5 Ways the Atheist Community is Hurting Itself

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

5 Ways the Atheist Community is Hurting Itself

Postby AdricDePsycho » Thu May 21, 2015 5:03 pm

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-ways-athe ... ng-itself/

My attitude towards militant atheists (militists?) is much like my attitude towards the most extreme of religious fanatics: they're both hypocrites and phenomenally smug, and I refuse either path. If you're a different religion, or no religion, it doesn't matter, do NOT shove it into my face. I'm agnostic, personally, and whether it be televangelists or that Constantine cosplayer named Christopher Hitchens, I still implore you to not look down on me for my beliefs. They both have good people, but unfortunately, all the assholes get the press, and that pisses me off.

Also, the article mentions that infamously sexist piece of shit who calls himself "The Amazing Atheist" as one such militant atheist. I already know not to spew out bile at the Cracked writers, but last I checked, they never told a rape victim that "whoever raped you deserves a fucking medal". So I feel no shame when I call TJ Kincaid a disgraceful piece of shit who deserved to be fired from That Guy With The Glasses.

We all go a little mad sometimes...I'm just a little mad all of the time!
AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Knife-Wielding Lunatic

Re: 5 Ways the Atheist Community is Hurting Itself

Postby sunglasses » Thu May 21, 2015 5:17 pm

AdricDePsycho wrote:Also, the article mentions that infamously sexist piece of shit who calls himself "The Amazing Atheist" as one such militant atheist. I already know not to spew out bile at the Cracked writers, but last I checked, they never told a rape victim that "whoever raped you deserves a fucking medal". So I feel no shame when I call TJ Kincaid a disgraceful piece of shit who deserved to be fired from That Guy With The Glasses.

Wait, what?

I'm beyond confused by what you're talking about. I didn't see anything like that in the article. Are you talking about that Amazing Athiest guy?

Anyhoo, I rather thought the article was pretty spot on.

Edit: Nevermind, I googled it. For those who were also confused, here's this.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby AdricDePsycho » Thu May 21, 2015 5:27 pm

TJ Kincaid (AKA The Amazing Atheist) was mentioned in the article in the first two entries, alongside Dawkins and Hitchens, to show some of the mysoginist loons that make up the atheist vocal minority. Sorry if I confused you, I just needed to let out my feelings toward his assinine behavior...

AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Thu May 21, 2015 5:30 pm

Yeah, I know they mentioned the atheist guy but i had no idea he was that kincaid fellow nor his prior online incidents. Hence the need to google.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby gisambards » Thu May 21, 2015 5:52 pm

I liked this article. I'm a Christian, and one of my friends became a really militant atheist a few years ago. We are no longer friends, and to this day he insists it's because I wasn't respecting his views.
It's actually because every time we spoke he would at first simply imply, but later literally tell me I was an idiot who didn't believe in science (false on both counts: I believe in evolution, I believe in the Big Bang, but I also believe in God).
He would equate me to Southern evangelicals, and told me I was inherently homophobic and misogynistic (again, really wrong on both counts, and (for reasons I won't go into) vastly hypocritical).
He would tell me how Richard Dawkins was a great, clever man (which I don't think is true) and that the Pope was a Nazi (the previous pope was a member of the Hitler Youth, but that was compulsory in Nazi Germany. The current pope has never been associated with Nazism, so far as we know. Also, I'm not Catholic). He would wave The God Delusion in my face and demand that I read it, and that it would make me a better, cleverer person.
When I told him he was exactly like what he thought Christians were like (i.e. misogynistic, homophobic, desperately trying to convert everyone who thought differently to him by waving a book at them), he punched me.
In short, he was a dick. That said, I don't think he was representative of the majority of atheists. But it sounds like he was a pretty good taste of what militant atheism is like.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Thu May 21, 2015 5:58 pm

I used to watch the guy a few years back. He used to be sane, and would only really make fun of the more tumblr-y types, and then fast forward to late 2012, and he started getting too uncomfortable to watch, so I unsuscribed. Out of curiosity, I checked out his videos sometime last year, and he's like a half step away from Elliot Rodger territory.

The funny thing is, this guy? Last time I checked, he was married! Married! Isn't part of the whole "accuse the rape victim of lying" thing more of an incel thing born out of jealousy that the victim isn't accusing the incel? Why would a married man resort to accusing all rape victims of lying in the history of ever? I guess said marriage didn't work out, and that's why he's so crazy. Stupid human psychology being stupid! Why can't it be more like bear psychology?!

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby AdricDePsycho » Thu May 21, 2015 6:00 pm

Yeah, that guy sounds like a dick, Gisambards.

Also, Richard Dawkins is a nut. The biggest reason One reason why I became agnostic is because his views towards religion were very hypocritical, and because his fellow atheist, Bill Maher, is an asshole. I mean, my parents are both very liberal Christians, and they used to watch Real Time a lot. But now....my dad can't stomach his whining about Islam being evil (or his whining in general).

Last edited by AdricDePsycho on Thu May 21, 2015 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Thu May 21, 2015 6:27 pm

AdricDePsycho wrote:Yeah, that guy sounds like a dick, Gisambards.

Also, Richard Dawkins is a nut. The biggest reason why I became agnostic is because his views towards religion were very hypocritical, and because his fellow atheist, Bill Maher, is an asshole. I mean, my parents are both very liberal Christians, and they used to watch Real Time a lot. But now....my dad can't stomach his whining about Islam being evil (or his whining in general).

You're not an atheist because you personally dislike a prominent atheist? I decide on my beliefs based on which beliefs make the most sense to me, not based on how likable the members of that belief system are.

Also Richard Dawkins is not a nut. He has a bad reputation stemming from his detractors, and from some stupid statements he made on Twitter. If you look at his books, he's well reasoned and not aggressive. I believe people tend to cherry pick offensive statements from atheists, but you can do the same for Christians or any other group.
Ericthebearjew wrote:I used to watch the guy a few years back. He used to be sane, and would only really make fun of the more tumblr-y types, and then fast forward to late 2012, and he started getting too uncomfortable to watch, so I unsuscribed. Out of curiosity, I checked out his videos sometime last year, and he's like a half step away from Elliot Rodger territory.

The funny thing is, this guy? Last time I checked, he was married! Married! Isn't part of the whole "accuse the rape victim of lying" thing more of an incel thing born out of jealousy that the victim isn't accusing the incel? Why would a married man resort to accusing all rape victims of lying in the history of ever? I guess said marriage didn't work out, and that's why he's so crazy. Stupid human psychology being stupid! Why can't it be more like bear psychology?!

I had the same experience with the Amazing Atheist. I used to like him, he was funny. However, he's gotten crazier and crazier. After that incident where he said he hopes some girl drowns in "rape semen" I gave up.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby NotCIAAgent » Thu May 21, 2015 6:43 pm

My only problem nowadays with the atheist community is how politically ideological it became. I came to accept the smugness as an inevitable flaw on self declared intellectuals, and intolerance is just... omnipresent, regardless of group. But being that much ideological, be it Marxist, Fascist or Anti-West, is just dangerous.

I would even go to an extent to say their ideological fervor is to compensate the sense of purpose religion once gave them (as new atheists tend to be the most ideological), but that would be nothing more than a hunch.

sunglasses wrote:Edit: Nevermind, I googled it. For those who were also confused, here's this.

Rational Wiki is not the most unbiased place on the internet.

Spoiler: show
"He's a huge dick and rape apologist. And most of all, ANTI FEMINIST!"

Just saying.

Last edited by NotCIAAgent on Thu May 21, 2015 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NotCIAAgent
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Shitposter Extraordinaire

Postby NotCIAAgent » Thu May 21, 2015 6:48 pm

gisambards wrote:He would tell me how Richard Dawkins was a great, clever man (which I don't think is true) and that the Pope was a Nazi (the previous pope was a member of the Hitler Youth, but that was compulsory in Nazi Germany. The current pope has never been associated with Nazism, so far as we know. Also, I'm not Catholic).

Well, he's Argentinean. Argentineans and Brazilians are the usual suspects of having a bad case of the nazis.

NotCIAAgent
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby thatindianguy » Thu May 21, 2015 6:52 pm

I agree with Tess about Dawkins. And actually there's a pretty huge divide between the more political Marxist atheists and the ones that aren't.

Plus Rational wiki has been an oxymoron for a while.

thatindianguy
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby NotCIAAgent » Thu May 21, 2015 6:53 pm

Dawkins is the case of a (mostly) decent guy who have a gigantic fanbase of morons who make him look really bad. He also seems to not be too much political from what I know, so kudos for him.

NotCIAAgent
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Thu May 21, 2015 6:54 pm

I say Praise the Lord. Whether He actually exists or not, it's the polite thing to do. Seriously, what the fuck does it hurt to show deference to an Entity that might not know, care, or even exist? Humans are such prideful creatures, they gotta maintain "the principle" even when it doesn't matter.

Anyway, would those of you who do pray in earnest put in a good word about my internet service? :D

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby NotCIAAgent » Thu May 21, 2015 6:57 pm

The argument is usually not about if you pray or practice those everyday religious routines (and when it is, everyone tend to give the guy who started some death stares, from both sides), but mostly that, by being religious, you are being made into an tool by a regime that profits from your poverty and uses your ferocious dedication to defend them even when they did absolutely nothing to deserve it.

In other words, unconsciously, they equate being a religious to being a communist. But don't tell them that.

NotCIAAgent
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby thatindianguy » Thu May 21, 2015 6:58 pm

Also does anyone have a link to like an archived page of where he said that? This is a big enough deal that I'd like to see it with my own eyes before condemning him.

And as it goes without saying if he did do it fuck the son of a bitch!

thatindianguy
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Next