Ways Marvel Movies Keep Screwing Up Female Superheroes

Postby Taluun » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:52 pm

Yeah I just didn't click the link this morning when reading cracked. Two topics that I feel they pretty consistently drop the ball on, the two topics being sexism and marvel superheroes.

Taluun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:23 pm

I've noticed that since I stopped reading Cracked, I've become a lot more mellow and carefree. The fact that I'm no longer confronted with hatebait articles like this immediately upon waking up probably has something to do with it.

Anywho, I clicked the link and gave the article a quick skim, against my better judgement. Just the usual "take popular thing, call it sexist/racist/otherwise discriminatory, distort evidence to fit claims, repeat" BS, and nothing more. It would be sad if I didn't expect it.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby AdricDePsycho » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:40 pm

I do agree with the part about the toys, though. I don't get the deal why there aren't any female action figures.

But other than that...ugh...just...ugh.

AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby ShuaiGuy » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:36 am

<Redacted>

Last edited by ShuaiGuy on Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShuaiGuy
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:16 am

Ten bucks says Cracked will proclaim Captain Marvel the greatest superhero film ever.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby AdricDePsycho » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:07 am

Ericthebearjew wrote:Ten bucks says Cracked will proclaim Captain Marvel the greatest superhero film ever.

$20 says Cracked will say that it's sexist and explain why superhero movies are dying.

AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby DomaDoma » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:38 am

Honestly, the Marvel-verse is getting to exhibit the problems that keep me from reading the comic books, those being a) overly dense continuity and b) no apparent intention of concluding until the heat death of the universe. But clearly that doesn't bother most people.

If I must pick a role model issue, it would be nice to have movies about heroes the viewer has a snowball's chance of emulating. But there's room enough for both that and Iron Man, I daresay.

Calves are easily bound and slaughtered,
Never knowing the reason why,
But whoever treasures freedom,
Like the swallow, must learn to fly.
DomaDoma
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Future Alik'r

Postby EstebanColberto » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:46 pm

ShuaiGuy wrote:There are female superheroes?!

I know you're being facetious but I feel as if I should remind you that female have taken the lead role in great movies such as Supergirl, Elektra...and...Catw-you know what I'll shut up now.

AdricDePsycho wrote:Ugh...just...ugh...they brought back the whole "Black Widow says she's a monster because she's sterile" claim that won't fucking die.

I'd like to point out that in this movie, Thor and Iron Man are trying to one up each other on who has a better girlfriend. Thor keeps bragging about Jane's achievements as a scientist. Iron Man keeps bragging about how Pepper can run the whole company without him. No mention of bra size.

EstebanColberto
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby AdricDePsycho » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:13 pm

Don't tell the Cracked writers...their brains will explode from something that removes their need for clickbait.

AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:40 pm

DomaDoma wrote:Honestly, the Marvel-verse is getting to exhibit the problems that keep me from reading the comic books, those being a) overly dense continuity and b) no apparent intention of concluding until the heat death of the universe. But clearly that doesn't bother most people.

Wait, 2020 will be the end of the universe?

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby AdricDePsycho » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:25 pm

Ericthebearjew wrote:
DomaDoma wrote:Honestly, the Marvel-verse is getting to exhibit the problems that keep me from reading the comic books, those being a) overly dense continuity and b) no apparent intention of concluding until the heat death of the universe. But clearly that doesn't bother most people.

Wait, 2020 will be the end of the universe?

2028, Eric. 2028.

AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Ceiling_Squid » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:31 pm

The sterility claim again? Yeah, not giving this a click, thanks for the warning.

The problem with that argument in particular is that it ignores the entire context of the scene and her backstory, and its a fact that only comes up the one time (during a relevant discussion) instead of repeatedly dwelling on it.

But no, internet. I'm sure Black Widow feels like a monster specifically because she can't have kids, not because she feels she was dehumanized and her bodily autonomy violated in order to better mold her into a goddamned killing machine.

A hypothetical man who was chemically or surgically castrated as part of a brainwashing regimen would certainly feel humiliated and less-than-human as well, and I don't think as many people would be up in arms about it. Because they'd see him as an individual with actual agency who suffers from skewed self-perception, rather than a cipher for or statement about all men.

Female characters are allowed to be mentally ill and have body issues without it reflecting on the entire gender. Particularly when those issues are merely symptoms of real, non-trivial trauma.

Who's misogynistic now?

Ceiling_Squid
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby AdricDePsycho » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:58 pm

Ceiling_Squid wrote:The sterility claim again? Yeah, not giving this a click, thanks for the warning.

The problem with that argument in particular is that it ignores the entire context of the scene and her backstory, and its a fact that only comes up the one time (during a relevant discussion) instead of repeatedly dwelling on it.

But no, internet. I'm sure Black Widow feels like a monster specifically because she can't have kids, not because she feels she was dehumanized and her bodily autonomy violated in order to better mold her into a goddamned killing machine.

A hypothetical man who was chemically or surgically castrated as part of a brainwashing regimen would certainly feel humiliated and less-than-human as well, and I don't think as many people would be up in arms about it. Because they'd see him as an individual with actual agency who suffers from skewed self-perception, rather than a cipher for or statement about all men.

Female characters are allowed to be mentally ill and have body issues without it reflecting on the entire gender. Particularly when those issues are merely symptoms of real, non-trivial trauma.

Who's misogynistic now?

Not only that, but even Mark Ruffalo said that Black Widow wasn't in need of saving. Bruce was.

He says he's a monster, so she tries to comfort him by revealing her past, how she was turned into a monster.

And let me add, the comic version of Black Widow is also sterile.

AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby archaeologydalek » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:23 pm

REDACTED

Last edited by archaeologydalek on Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
archaeologydalek
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Next