6 Things You Learn Getting Paid To Troll People Online

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

6 Things You Learn Getting Paid To Troll People Online

Postby thatindianguy » Wed May 27, 2015 2:09 pm

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-things-yo ... le-online/

So Cracked bought back the hipster guy to explain to us all about his illustrious career trolling people online.

I honestly don't know how to make this seem more ridiculous than it is, so I'll just say this.

Cracked do you need to like borrow some cash or something?

thatindianguy
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Re: 6 Things You Learn Getting Paid To Troll People Online

Postby archaeologydalek » Wed May 27, 2015 2:18 pm

REDACTED

Last edited by archaeologydalek on Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
archaeologydalek
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby Taluun » Wed May 27, 2015 2:24 pm

When I saw the title of the article I assumed it was him but opened it anyway. The first page of the article was just sad and depressing so I didn't click the 2nd page.

I have nothing against trolling. Pretty much everyone trolls their friends and family. Quite a bit of human interaction is trolling so it always amazes me the hatred trolling gets but I think thats largely just because people don't really think about what makes something a troll.

That being said, the article made me sad and depressed just because I find it disheartening that Cracked would publish an article like this.

Taluun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Wed May 27, 2015 2:44 pm

archaeologydalek wrote:Sorry, that was me. I accidentally bought a private jet on the company credit card.

DAMN IT DALEK!

You're supposed to exterminate-not exterminate credit lines.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Marcuse » Wed May 27, 2015 3:03 pm

This article is basically the reason I've tired of content from Cracked. I suppose to be fair it'd be the reason I'd tire of content from anywhere, so it's not like it's a Cracked specific complaint, but it's where I see it so it's what I'm complaining about.

The theory goes that trolling readers keeps people coming back whether the content is any good or not, because the content is designed to create outrage and get people talking. It's the equivalent of tabloid journalism, but worse because it doesn't have the veneer of professionalism that journalism had, given it's apparently dead.

I suppose the annoying part is that it does work, in the same manner strip mining works. It's destructive, and short term and causes long term damage but it does, in the short term, work. I'm annoyed by the premise because it is harmful in the long term, but they characterise an exodus of long term users supplanted by a transient base of short term visitors with no reason to come back for tomorrow's content as genius when I feel like it's the problem that's making me not enjoy the site as much any more.

Obviously that's variable to different authors, but still, it seems like this trolling mentality is at the heart of modern Cracked and it's what keeps me away. It makes me sad and angry because I really do want to like the site, I just can't condone this kind of content creation and I don't enjoy it.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby thatindianguy » Wed May 27, 2015 3:08 pm

Looking at stuff like this I have to wonder if the higher ups at Cracked care about or even like Cracked that much any more or if they're looking to move on to bigger stuff. or maybe it's just Demand Media.

Either way it just further reinforces my belief that the site has no business criticizing other media outlets for pretty much anything.

Deceptive advertisements, poor research, flame bait, driving select topics into the ground, they do all these things on a regular basis.

thatindianguy
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby AdricDePsycho » Wed May 27, 2015 3:18 pm

I was gonna start the thread, but Indy beat me to it. But I couldn't finish the article. It was shit. Plain and simple. Not even ATB's worst articles, nor McKinney's feminism article, nor the damn Zoe Quinn shiticane were this bad. This guy doesn't deserve clicks. I decree that any article this asshole writes should be boycotted. Don't give it any clicks. Don't feed the trolls.

Also, Darkstolm unmasked him. He's actually Title Guy.

We all go a little mad sometimes...I'm just a little mad all of the time!
AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Knife-Wielding Lunatic

Postby Marcuse » Wed May 27, 2015 3:20 pm

Adric wrote:I was gonna start the thread, but Indy beat me to it. But I couldn't finish the article. It was shit. Plain and simple. Not even ATB's worst articles, nor McKinney's feminism article, nor the damn Zoe Quinn shiticane were this bad. This guy doesn't deserve clicks. I decree that any article this asshole writes should be boycotted. Don't give it any clicks. Don't feed the trolls.

Adric, you know that kind of reaction isn't okay. There's plenty of ways you can express displeasure at the quality of an article without resorting to insulting language and calling for people to boycott Cracked.

As a non-moderatorial aside, reacting this violently and vehemently to an article is exactly what trolling is there to do. If you want to stop feeding the trolls, start with your own reaction.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby thatindianguy » Wed May 27, 2015 3:22 pm

archaeologydalek wrote:Sorry, that was me. I accidentally bought a private jet on the company credit card.

And then D.O.B loved it so much no one had the heart to return it huh?
Hey I thought you were just a freelancer? How the hell did they let you use the card anyway?

thatindianguy
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Australia » Wed May 27, 2015 3:23 pm

Rick Astly will lend you any of the movies in his Pixar collection.

Except one.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby thatindianguy » Wed May 27, 2015 3:25 pm

Okay what the hell did Australia's comment mean.

thatindianguy
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Australia » Wed May 27, 2015 3:28 pm

It's a trolling reference in pun form. Best of both worlds.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep

Postby ShuaiGuy » Wed May 27, 2015 3:30 pm

<Redacted>

Last edited by ShuaiGuy on Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShuaiGuy
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Australia » Wed May 27, 2015 3:33 pm

I've never outsmarted anyone since that "morphine is my favourite number" joke a few years back. Proud moment for me.

... I don't have a high bar for proud moments.

Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep

Postby AdricDePsycho » Wed May 27, 2015 3:35 pm

Marcuse wrote:
Adric wrote:I was gonna start the thread, but Indy beat me to it. But I couldn't finish the article. It was shit. Plain and simple. Not even ATB's worst articles, nor McKinney's feminism article, nor the damn Zoe Quinn shiticane were this bad. This guy doesn't deserve clicks. I decree that any article this asshole writes should be boycotted. Don't give it any clicks. Don't feed the trolls.

Adric, you know that kind of reaction isn't okay. There's plenty of ways you can express displeasure at the quality of an article without resorting to insulting language and calling for people to boycott Cracked.

As a non-moderatorial aside, reacting this violently and vehemently to an article is exactly what trolling is there to do. If you want to stop feeding the trolls, start with your own reaction.

Oops...
Understood. But i'm saying not to boycott Cracked, but the author's works. If we ignore him, he's not gonna get as many clicks.

And I will revise my critique like so: I did not enjoy the article, reading it made me depressed that Cracked would stoop this low, and I couldn't finish it because of that. The author really loves getting attention, so I'm not giving him any.

I don't know about any of you, but i'm not reading any potential future articles by this guy.

We all go a little mad sometimes...I'm just a little mad all of the time!
AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Knife-Wielding Lunatic

Next