5 Bizarre Ways People Are Fooling Surveillance Systems

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

5 Bizarre Ways People Are Fooling Surveillance Systems

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Sat May 23, 2015 11:52 pm

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Re: 5 Bizarre Ways People Are Fooling Surveillance Systems

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sun May 24, 2015 3:12 am

How come he didn't bring up tin foil masks? They're the perfect companion to tin foil hats. They reflect light like LED's and cover your face. Plus they're spiffy!

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Sun May 24, 2015 3:18 am

I've always thought privacy measures like Tor and proxy IPs have similar problems to the ones pointed out here. In just the same way I'd wonder why someone was wearing a mask, if I were a surveillance person, the very first thing I'd look for would be people who were attempting to avoid surveillance, and I'd be suspicious of them even if they were talking about their cats and the best recipe for chicken and mushroom pie.

A society without redemption would damn us all ~ Kate
OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Magnifitail

Postby Jeckel » Sun May 24, 2015 5:48 pm

I used to think stuff like this was of the tinfoil hat side, but the more I learn about the 'Internet of Things' that many large companies are putting more and more effort towards, the more important I think knowing how to protect yourself from this crap becomes.

Google, Microsoft, Cisco, Oracle, Samsung, IBM, ARM, Intel, GE, and the list goes on. Each one of those is putting billion dollar efforts into a world were everything in your house and the outside world is connected together and can channel information about each and every one of us back to their corporate masters.

This isn't fiction or a conspiracy, it is fact happily proclaimed openly by these companies. Tricks like the ones in this article and security measures like Tor are the only defenses that the common person will have in this dystopian near future world.

Jeckel
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep