21 Movie villains who were actually good guys.

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

21 Movie villains who were actually good guys.

Postby thatindianguy » Sat May 30, 2015 5:18 pm

http://www.cracked.com/photoplasty_1512 ... good-guys/

Fun fact the lack of logic in the original articles most of these come from was what originally prompted me to begin commenting.

I feel a certain sense of completeness.

thatindianguy
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Re: 21 Movie villains who were actually good guys.

Postby Marcuse » Sat May 30, 2015 5:39 pm

I know it's a photoplasty, so it's got lack of depth built in, but these felt like low hanging fruit. It does make me want to write another one of my "Why I Root for the Villain" articles again. I like villains, and I like ones with motivations that seem believable and interesting. Some of these showed that and others didn't.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Popinki » Sat May 30, 2015 5:50 pm

Egads. I'm all for alternative character interpretations but this is stretching it so thin it's got only one side.

I mean, I don't know how anyone who has seen Disney's Beauty & the Beast can not know that Belle offered to stay in exchange for her father's freedom, the Beast let her go to her sick father with no hesitation, and that Belle had enough of a backbone to stand up to him. Or not know that Gaston was a self-absobed douche aircraft carrier who only wanted Belle because she was as pretty as him, and was willing to resort to blackmail, slander, breaking and entering, and murder to do so.

Popinki
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby ghijkmnop » Sat May 30, 2015 5:52 pm

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby sunglasses » Sat May 30, 2015 5:57 pm

Popinki wrote:Egads. I'm all for alternative character interpretations but this is stretching it so thin it's got only one side.

I mean, I don't know how anyone who has seen Disney's Beauty & the Beast can not know that Belle offered to stay in exchange for her father's freedom, the Beast let her go to her sick father with no hesitation, and that Belle had enough of a backbone to stand up to him. Or not know that Gaston was a self-absobed douche aircraft carrier who only wanted Belle because she was as pretty as him, and was willing to resort to blackmail, slander, breaking and entering, and murder to do so.

The Beast gives the best gifts. a whole library?!

*cough* Disney princesses? I am so there. And I agree with you.

I love watching him die so much, here's a gif of it:

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby TwoSheds » Sat May 30, 2015 9:28 pm

I'm pretty tired of seeing the one about Sauron. All it really proves is the writer has a very flimsy grasp on Tolkien's lore and should feel deeply ashamed.

AmandaBynes said in the comments that the trend of interpreting good guys as bad guys and vice versa is getting tiring and I've got to agree. I know it's part of the whole pop culture analysis thing that Cracked does, which overall is fine, but I find that particular subject is often very poorly argued and the arguments are too far stretched.

Fire up the tulley toggle.
TwoSheds
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Maestro

Postby 52xMax » Sat May 30, 2015 9:37 pm

sunglasses wrote:I love watching him die so much, here's a gif of it:

That very last frame with the skulls on Gaston's eyes... is that really in the movie?

MIND. FUCKIN. BLOWN.

"When in doubt... well, don't ask me!"
52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Salmon the Wise

Postby 52xMax » Sat May 30, 2015 10:06 pm

Sorry for doubleposting, but I actually took the time to check out the photoplasty, and I gotta say, now I get why this auntiememe person gets so much hate.

Out of the 21 entries, there was not a single redeeming one. Even those movies where a point could actually be made that the heroes are assholes and/or the "villains" are just misunderstood (the rape in revenge of the nerds, the dean in animal house... and that's probably it) the descriptions are so poor and reductionist it's hard to defend the merits of her "arguments". Not to mention, she used the same boring format for all entries, which is fine for a six point article with detailed explanations, but it gets really tiresome in a photoplasty after the third image or so. User generated images add a much needed variety, and usually a lot of thought goes into creating each picture.

It's nice to see the whole comments section in agreement, too.

"When in doubt... well, don't ask me!"
52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Salmon the Wise

Postby TwoSheds » Sat May 30, 2015 10:58 pm

I read recently, I think it was in PWoT, that the editors actually supply AuntieMeme with the text, she simply puts it into an image and jazzes it up a bit. That doesn't really account for how the layout get repetitive, but if that's the case then it would at least shift responsibility for silly text from her to the editors.

TwoSheds
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Popinki » Sat May 30, 2015 11:32 pm

@Sunglasses: I know, right? When it first came out, my sisters and I went to see it and when he revealed the library all three of us went "ooooooooohhhhh" and afterwards all agreed we wanted a guy like that.

And I love the gif of Gaston's death so much I want to hug it...

...and it brings to mind another problem I have with the phosoplasty entry...

...which was that Beast was willing to let Gaston just walk away, and dumbass Gaston went and stabbed him in the back.

What irks me about the AuntieMeme photoplasties (quality aside) is that there's one every week so she "wins" $100 every week. Presenting it as a "contest" that she "wins" just because she manages to crank out so damned many entries seems kind of unfair to the other people who submit entries for photoplasties.

People wanting to write articles have to go through the vetting/editorial process and are only allowed to do certain kinds of articles (it's what turned me off, because I'm not really interested in writing fact-based listicles and my life is too boring for the "slice of life" ones). So come up with an idea, submit it, write an article, watch it get dissected, and maybe it doesn't get published even though you've done everything right.

Slap a load of text cribbed from old articles over a bunch of movie screenshots? PAYDAY!!!!!

Popinki
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby TwoSheds » Sat May 30, 2015 11:41 pm

She was actually hired by the site to produce them once a week; that's why every Saturday there's a contest that consists only of entries by her. For whatever reason, they haven't changed the format away from the regular photoplasty one yet, despite the "10 crazy things that happened this week" format being all they really need. Some people think it's because letting people know it's an AM photoplasty up front would lead to people avoiding clicking on it, but they've said in the forums that they just haven't gotten around to it yet. It should probably be noted they've been saying that since AM started over a year ago.

TwoSheds
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Popinki » Sun May 31, 2015 12:23 am

Ah, ok. I won't pick on her for doing her job. Now I'm just mildly annoyed with the Powers That Be, since they're presenting it as something it's not and they've got to know what a nitpicky bunch their readership is; if they're the ones telling her what to put in the list, she's the one catching flak for it. (Maybe she doesn't care and is just laughing all the way to the bank.)

And I'm cynical enough to think that if they did start listing them as AuntieMeme photoplasties, there'd be plenty of readers who'd click anyway just to complain in the comments, like they did with ATB's more inflammatory articles.

Popinki
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby Jeckel » Sun May 31, 2015 1:17 am

As I remember reading on PWoT, Wong enjoys how using the improper format for AM plasties annoys commenters.

Jeckel
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby Jack Road » Sun May 31, 2015 1:55 am

I mean, I don't really think Gaston was a great dude. But I also don't think the beast was that great either. Both pretty horrid all around I say.

But I'd probably also be okay with abuse if there was a library involved.

Jack Road
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sun May 31, 2015 2:09 am

ARRGH! RAWRGH! AUNTIE MEME!! RAARGH! ARRGH!

*proceeds to Godzilla his way through TCS*

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Next