The Really Big One

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: The Really Big One

Postby DjiboutiDan » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:57 pm

We're also due for a geomagnetic reversal, a supervolcano eruption, and a massive solar flare. There's also asteroid impacts, runaway technology, pandemics, and bioterrorism.

Personally, I'm still amazed that humanity made it through the Cold War without destroying itself in nuclear holocaust. Of course, there's still time.

Carrie wrote:But I suspect Dan will figure it out, because Dan’s apparently magic.
DjiboutiDan
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Bilge Rat

Postby ShuaiGuy » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:43 am

<Redacted>

Last edited by ShuaiGuy on Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShuaiGuy
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby PSTN » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:57 am

If we're picking apocalypses, I choose impact event. I'm a sucker for the classics. Besides, it's what probably happened in The Road, and that's one of my favorite books.

PSTN
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: II

Postby Ceiling_Squid » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:21 am

PSTN wrote:If we're picking apocalypses, I choose impact event. I'm a sucker for the classics. Besides, it's what probably happened in The Road, and that's one of my favorite books.

I'll always go with the other old classic, sheer nuclear annihilation. Just because I know exactly how to approach it with a smile.

Spoiler: show

Ceiling_Squid
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:37 am

PSTN wrote:If we're picking apocalypses, I choose impact event. I'm a sucker for the classics. Besides, it's what probably happened in The Road, and that's one of my favorite books.

I thought that it was a supervolcano, seeing as how there was so much description of ash and fire - the people who were burnt and fused into the ground, etc.

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby gregfrankenstein » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:38 am

Having grown up on the west coast of British Columbia, I'm pretty numbed to this. "You're going to die in a horrific earthquake" is basically "don't run with scissors" over here, and when you hear about it for over two decades, the cynicism kicks in and the "soon" doesn't seem so soon anymore.

In elementary school we'd have earthquake drills that were literally the principal over the intercom making rumbly mouth noises while we all ducked under our desks and made butt jokes. We also had earthquake kits, because apparently all I need to ward off a natural disaster is a Beanie Baby and two Fruit Roll-Ups. So I guess I'm fine. Isn't that right, Beary?

gregfrankenstein
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Heightener of Fives

Postby PSTN » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:00 am

BROWNRECLUSE wrote:

I thought that it was a supervolcano, seeing as how there was so much description of ash and fire - the people who were burnt and fused into the ground, etc.

You know, I was all ready to argue with you, but upon closer inspection, it appears you might be right. I was thinking about the boat being miles inland, suggesting a mega-tsunami, but I can't seem to find any reference to it in the book. The earthquake is consistent with a super-volcano, as well as the poisonous rain, but there weren't any people fused to the ground, as far as I can remember. Which, if it was Yellowstone, then you wouldn't expect that to happen to people in Tennessee, I don't think.

However, both the book and movie mention that "the clocks stopped at 1:17", which suggests a nuclear war, due to the EMPs. Also the "long shear of light and then a series of low concussions". But I don't think it would trigger earthquakes that long after (or possibly at all), and I don't know if you could survive just wandering around in the fallout for ten years.

PSTN
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Nullbert » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:28 am

DjiboutiDan wrote:We're also due for a geomagnetic reversal, a supervolcano eruption, and a massive solar flare. There's also asteroid impacts, runaway technology, pandemics, and bioterrorism.

I blame the Illuminati. They've really been slacking lately.

Nullbert
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: British Bastard

Postby CarrieVS » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:08 am

PSTN wrote:
BROWNRECLUSE wrote:
PSTN wrote:impact event ... The Road

I thought that it was a supervolcano

...a mega-tsunami ... a nuclear war.

If we have searing light and what looks like the effects of a massive EMP, what about a solar superstorm?

Actually, I haven't read the book but based on further research, it sounds like an impact event could cause most of what you describe. Intense pulse of heat and light (could this have the effects on electricals/electronics? I can't find anything definitive but it doesn't seem out of the question), followed by global firestorms and rains of ash. Powerfully acid rain. Seismic and possibly volcanic events, naturally. Anything I've missed?

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:38 am

CarrieVS wrote:
PSTN wrote:
BROWNRECLUSE wrote:
PSTN wrote:impact event ... The Road

I thought that it was a supervolcano

...a mega-tsunami ... a nuclear war.

If we have searing light and what looks like the effects of a massive EMP, what about a solar superstorm?

Actually, I haven't read the book but based on further research, it sounds like an impact event could cause most of what you describe. Intense pulse of heat and light (could this have the effects on electricals/electronics? I can't find anything definitive but it doesn't seem out of the question), followed by global firestorms and rains of ash. Powerfully acid rain. Seismic and possibly volcanic events, naturally. Anything I've missed?

That's actually one of the most striking features of the story.

You don't know. Theres no lengthy chapter detailing the apocalypse. From the perspective of The Man (the main character - he is not named), the world just up and died one night. It's all left to the imagination.

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:44 am

BROWNRECLUSE wrote:That's actually one of the most striking features of the story.

You don't know. Theres no lengthy chapter detailing the apocalypse. From the perspective of The Man (the main character - he is not named), the world just up and died one night. It's all left to the imagination.

But aspects of what happened do get described or hinted at? I would be astonished if the author hadn't decided what had happened. It sounds like an impact event to me.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby PSTN » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:37 pm

CarrieVS wrote:But aspects of what happened do get described or hinted at?

Only vaguely. The part with the clocks stopping and the long streak of light is the only description of the day it happened. It was also quick enough to kill people where they stood, what with the first city they go through being compared to Pompeii.

Also Ely says they were warned, but didn't listen. But Ely is a liar (that's not even his real name).

Of course, there's the possibility that it's literally hell and the boy is an angel, or Jesus.

PSTN
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Matt the Czar » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:10 am

Come to Illinois, we have less tornadoes; only one every 2 years. It's stupidly hot in the summer! It's damningly cold in the winter! Fall and spring are spring and summer alternating! And the Chicago southside is perfectly safe!

"Operation Prepare Your Anus is considered to have been the most thoughtfully planned and masterfully executed humanitarian intervention in American history."-DTanza, alternatehistory.com

Now as a very moral person, I would never sell a pot brownie to a toddler.
I.. I would just GIVE it to them.- CMSellers.
Matt the Czar
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:59 am

The popular narrative seems to have moved the quake from most likely happening in the next fifty years to definitely happening in the next six months. Can anyone find actual evidence for this, or should it be brushed off as the usual mass media scaremongering?

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby AdricDePsycho » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:22 am

Well, I knew I would need to move out of Florida. The whole South can give Kansas major competition for "worst place ever" award.

I'm moving to New Zealand, bitches. Barely any people, and the scenery is literally out of a movie.

Losers!

We all go a little mad sometimes...I'm just a little mad all of the time!
AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Knife-Wielding Lunatic

PreviousNext