FLOWERS! GARDENING!

What do you do with your free time?

Re: FLOWERS! GARDENING!

Postby Arkyle » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:17 pm

I hope you get something fabulous :)

http://www.almanac.com/content/plant-hardiness-zones Should help you in your research about the weather. Although, if you go to a good nursery they should be able to help you out with local info as well as most suited cultivars.

Arkyle
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby Malfeasinator » Wed May 27, 2015 2:15 am

I don't have a yard to do any gardening with anymore. So this year I'm going to do some rogue gardening.

Hard Style!

http://www.treehugger.com/lawn-garden/flower-shells-shotgun-flower-seeds-guerilla-gardening-studio-total.html

Finally, a use for that Garden and Gun magazine.

No, but seriously, I've just got some houseplants that I'm taking care of at the moment.

Malfeasinator
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: this guy

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Wed May 27, 2015 2:23 am

I quite like the idea of scattering wildflower seeds wherever.

A society without redemption would damn us all ~ Kate
OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Magnifitail

Postby Revolving Royal » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:30 am

I love flowers! Especially of the wild variety. I consider myself pretty proficient in identifying species in my area, the southeast, and plan on having an all native garden on day.

"We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled. The trick is knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out" -Ray Bradbury

I am not “full of hate” as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine. ~Internet Wiseman
Revolving Royal
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Lurker

Postby Malfeasinator » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:45 am

Revolving Royal wrote:I love flowers! Especially of the wild variety. I consider myself pretty proficient in identifying species in my area, the southeast, and plan on having an all native garden on day.

You'd probably like "Eat the Weeds", a series on Youtube by "Green Deane" about doing just that. He also has a website "eatheweeds.com" and has classes from time to time, at different places in Florida. I wish I had the time and money when I lived there to check him out. If I get the chance to visit my old friends, I might have to swing by one of his foraging classes.

Malfeasinator
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: this guy

Postby Revolving Royal » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:52 am

I do! I plan on making my owm tea mixes out of the plants I have, and am going berrying in the next two weeks or so.

"We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled. The trick is knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out" -Ray Bradbury

I am not “full of hate” as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine. ~Internet Wiseman
Revolving Royal
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:13 pm

I garden.
I'm pretty terrible at it, and used to say I have "a brown thumb." I mean, I've managed to underwater cacti and overwater carnivorous plants.

Ultimately I realized that I really have twin problems of laziness and cheapness. I used to never do research on what I needed to do with the plants I tried to grow. I now do my research at least, but I still refuse to spend money on fertilizers, refuse to spend money on fungicides until it's too late, and then don't spray the fungicides at the right time of day.

I've discovered though that there are some plants which survive my abuse quite easily. These include cucumbers, snow peas, popcorn, and some summer squash. (Also radishes, but nobody I know really likes radishes.) They also include nasturtiums and many flowers in the sunflower family including sunflowers themselves, zinnias, dahlias, and marigolds. And inside the house they include snake plants, jade plants, cacti, Venus fly traps, and peace plants.

All the same, I keep trying to grow melons, carrots, dent corn, osteospermums, ficuses, pelargoniums, and all sorts of fancy succulents.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Revolving Royal » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:33 am

If you want more carnivorous plants, monkey cups seem pretty forgiving. I had one that was half dead from the store and forgot to water it for a couple weeks, I started watering regularly two weeks ago and now it has cups!

Revolving Royal
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby octoberpumpkin » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:01 pm

The roof people had put supplies on my roses and my roses are dead and broken now :(

octoberpumpkin
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Pinkasaurus Rex

Postby LaChaise » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:22 pm

A more experienced person will tell you more about it but depending on the kind of roses, they can be some tough sons and if you take care of not letting them completely die they have a chance of springing back up. Hope that'll be the case for you.

As for the roof people, try to see if you can't be reimbursed/they can't take care of it. The movers did the same kind of thing when my mom bought an apartment, and she managed to have them pay for a landscaper to come repair their shit. Usually just contacting the boss, politely explaining the situation, and asking if there's anything that can be done is the way to go.

"Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?"

"I'll die soon. But the last twenty minutes have been the best years of my life."
LaChaise
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep
Title: Lust in Translation

Postby Jack Road » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:47 am

I am buying Wasabi plants from these people

http://www.thewasabistore.com/shop/wasabi-plantlet

Because I really want to try actual Wasabi, since Cracked assures me that I have actually been eating raven shit that has been dyed green.

One time I killed a plastic plant, so here is hoping I keep it alive and am not taken in by the police for questioning on why I bought a plant from Oregon.

Since I have no input beyond this, I will provide a lesson in business. My mother has a vast rose garden. She once paid me a penny for every Japanese beetle I picked off of the plants. I made about $5 a week doing that, but one day in my wanderings I discovered my neighbor's grape vine grove, teeming with hundreds of the nasty little buggers. For awhile I got away with collecting them and adding them to the bag from the rose garden, adding about $3 to my weekly fee. Then I got greedy, and my mom demanded an explanation of why the population of beetles in her rose garden had risen 250%.

The moral of the story is that grift has to be throttled against greed to succeed.

Jack Road
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby Cordslash » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:59 pm

Spring hasn't even officially begun (even though the weather has decided we're skipping that this year and jumped directly to summer), and there has been no rain yet, but damn my clivias are already blooming and looking good!

Clivias.jpg
Clivias!
Clivias.jpg (813.56 KiB) Viewed 8722 times

*The artist formerly known as CmdrVimes*

Hancock, John.
Cordslash
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Blackboard Monitor

Postby Revolving Royal » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:05 pm

Beautiful! They look a lot like orang milkweed, are they related?

Revolving Royal
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby Cordslash » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:07 pm

Doubt it. Clivias are native to southern Africa (where I live), and milkweed to North America.

Also guys my roses (red, pink and white) are starting to bud. Holy crap!

I'll post pics as soon as they're luvverly.

*The artist formerly known as CmdrVimes*

Hancock, John.
Cordslash
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Blackboard Monitor

Postby Revolving Royal » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:32 am

The Irises are blooming away, don't have a decent camera at the moment though. All the roses are in bloom too, and I'm exited for my mom's Honey Perfume in paticular. It has the most beautiful peach flowers and an incredible scent.

What I'm slightly puzzled by is the trees around our house. There's one wild cherry that used to be a twig underneath the steps and now it's about five inches across and almost as tall as the building. The same thing happened with the other saplings we left alone, including a Silver Maple and a Bradford Pear now bigger than the building. It couldn't have been more than three years since they started growing.

Here are the Irises:
Spoiler: show
image.jpg
image.jpg (317.07 KiB) Viewed 8373 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (342.54 KiB) Viewed 8373 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (222.95 KiB) Viewed 8373 times

Revolving Royal
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

PreviousNext