5 Outdated Myths Everyone Still Believes About Bisexuality

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

5 Outdated Myths Everyone Still Believes About Bisexuality

Postby DamianaRaven » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:00 pm

I am so glad this article got written. I don't presently have time to go over all the points one by one, but they're all true. It's not "just a phase," it's not a state of "sexual indecision," and it doesn't automatically mean that someone is just a horny slut who'll fuck anyone with a pulse. Bisexual men aren't just "gay guys trying to hide it" and bisexual women most are most certainly NOT just "straight gals trying to put something sexy on their dating résumé." (Screw you Firefox, it's a whole 'nother word without the accents.)

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Re: 5 Outdated Myths Everyone Still Believes About Bisexuali

Postby Tesseracts » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:19 pm

I literally just yesterday changed my online dating thing to say "bisexual." Before, I had written "undecided." I'm angry at myself for doing that. Undecided, seriously? What does that even mean?

The problem here is I have no real dating experience, and I irrationally feel like I need to prove my orientation. However, I have in the past attempted to online date both genders, so that's pretty good evidence right there.

There's a lot of confusion about bisexuality. A lot of people have told me they have been sexually aroused by people of the same gender, but that doesn't mean they are not straight. I don't get it. I've also had people become really threatened by orientation and insist that I am straight against my will.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby Popinki » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:28 pm

Some people get irrational when something doesn't fit neatly into a traditional binary system.

Popinki
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:28 pm

Tesseracts wrote: I've also had people become really threatened by orientation and insist that I am straight against my will.

My mother keeps insisting I am/was confused.

Fun times.

I have have people assume the three some thing. I've also had people assume that if you magically put two women in a room who are bi they're totally going to jump all over each other. It's very irritating. I've also had my one attempt at online dating go like this about 20 times:
"Hi, you're cute!"
"Thanks so are you!"
"You want to have a three some with me and my husband?"
"uh, no."

My personal favorite is the "Well, you're not dating any women so you must not be bi." Do you have any idea how much harder it is to tell if another chick is into you in a small, rural area? It's pretty easy to see if a man is into you, however. I can throw an apple and see where it lands much easier than if I throw a grape.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Crimson847 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:30 pm

I think almost every girl I knew in high school identified as bisexual at some point. This was in Portland; we didn't have to wait until college to experiment.

It's a little weird to make the "going through a phase" assumption about someone in their thirties, though. The thing about phases is that they end.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:17 pm

Yeah I hate to admit it but that is a real phenomenon. There are people who pretend to be bisexual for some ulterior motive.

I believe a big part of the reason so many gays are biphobic is because a lot of gays have a history of being a pretend bisexual. They "come out" as bi because they're afraid to be gay. Later they eventually come out as gay but they assume all bisexuals are lying.

Alternatively, sometimes a genuine bisexual is pressured into choosing a side. According to the Kinsey scale most people must be capable of attraction to both genders.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep

Postby Paradox » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:24 pm

I'm usually attracted to guys, like 99% of the time. But in a couple situations in my life, I have fallen head over heels for a girl.

So I don't know. I usually consider myself straight, but, maybe, bisexuality isn't black and white, and everyone has some degree of it in them.

I guess it isn't much different than the fact that I'm attracted to guys, but 90% of them don't interest me at all.

[Signature removed for nonpayment.]

The artist once again known as Dox.
Paradox
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: True Neutral

Postby NathanLoiselle » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:27 pm

Don't worry Sunny. You can date me. After all, my wife says I cry like a woman.

So is that still a no to the threesome?

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:27 pm

Paradox wrote:I'm usually attracted to guys, like 99% of the time. But in a couple situations in my life, I have fallen head over heels for a girl.

So I don't know. I usually consider myself straight, but, maybe, bisexuality isn't black and white, and everyone has some degree of it in them.

I guess it isn't much different than the fact that I'm attracted to guys, but 90% of them don't interest me at all.

Everyone seems to think "heteroflexible" is a stupid word, but I think it can fit for situations like this.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:32 pm

Tesseracts wrote:
Paradox wrote:I'm usually attracted to guys, like 99% of the time. But in a couple situations in my life, I have fallen head over heels for a girl.

Everyone seems to think "heteroflexible" is a stupid word, but I think it can fit for situations like this.

I don't know, I've really only heard that used to describe 2s, not 1s. But then again, why not? There's enough labels already.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby FaceTheCitizen » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:46 pm

FaceTheCitizen
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Thot Patrol

Postby Crimson847 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:48 pm

Tesseracts wrote:Yeah I hate to admit it but that is a real phenomenon. There are people who pretend to be bisexual for some ulterior motive.

It's not clear to me that they're "pretending", exactly. Maybe some are, but I suspect there's also some genuine confusion going on. Teenagers are all about trying on new roles to see how they fit, then keeping the ones that work for them and discarding the ones that don't. Why should sexuality be any different?

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Paradox » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:50 pm

I had a friend say he's gay, but if the girl is hot, he will do her. He's gonna orgasm anyway.

Can't say I oppose to his logic.

[Signature removed for nonpayment.]

The artist once again known as Dox.
Paradox
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: True Neutral

Postby Tesseracts » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:51 pm

Paradox wrote:I had a friend say he's gay, but if the girl is hot, he will do her. He's gonna orgasm anyway.

I can. If it's all about the orgasm and orgasm only, why does she need to be hot?

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep

Postby Crimson847 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:52 pm

Paradox wrote:I had a friend say he's gay, but if the girl is hot, he will do her. He's gonna orgasm anyway.

- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Next