A Sneak Preview Of The Horror That Is Windows 10

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

A Sneak Preview Of The Horror That Is Windows 10

Postby jbobsully11 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:42 am

link

Considering that I was using Windows XP until just a few weeks ago, the idea of getting a real Start menu again sounds exciting, and based on what I've read elsewhere, I'm cautiously optimistic. As for the article, a lot of the commenters didn't think it was funny, but I liked it.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Re: A Sneak Preview Of The Horror That Is Windows 10

Postby ghijkmnop » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:46 am

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby Paradox » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:59 am

There's an old Jewish tale about a woman living in one room with her husband and their seven children. She complained to her Rabbi that there was no room to move in the single room. "Bring your goat into the room to live with you," advised the Rabbi. "But, Rabbi," she said, "It is already impossible to move around the room; therefore it will be worse if we bring in the goat." The Rabbi insisted that she comply. A few days later the woman returned to the Rabbi. She said that she had brought in the goat, and the family's life was unbearable. "Now," advised the Rabbi, "Take the goat out from the room and back to her yard." The woman returned later to thank the Rabbi, "Now our room is all of a sudden spacious with the goat gone..."

My point is...we have the start menu back. What else do we need?

[Signature removed for nonpayment.]

The artist once again known as Dox.
Paradox
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: True Neutral

Postby Popinki » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:29 am

The neverending parade of people in the comments not getting the joke about Windows 9 (honestly, how much more over the top could he have been?) was the funniest part of that article.

Popinki
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:04 am

Right above my comment is this one:
Jactana wrote:Cortana. Who else feels like this is going to be the new Office paperclip guy?

I've been using non-Windows systems for almost a decade, and I'd completely forgotten about Clippy.

Now I suddenly have this inexplicable urge to go on a murderous rampage.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby AdricDePsycho » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:18 am

cmsellers wrote:Right above my comment is this one:
Jactana wrote:Cortana. Who else feels like this is going to be the new Office paperclip guy?

I've been using non-Windows systems for almost a decade, and I'd completely forgotten about Clippy.

Me too.

*bursts into a bar to the tune of Hair of the Dog by Nazareth and starts breaking people's necks*
NOW YOUR MESSING WITH A SON OF A BITCH

We all go a little mad sometimes...I'm just a little mad all of the time!
AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Knife-Wielding Lunatic

Postby CarrieVS » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:15 pm

cmsellers wrote:I've been using non-Windows systems for almost a decade, and I'd completely forgotten about Clippy.

Honestly, I've been using Windows systems this whole time, and I'd completely forgotten about Clippy. I haven't encountered the blighter in years, and a few months ago I got a new version of Office on my work computer and I'm sure I didn't have to turn it off. Could they possibly have lost the wretch or turned it off by default?

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Taluun » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:10 pm

If windows 10 is as much as an improvement 8 was over 7 then I will be very happy. I seem to be one of the people who actually likes windows 8 over 7 based on the comments on that article.

Taluun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby ghijkmnop » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:15 pm

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby cmsellers » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:43 pm

CarrieVS wrote:Honestly, I've been using Windows systems this whole time, and I'd completely forgotten about Clippy. I haven't encountered the blighter in years, and a few months ago I got a new version of Office on my work computer and I'm sure I didn't have to turn it off. Could they possibly have lost the wretch or turned it off by default?

According to Wikipedia the all-knowing, Microsoft stopped putting Clippy on Office for Windows after 2003, and Office for Mac after 2004. Considering that I used Office for Mac 2004 until a few years ago (when I got a new computer and switched to Linux), I must have turned it off immediately. And apparently, on Office for Mac, when you turn him off, he stays off.

Also, I realized that as a kid, I missed a chance to go trick-or-treating dressed as that fucking paperclip. Instead, I went as not-all-that-scary stuff; things like a raptor and John Ashcroft. (Yes, I really went as John Ashcroft in 2001. That might have been a sign that I was a little old for trick-or-treating.)

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Qinglong » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:02 pm

Chris continues to be my favourite Cracked writer. In his intro to this article, he included a link to a much older (2009) article of his, A Review of the Pirated Copy of Windows 7 I Bought On eBay. It's funny, of course, but there is an entire story revealed in the images of the article which are simply hilarious.

Man created logic and because of that was superior to it. Logic He gave unto me, but no more. The tool does not describe the designer. More than this I do not choose to say. More than this you have no need to know.
Qinglong
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Experienced Bystander

Postby rowdyrodimus » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:49 pm

Paradox wrote:There's an old Jewish tale about a woman living in one room with her husband and their seven children. She complained to her Rabbi that there was no room to move in the single room. "Bring your goat into the room to live with you," advised the Rabbi. "But, Rabbi," she said, "It is already impossible to move around the room; therefore it will be worse if we bring in the goat." The Rabbi insisted that she comply. A few days later the woman returned to the Rabbi. She said that she had brought in the goat, and the family's life was unbearable. "Now," advised the Rabbi, "Take the goat out from the room and back to her yard." The woman returned later to thank the Rabbi, "Now our room is all of a sudden spacious with the goat gone..."

My point is...we have the start menu back. What else do we need?

Paradox, I have to say, that is one of the best parables I've ever read. I had never heard it before but it really does make me think which is the entire point, right?

rowdyrodimus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: Lord Of Nothing

Postby SilverMaple » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:35 am

clippy1.jpg
clippy1.jpg (64.59 KiB) Viewed 3543 times

Bert wrote:The best part of my job is fistfighting an 8 year old every day.

//Friend come and go, like the wave in the ocean, but true ones stay like an octopus on our face.\\
SilverMaple
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Nerd of a Feather

Postby Gendry » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:16 am

cmsellers wrote:I've been using non-Windows systems for almost a decade, and I'd completely forgotten about Clippy.

It looks like you're trying to commit a quadruple homicide. Can I help you with that?

"Sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
Gendry
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep
Title: King of the Andals

Postby Crimson847 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:27 am

cmsellers wrote:Also, I realized that as a kid, I missed a chance to go trick-or-treating dressed as that fucking paperclip. Instead, I went as not-all-that-scary stuff; things like a raptor and John Ashcroft. (Yes, I really went as John Ashcroft in 2001. That might have been a sign that I was a little old for trick-or-treating.)

How exactly does one dress as John Ashcroft? Did you just wear a suit and go around peeking in people's windows all night, then waterboard some neighborhood kids into giving you their candy?

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Next