Let's lose weight together!

Discussion, in general

Let's lose weight together!

Postby sunglasses » Sun May 26, 2013 5:31 am

So I doubt I'm the only one who could stand to lose a pound or two. Or twenty. So let's lose weight together, yay!

I'm not going to start until Tuesday because Monday is Memorial Day and a day of mass consumption. I've done the Body for Life program before I am unsure if I'm going to do that this time or not. The last time I did it it helped a lot. I guess I'll start working out again as well on Tuesday.

I know weight and all is super personal so if it is uncomfortable for you to post anything, don't. I will be posting a starting weight and some measurements Tuesday and then once weekly to chart progress. Remember, I will be cheering you on!

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Re: Let's lose weight together!

Postby AboveGL » Sun May 26, 2013 5:50 am

I just want to become physically fit so I can survive the jujitsu warmups. I'll inevitably lose weight in the process.

Unfortunately, my mum's cooking is very unhealthy and there are too many sweet snacks around the house. Fortunately, I can actually lose a bit of weight as easily as I can gain it if I control my intake. Combine that with extra exercise on top of my sedentary routines, I should be able to lose a bit of extra fat. I can already fit into my fitting size 34 jeans which is mostly I want sizewise.

For me, it's lots of cardio and a bit of resistance training.

And best of luck, Ms Glasses! Getting started is always the insanely difficult part.

AboveGL
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Dottoe » Sun May 26, 2013 6:20 am

I do need the motivation to really stick to this cognitive therapy assisted program. I really, really should post stats and stuff, but honestly, I don't own a scale (I don't even own mirrors big enough to see more than, like, one eyelid at a time).

I'll help cheer people on though.

Living is the biggest 'screw you' you can give anyone. -Dante Shepard
Dottoe
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Skootle » Sun May 26, 2013 6:38 am

Motivation would be great. Could it get me up out of this chair? Probably not. But I will totally cheer everyone on (from my comfy, comfy chair.)

Skootle
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby Ganymede314 » Sun May 26, 2013 6:41 am

Well if any of you guys want tips on a girly workout let me know! I go to the gym and exercise a lot, it's mostly to maintain my body the way it is now and build a tiny bit of muscle, but the general workout with a healthy diet will do wonders! And it's all stuff you can do at home, cardio, light weights, and a kind of weights/aerobics combo. Holla at yo girl if you want some tips! And best of luck. I promise, three weeks in to a regular workout routine, and you will definitely feel the benefits.

"The Cosmos is all that is or was or ever will be. Our feeblest contemplations of the Cosmos stir us -- there is a tingling in the spine, a catch in the voice, a faint sensation, as if a distant memory, of falling from a height. We know we are approaching the greatest of mysteries."
-Carl Sagan
Ganymede314
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Space Face

Postby sunglasses » Sun May 26, 2013 6:46 am

Ganymede314 wrote:Well if any of you guys want tips on a girly workout let me know! I go to the gym and exercise a lot, it's mostly to maintain my body the way it is now and build a tiny bit of muscle, but the general workout with a healthy diet will do wonders! And it's all stuff you can do at home, cardio, light weights, and a kind of weights/aerobics combo. Holla at yo girl if you want some tips! And best of luck. I promise, three weeks in to a regular workout routine, and you will definitely feel the benefits.

I used to work out regularly. I mean, a lot. But I got out of it because I kept injuring myself. I know what to do, I just need to do it. Thanks for the offer though. I may just hit you up.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Australia » Sun May 26, 2013 7:59 am

Someone has to be the karmic balance. For every action, there has to be an equal and opposite reaction. Fine, I'll do it. For every pound/kilo you guys lose, I'll gain one.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby Glassjaw Girl » Sun May 26, 2013 4:16 pm

I've been working out seriously for a while. Like AboveGL I do a lot of cardio and some resistance training, and some kickboxing and dancing too. But since I've come from vacation I've been rather lazy, so I'm really grateful you made this thread, Sunglasses. I'm going running tomorrow, rain or shine. At least, I plan to do so. Because I also have plans to make chocolate pudding tomorrow. Crap.

I like to stay in shape because it's been a while since I had the desire and the money to go shopping, and I feel bad when I can't fit into my favorite jeans. I also don't get as impatient and moody as much, and the bleeding, crying angels that pop out of my ceiling every 3am also seem less scary after a good workout.

Glassjaw Girl
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Communications Commander

Postby Midas Burroughs » Sun May 26, 2013 7:11 pm

Tell you what, I'll gain weight without increasing my BMI. I won't be as fast about it as Aussie but I'll try. I'd offer to lose weight too but I'm kind of using what I have.

Resident expert of disagreeing and fruit.
Midas Burroughs
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Advocatus Diaboli

Postby Robert » Sun May 26, 2013 7:27 pm

Midas Burroughs wrote:Tell you what, I'll gain weight without increasing my BMI. I won't be as fast about it as Aussie but I'll try. I'd offer to lose weight too but I'm kind of using what I have.

I am not sure if you know how BMI works, but that's like saying I will gain weight without gaining weight. Unless of course you are still growing vertically. But good luck anyway.

Robert
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Sun May 26, 2013 10:22 pm

Robert wrote:
Midas Burroughs wrote:Tell you what, I'll gain weight without increasing my BMI. I won't be as fast about it as Aussie but I'll try. I'd offer to lose weight too but I'm kind of using what I have.

I am not sure if you know how BMI works, but that's like saying I will gain weight without gaining weight. Unless of course you are still growing vertically. But good luck anyway.

Here ya go Robert and Midas: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obe ... micalc.htm

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby D-LOGAN » Sun May 26, 2013 11:36 pm

While I do like going to gyms, they can come with some unexpected complications. Like when I started going to the one I'm in now, and was putting my stuff in the locker, this old dude came over and starting talking to me on what locker to use. Apparently kids where able to break into the ones at the top and whatnot, so he was giving me friendly advice on which ones to use. All good advice, glad to get it etc. but still, having a conversation with a completely naked elderly gentleman standing like a foot away from me as I was kneeling down..... a little surreal for my tastes, from now on I'm just in out of the changing room as fast as I can!

Not just yet, I'm still tender from before.
D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: ALL PRAISE UNTO MIGHTY KEK!

Postby Cobra-D » Mon May 27, 2013 2:12 am

Oh you humans, we snakes are naturally slimmed creatures, who have no need for things as "diet" or "exercise. Truly we are blessed by the Gods themselves.

No but seriously i've been want to bulk up a little, gain some muscle so i don't look like a walking stick. anyone have any advice on gaining arm and chest muscles?

The truth is like poetry, everyone fucking hates poetry.
Cobra-D
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: The Witty Flirt

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Mon May 27, 2013 2:15 am

Hey guys, probably am going to regret saying this, but I am a certified personal trainer. So if you guys have questions...

Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Qinglong » Mon May 27, 2013 2:23 am

Cobra-D wrote:Oh you humans, we snakes are naturally slimmed creatures, who have no need for things as "diet" or "exercise.
Snakes aren't always slim.

Man created logic and because of that was superior to it. Logic He gave unto me, but no more. The tool does not describe the designer. More than this I do not choose to say. More than this you have no need to know.
Qinglong
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Experienced Bystander

Next