5 Famous Musicians Who Need To Retire

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

5 Famous Musicians Who Need To Retire

Postby AdricDePsycho » Sun May 17, 2015 8:06 pm

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-famous-mu ... to-retire/

Uh, Cher, something I need to tell you...
*slap*
Snap out of it.

We all go a little mad sometimes...I'm just a little mad all of the time!
AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Knife-Wielding Lunatic

Re: 5 Famous Musicians Who Need To Retire

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Sun May 17, 2015 8:43 pm

Hey, it's Cher Martinetti we're talking about here. She's a tumblr-y moron who chastises people who correct her in the comments after she get's caught spreading misinformation about a person or religion or whatever.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby Edgar Cabrera » Sun May 17, 2015 9:52 pm

Whoa whoa WHOA!!! Let's stop right here.

Look, I'm not mod (I think that's obvious) and by all accounts yes, Martinetti replies back in the comment section to her critics with all the touch of Han Solo saying "I know" to Leia, but isn't calling her "a tumblr-y moron" a little too much? (And this comes from someone who thought that the joke about Mick Mars looking like he's turning into stone was too much considering that said appereance comes from a bone condition.)

Last edited by Edgar Cabrera on Sun May 17, 2015 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James Bond: "Red wine with fish. Well, that should have told me something."
Red Grant: "You may know the right wines, but you're the one on your knees. How does it feel, old man?"
From Russia with Love

"This woman is an idiot without a basic grasp of the English language, and the guy is an abusive creepy weirdo."
– JamesT's review of Fifty Shades of Grey.
Edgar Cabrera
Blobber
Blobber

Show rep
Title: A Masked Brightener

Postby Marcuse » Sun May 17, 2015 9:54 pm

Gonna agree with Edgar here guys, let's keep it within the bounds of reasonable criticism of her work, not character assassination. That's not cool, nor is it intelligent or useful critique of an article. Ask yourself this, would you speak this way about someone writing for TCS like that? If the answer is no, don't speak like that about someone writing for Cracked.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sun May 17, 2015 9:58 pm

I failed to laugh. Was that intentional?

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Sun May 17, 2015 10:07 pm

Okay, maybe that was a bit much. I just don't particularly care for her lack of professionalism when it comes to being confronted about her mistakes and/or bad sources.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby AdricDePsycho » Sun May 17, 2015 11:02 pm

It's a Cracked specialty apparently to react like a baby in the fact of criticism. For one, ATB's sobriety article had him telling commentors to "eat a dick" and "die in a fire, preferably as a frustrated virgin". For another...well I think Wong set the precedent by calling us cockroaches, right?

AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Sun May 17, 2015 11:30 pm

So then say you think they're unprofessional. Someone else acting badly doesn't justify you acting badly towards them. That means you're happy doing exactly the same thing you're decrying. There's a word for that, but I can't seem to recall it right this second...

My overarching point is, if you want to criticise people's work, do so. But limit it to their work. If they do something shitty like insult people in the comments, maybe that might be a sidebar to the discussion of the article, but really it's not relevant to her work unless it's included in the content they're presenting as an article. If there's something in an actual article saying "people who disagree with me are awful and should have bad things happen to them" then it's fair game to be criticised, but they usually don't do that. So you're speaking about them in the same way you might speak about any one of us, and as such it'd be both polite and reasonable to criticise their personal behaviour in the same manner you would like to be spoken to in.

On the topic of the actual article, which I feel someone should attempt to talk about, it reads like a piece of reasonably inoffensive shovelware. It's the kind of article that gets written because we need an article for Sunday and there's nothing else on offer. It doesn't entertain much, it relies too heavily on profaning sacred cows by calling for famous rock bands to retire and isn't remotely funny. I think it's probably a below average article.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Kate » Sun May 17, 2015 11:57 pm

Yeah, I'm going to have to third a request to be civil about Cracked Writers. We have a few Cracked Writers here, and while we are by no means affiliated with Cracked, we bear them no animosity and don't want to make Cracked Writers here feel like they're going to be targeted with ridicule by association. That's, I think, the difference between calling Rush Limbaugh a bloated windbag and calling a Cracked Writer a bloated windbag, we generally extend (if not member status) some kind of friends and family deal. It's okay to vent frustration, it's okay to make observations or point out someone's flaws as a writer (including, in my opinion, their tendency to harass commenters if they have one). It's just going to make bad blood where there doesn't need to be to do so in a way that is spiteful, though.

JT's Art Thread - JamesT's awesome stuff.
Kate
Gul DuKate
Gul DuKate

Show rep
Title: Sheepwoman

Postby AdricDePsycho » Mon May 18, 2015 12:58 am

Understood. My thoughts on the article, however, are more negative then Marcuse's. One, she goes for low hanging fruit jokes by insulting Mick Mars's appearance (he has a bone condition), and attacking Ringo Starr (IT WAS FUNNY IN 1965, BUT NOT ANYMORE). She gave few reasons for WHY they should retire, and didn't even bother to call Maybe I'm Amazed by it's correct title, in addition to coming off a bit ageist, and making a bit of an idiotic statement by saying "it would have been more worth it to see The Beatles in concert back in the 60s" (which, as stated in the comments, would be arguably WORSE because nobody, not even the band themselves, could hear anything with all the screaming). Plus, she said in the comments that she KNEW Mick Mars has a bone condition. Yeah, SHE KNEW IT. I only agreed with two points:
1. Axl Rose is an asshole
2. Madonna REALLY needs to retire (and I only say that because I hate her music)

And I want to add that I don't flat out despise Cracked's writers, but I dislike the ones that call any of their critics trolls, and tell them point blank to go fuck themselves (like what ATB did). It is unprofessional to act in that way, and harms themselves more than their audience.

AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Mon May 18, 2015 1:42 am

Remember: the best thing one can do to combat those who draw your ire is be better than them.

TCS is supposed to be the best of the Cracked commenting community, ie the thing that Wong, ATB, Cher Martinetti, and many other writers and staffers despise with a burning passion. When this kind of shit comes up, we should always react with the kind of intelligence, rationality, wit, and tact that they can't fathom us having -- throwing insults, no matter how perhaps well-deserved, just conforms to what they expect of us and allows them to continue deriding all negative feedback as trolling.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby AdricDePsycho » Mon May 18, 2015 1:59 am

I'm trying not to be nasty with my comments, but I realize I am coming off as such anyways, so I'll try calming down (as I know Eric is no doubt doing too). Now I did say that certain Cracked writers have overreacted to criticism, and while I retract my "react like babies" statement, I stand by that it is unprofessional, and makes the quality of their work arguably appear worse through their poorly worded responses. It reminds me of a director that angrily retaliated at Roger Ebert giving a poor review of his film by calling him fat. Ebert, with his usual brand of wit, simply said "I can at least lose weight, but I will never be known as the director of your movie" (paraphrasing a bit here). Firing back at critics IS acceptable (under certain conditions), but using insults and acting obstinate about any flaws found in your work, and taking the time to NOT learn from the words of others who legitimatly WANT to help is flat out idiotic. And yes, some critics are unprofessional (*COUGH ARMOND WHITE COUGH*), but just because a few of them are doesn't mean ALL of them are.

AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby ThatGirlfromCracked » Mon May 18, 2015 2:14 am

Hi TCS!

I don't hate the commenters, or the comments, or you guys. Just wanted to clear that up. :)

ThatGirlfromCracked
I'm new, be gentle
I'm new, be gentle

Show rep

Postby AdricDePsycho » Mon May 18, 2015 3:04 am

ThatGirlfromCracked wrote:Hi TCS!

I don't hate the commenters, or the comments, or you guys. Just wanted to clear that up. :)

Oh, um hello. Please disregard mine and Eric's vitriol. Sometimes it's hard to keep it from coming out when we express an admitted bias towards certain authors. Glad to have you aboard, uh, no double posts, and buy gold.

AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby ThatGirlfromCracked » Mon May 18, 2015 3:08 am

Ha, it's cool. I really don't get nearly as angry or upset about things on the interwebz as people think. ;)

ThatGirlfromCracked
I'm new, be gentle
I'm new, be gentle

Show rep

Next