5 Ways Dr. Oz Is Even Crazier Than You Realize

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

5 Ways Dr. Oz Is Even Crazier Than You Realize

Postby Cobra-D » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:54 pm

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-ways-dr.- ... ou-realize

Seriously, fuck this guy. Sorry, that's all i got.

The truth is like poetry, everyone fucking hates poetry.
Cobra-D
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: The Witty Flirt

Re: 5 Ways Dr. Oz Is Even Crazier Than You Realize

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:13 pm

You know, the more I read about people like Dr.Oz, the more I find myself agreeing with the Borg about the whole hive mind thing.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby sunglasses » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:20 pm

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Tesseracts » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:20 pm

10987508_10104979483117848_3445725774158206019_n.jpg
10987508_10104979483117848_3445725774158206019_n.jpg (30.92 KiB) Viewed 5080 times

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby Paradox » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:41 pm

What some people don't realize is that, people who eat all that foul tasting green stuff they say is good for you are healthier because they don't eat all the greasy tasty stuff we love to stuff in our mouths.

You can take your scandinavian forest berry pills all days, and they won't make a thing for you if you wash them down with french fries and pure high fructose corn syrup.

Also, what I find even more hillarious, is that things that have just reached 'Merica, are, sometimes, things people here eat since the dawn of the days. Did you know guaraná berries look like this?

[Signature removed for nonpayment.]

The artist once again known as Dox.
Paradox
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: True Neutral

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:33 pm

We are the Oz.
Your physical and mental health will be added to our own.
Resistance is futile.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Matthew Notch » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:03 pm

Okay, I'm sure there's plenty to complain about with Dr. Oz. After all, he's in the media, same as anybody who might have an audience willing to listen to him. But I'm kind of put out with the almost troped "Dr. Oz is a quack" rhetoric I see on the damn internet these days. Look, I have no love for the man, I'm not a fan of his by any means, nor do I buy wholesale into "naturopathic" medicine. But Dr. Oz is a legit doctor. He successfully performs hundreds of surgeries every year. He's won awards for being a good doctor, for crying out loud. I know Cher is on our site (maybe) and I don't mean this to sound rude, but I think I'd rather have Dr. Oz operating on me in a life or death situation than a journalist whose job is literally to make him look bad. I'm not saying to give his claims about alternative medicine a chance because of that. A lot or even most of it is hocus pocus. I just think dismissing it out of hand neglects the fact that all medicine is alternative medicine until clinical trials establish and a board of doctors certify it as... um, "real" medicine I guess.

And the whole "Dr. Oz's target audience are dumb poor people" bit reheheheheheally set me off. I haven't read anything so self-righteous since... well okay, we DO have a Social Justice Absurdity thread, but still. The sorts of doctors who would write a letter to the AMA demanding the undoctoring of Dr. Oz strike me as the same sorts of people who would blast on religion relentlessly if they thought it would make them look cool to their fellow smart guys. You can almost hear them smugly asserting, "Religion appeals almost entirely to the lesser educated, lower class individuals in our society." Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't, but good God people, show some class.

Dr. Oz is an easy target and this was an easy article.

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby Tesseracts » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:12 pm

Matthew Notch wrote:Okay, I'm sure there's plenty to complain about with Dr. Oz. After all, he's in the media, same as anybody who might have an audience willing to listen to him. But I'm kind of put out with the almost troped "Dr. Oz is a quack" rhetoric I see on the damn internet these days. Look, I have no love for the man, I'm not a fan of his by any means, nor do I buy wholesale into "naturopathic" medicine. But Dr. Oz is a legit doctor. He successfully performs hundreds of surgeries every year. He's won awards for being a good doctor, for crying out loud. I know Cher is on our site (maybe) and I don't mean this to sound rude, but I think I'd rather have Dr. Oz operating on me in a life or death situation than a journalist whose job is literally to make him look bad. I'm not saying to give his claims about alternative medicine a chance because of that. A lot or even most of it is hocus pocus. I just think dismissing it out of hand neglects the fact that all medicine is alternative medicine until clinical trials establish and a board of doctors certify it as... um, "real" medicine I guess.

And the whole "Dr. Oz's target audience are dumb poor people" bit reheheheheheally set me off. I haven't read anything so self-righteous since... well okay, we DO have a Social Justice Absurdity thread, but still. The sorts of doctors who would write a letter to the AMA demanding the undoctoring of Dr. Oz strike me as the same sorts of people who would blast on religion relentlessly if they thought it would make them look cool to their fellow smart guys. You can almost hear them smugly asserting, "Religion appeals almost entirely to the lesser educated, lower class individuals in our society." Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't, but good God people, show some class.

I don't give a shit if he's done good stuff as a doctor. All his fake medicine fake science bullshit means he's done more harm than good with his life. This has fuck all to do with "looking cool," I just want people to get health care that doesn't fucking kill them. He's also not such an "easy target" when he actually has a wide following and influence. Most of the crap on the SJW thread is stuff only a small percentage of the world is even aware of. Dr. Oz is a man heavily promoted by Oprah. This is real fucking life.
Matthew Notch wrote:I know Cher is on our site (maybe) and I don't mean this to sound rude, but I think I'd rather have Dr. Oz operating on me in a life or death situation than a journalist whose job is literally to make him look bad.

Ok, seriously, Notch? What the hell does this mean? Does someone need to be a surgeon in order to criticize a surgeon? I thought you were smarter than this. Journalism has a place in our society. What do you suggest that place is, to suck up to everyone? Dr. Oz is a predator who feeds off of ignorance to sell his products. He's doing just fine in life regardless of how much Cracked dislikes him, so I find your sympathy for him and your disdain for "atheists" astounding.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby ThatGirlfromCracked » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:26 pm

Matthew Notch wrote:. I know Cher is on our site (maybe) and I don't mean this to sound rude, but I think I'd rather have Dr. Oz operating on me in a life or death situation than a journalist whose job is literally to make him look bad. I'm not saying to give his claims about alternative medicine a chance because of that. A lot or even most of it is hocus pocus. I just think dismissing it out of hand neglects the fact that all medicine is alternative medicine until clinical trials establish and a board of doctors certify it as... um, "real" medicine I guess.

Um, why would anyone want a journalist operating on them? I sure as shit wouldn't. Also, I say the man has a very good track record as a surgeon, but he still abuses his position and title to make money which is fucked up as hell.

And don't get bent because Pew research shows the people who are home during the day are statistically less educated and make less than 30k. It's kind of common sense if they are home during typical business hours that they may not have a job or may be under employed. And don't be so naive as to think TV networks & marketers don't use that to their advantage.

Instead, people should care that this happens. I care and I don't even watch this asshole. But I know people who fall for his shit and the whole anti-science movement is an issue.

ThatGirlfromCracked
I'm new, be gentle
I'm new, be gentle

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:55 pm

Ohhhh yes they do. And when I have patients telling me they stopped taking their blood pressure pills because they heard of an herbal remedy I just want to roll up a newspaper and smack them upside the head and yell "NO, BAD PATIENT."

But I don't. I try to go over studies and evidence based medicine and then realize they've tuned me out.

Maybe the solution is for me to whore myself out to Oprah.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby pikajew » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:57 pm

I get to pull out the "fiance's annoying aunt" card again!

She wholeheartedly believes everything Dr. Oz says. She won't allow apple juice in her house because of the show he did on arsenic in apple juice.

Since Dr. Oz supports alkaline water, she will admit to spending $50,000 on his endorsed brand in the past two years. (Which, since she makes us all drink this stupid stuff at family dinners, tastes horrible. It tastes like pool water. Hot pool water, since he recommends room temperature water and "room temperature" in Las Vegas is usually obnoxiously hot.)

My point is that he should take responsibility for what he says. People tend to believe doctors. People are blindly doing what he says because he's a doctor and he's taking advantage of that. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect him to not recommend health fixes that aren't proven/tested/approved by the FDA/researched to make sure they aren't harmful. (Since, y'know, green coffee is bad for people with heart issues, a heart surgeon probably should think twice about telling people to take it.)

pikajew
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep
Title: Darth

Postby sunglasses » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:00 pm

Oh god, the alkaline club. You know the believer's of Edgar Casey are big into alkaline diets?

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:09 pm

What is Reiki? According to Reiki.org, it's a technique for stress reduction that's administered by "laying on hands." It's supposed to tap into an unseen life energy that flows through all of us. You know the one.

That would explain the cloaked and completely serious woman who wanted to do some vaguely mystical thing to me the last time I was in the hospital. (To my credit, I tried really hard not to laugh at her, but the whole conversation felt completely absurd and was unlike anything I could have ever expected.) Looking at their website, the whole thing seems to me like it would induce stress rather than relieve it.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:14 pm

Because pressing your face and hands against a surgical incision is a bright idea.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby JamishT » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:26 pm

I got like the #5 top comment on there, I'm happy!

Okay I'm not that shallow, I think that homeopathic medicine is a real danger, and it's sad how many people buy into complete crap. It's even more sad that there's not a lot you can say to persuade them otherwise.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Next