More Marvel HateBait

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

More Marvel HateBait

Postby AdricDePsycho » Sun May 03, 2015 7:34 pm

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-secret- ... ers-movie/
This...this is just stupid. Look Cracked, I don't care what movies your writers like or dislike, but I fucking hate it when you write these terrible articles about why they suck, and keep doing it every month. ENOUGH. I already lost faith in Katy Stoll after she blasted Agent Carter without even bothering to watch the entire show, I already despise David Christopher Bell because he usually writes this bullshit, but Sargent, I already didn't like you before, and I despise you now. Look, it doesn't matter what you say about Marvel...it will keep on going. If by some stroke of luck Fox gives up the Fantastic Four rights, and the X-Men TV series being developed gets tied into the MCU, and you STILL complain about how it will implode, take it as a hint: you've lost. Take that hint, and stop.

Also, Agents of SHIELD rocks, so fuck you.

We all go a little mad sometimes...I'm just a little mad all of the time!
AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Knife-Wielding Lunatic

Re: More Marvel HateBait

Postby DamianaRaven » Sun May 03, 2015 7:49 pm

I think that would have been perfect without the "fuck you" at the end. In my opinion, it's quite all right to tear a writer's work apart word by word, but we shouldn't let those criticisms morph into a tone of personal hostility. I'd like it if all the Cracked writers could feel welcome to come here to talk about their work or get to know their readers without seeing personal insults or confrontational profanity.

Of course, I'm no moderator - this is just friendly advice. As I said up front, everything else you wrote was reasonably within the boundaries of Behave Yourself. I'd just rather we save our "fuck you's" for them that deserve it.

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Sun May 03, 2015 7:51 pm

Are half the cracked staff failed independent movie screenwriters, or something? I can't help but detect an ounce of bitter jealousy in their writing.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby DamianaRaven » Sun May 03, 2015 7:57 pm

There does seem a prevailing tone of contempt for all "blockbuster" movie franchises. I just figured it was another variety of pretentious click bait.

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby AdricDePsycho » Sun May 03, 2015 8:02 pm

DamianaRaven wrote:I think that would have been perfect without the "fuck you" at the end. In my opinion, it's quite all right to tear a writer's work apart word by word, but we shouldn't let those criticisms morph into a tone of personal hostility. I'd like it if all the Cracked writers could feel welcome to come here to talk about their work or get to know their readers without seeing personal insults or confrontational profanity.

Of course, I'm no moderator - this is just friendly advice. As I said up front, everything else you wrote was reasonably within the boundaries of Behave Yourself. I'd just rather we save our "fuck you's" for them that deserve it.

Point taken, though the ending "fuck you" was intended as a dash of humor. But the thing is, Cracked has been writing articles like this for a long time, and it keeps getting more and more annoying.

AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sun May 03, 2015 8:08 pm

Wha??? Another article that knocks something I love? Something that clearly rocks? Why they should love it! And if they don't then they shouldn't tell us that they don't because no one, and I mean no one, agrees! Now if you don't mind I've got an article to read so that I can clearly and consistently point out why the author is wrong and sucks pina colada through the nose of a hippo.

They want attention Adric. And unfortunately people are reading the articles so that they can then pick them apart. Fortunately for Cracked all they want is for people to read the article which they obviously are so that they can tell Cracked how much they suck. It's kinda a Catch 22 for us readers.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby FaceTheCitizen » Sun May 03, 2015 8:13 pm

FaceTheCitizen
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Thot Patrol

Postby DamianaRaven » Sun May 03, 2015 8:13 pm

It's possible that your frustration is misdirected, Grasshopper. Let me ask you this - what is the average view count for the kind of articles you're getting sick of seeing? If it's in the high six figures, it could be persuasively argued that they're just writing what people are wont to click on and read and comment about. Journalistic integrity is all well and good, but The Internet has created a market where common sense and moderation do not pay the bills. When someone is trying to write for a living, they sometimes have to pander to their audience. It can be very easy to hate them for it - the fact that people have been proven to get high on hatred is probably the reason outrageous, inflammatory bullshit sells so well.

DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby AdricDePsycho » Sun May 03, 2015 8:27 pm

DamianaRaven wrote:It's possible that your frustration is misdirected, Grasshopper. Let me ask you this - what is the average view count for the kind of articles you're getting sick of seeing? If it's in the high six figures, it could be persuasively argued that they're just writing what people are wont to click on and read and comment about. Journalistic integrity is all well and good, but The Internet has created a market where common sense and moderation do not pay the bills. When someone is trying to write for a living, they sometimes have to pander to their audience. It can be very easy to hate them for it - the fact that people have been proven to get high on hatred is probably the reason outrageous, inflammatory bullshit sells so well.

Well, just from search in "Marvel" on Cracked, I got all of these articles that meet the criteria for hatebait:
http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/4-re ... -are-same/
http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-things-th ... s-awesome/
http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/4-re ... troy-them/
http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-reasons-a ... el-movies/
http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/how- ... ns-galaxy/
http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/5-we ... vel-movie/

AdricDePsycho
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Sun May 03, 2015 8:38 pm

The average view count for the six articles you listed is just shy of half a million. (499059.167) I think that's a moderately successful number by most standards.

DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Askias » Sun May 03, 2015 8:43 pm

I think you're giving Sargent too much credit. I got a feeling it wasn't a succesful 'hate bait' article. I got a feeling of a failed 'deep insight' article.

Sargent stretches and reaches constantly to find a very superficial similarity between the point he wants to make and the movie. He never got this idea from the AoU movie and I doubt he even paid that close attention to his supposedly found 'metaphor'. He also focussed too much on movies and pretended this model is new (heck even in movies francises aren't new at all, this is just francise crossed with spin-off), which he then tried to spin as 'a new way of moviemaking'. I think Sargent thought his observations on the Marvel movie model were somehow intelligent and he really wanted an excuse to show off how much of a deep thinker he is. I wouldn't be surprised if Sargent seriously thought this was thought-provoking, instead if just another Cracked writer commenting on things he understands nothing of.

I don't think he was trying to piss people off. He just found an excuse to go on a long, poorly-thought out lecture on movies and art. E+, not researched, barely considered, poorly written allround. And not humorous, which is an annoying trend in halfassed Cracked articles.

If there be here lesson or moral, it lies beyond the competence of him who wrote this post.
(Jack Vance, Emphyrio)
Askias
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Night Owl

Postby DamianaRaven » Sun May 03, 2015 8:49 pm

Here's an article bashing DC Comics... just to keep things balanced.

DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Sun May 03, 2015 8:49 pm

Age of Ultron didn't do anything particularly new as far as the Marvel movies go but it was entertaining. Its the same movie as many of the others if you specifically go by a
Spoiler: show
"Witty person and friends attack witty villain who tried to turn them against each other and omg an entire world is at stake"
criteria. I hope nobody finds that to be a spoiler. Okay, its a spoiler now.

Obviously I haven't read the cracked article, I've been taking it one day at a time but kicking my cracked addiction was a good thing. Just think. If you quit going there then they won't miss you. I replaced it with TCS. Apart from the occasional ransom demands by -redacted due to pending criminal case- there's no drama and the only pop-ups you'll see are thumb related.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Edgar Cabrera » Sun May 03, 2015 9:12 pm

You know that when Damiana ask you to not get so hot-blooded for something is a good sign that you should probably not get so hot-blooded for it.

Full disclosure, I like Marvel movies too, even those ones who got a lukewarm reception, and yeah, I grew bothered of those Cracked articles antagonizing them (and admittedly I've been spoken about it), but my line of thinking about it is similar to what NathanLoiselle posted (except for the thick sarcasm. I'm not good at it.) Who knows? Maybe they want clicks and with these kind of articles they'll get them from people who'll read the articles so that they can then pick them apart (and probably also tell Cracked how much they think they suck while they're at it), maybe that's their honest opinion about those movies. I bet this one probably had, again, something about how these movies made "a new way of filmmaking" that are destroying traditional filmmaking and probably a joke or two about the Vision being a flying brick.

Or something about his actor being in that Johnny Depp mustache-themed movie.

James Bond: "Red wine with fish. Well, that should have told me something."
Red Grant: "You may know the right wines, but you're the one on your knees. How does it feel, old man?"
From Russia with Love

"This woman is an idiot without a basic grasp of the English language, and the guy is an abusive creepy weirdo."
– JamesT's review of Fifty Shades of Grey.
Edgar Cabrera
Blobber
Blobber

Show rep
Title: A Masked Brightener

Postby DamianaRaven » Sun May 03, 2015 9:15 pm

Edgar Cabrera wrote:You know that when Damiana ask you to not get so hot-blooded for something is a good sign that you should probably not get so hot-blooded for it.

Thank you.... I think?

DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Next