6 Reasons (Beyond Racism) Why Cops Keep Killing People

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

6 Reasons (Beyond Racism) Why Cops Keep Killing People

Postby FieldMarshalFry » Sun May 03, 2015 1:13 pm

http://www.cracked.com/article_21880_6- ... eople.html

it criticises gun culture so I have a feeling it is going to get very controversial soon

Supreme Commander of the Imperial Royal Cracked Army (also The Comments Section Militia), currently commanding the retake of the Troll Mines of 4chan in World Internet War 1, direct superior to Major. General Obvious, General Ignorance and General Knowledge.
FieldMarshalFry
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep
Title: Field Marshal of TCS

Re: 6 Reasons (Beyond Racism) Why Cops Keep Killing People

Postby subotai » Sun May 03, 2015 3:17 pm

Yeah, Im not sure I even want to read that article. Cracked hasn't the best track record on sensitive issues.

Take the plastic bag challenge to cure stupidity.
subotai
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby ShuaiGuy » Sun May 03, 2015 3:36 pm

<Redacted>

Last edited by ShuaiGuy on Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShuaiGuy
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sun May 03, 2015 5:05 pm

6. lack of famililarity
5. giant toes
4. angry private lives
3. mark zuckerburg
2. mark zuckerburg
1. gun inequality

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby EstebanColberto » Sun May 03, 2015 6:13 pm

It doesn't help that there's basically only two political ideologies in this country. It's true that people join one party or the other for different reasons, but then they'll watch the news network of whichever party you like better then suddenly you really care about guns when all you wanted was a tax cut. It's funny how when I think back to my college days, I'd start forming opinions that didn't make sense.

Air America used to talk about why school vouchers were bad cause it violated the part of the first amendment that said the government can't promote one religion over the other cause people would use the vouchers to send their kids to religious schools. It's a flawed argument cause it's not making anyone go to those schools. It gives you the choice of which school to send your kid so it's not really promoting anything, but I believed it. Then I read an article from a less biased news source that school voucher programs were used in some Scandinavian country and apparently it works there. Then I read another article about how Democrats were pushing for school vouchers in the 90s, just like Republicans used to push for healthcare reform that was similar to what Obamacare is now. That's when I realized it was never about the vouchers. They simply picked it apart just because they couldn't admit that Bush may have had one good idea. It was all about motivating me to get out to vote for their man.

So we have only two parties and neither one can budge on any issue and the issues keep changing cause it really is more about winning the next election than anything else and we have no compromising third party that can mediate between the two. And the President has to win half the vote, so that's why you see Republican candidates from places like New Hampshire taking photos of themselves next to their gun collection they don't really own. I wonder how different this country would be if we had a Parliamentary system like nearly everyone else.

EstebanColberto
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sun May 03, 2015 6:26 pm

All I heard was ... blah, blah, Bush had a good idea, I'm a cwazy mofo!, blah, something blah.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby EstebanColberto » Sun May 03, 2015 11:25 pm

NathanLoiselle wrote:All I heard was ... blah, blah, Bush had a good idea, I'm a cwazy mofo!, blah, something blah.

Thanks Nathan. I needed that. I realize I've been behaving strange lately. When I first posted my thoughts here, I was being honest and truthful, but now I keep trying to one up myself on how awesome and open-minded I am because I like it when I get upvotes. I'm becoming a social justice warrior. Just not your garden variety social justice warrior.

I'm going to clear my mind for a few days and try not to think about world issues so much and try not to act like some kind of Bizarro hipster.

EstebanColberto
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Mon May 04, 2015 12:22 am

Really? I thought I was being a bit of a dick there. I mean politics will just drive you nuts if you take them seriously. But is that really any excuse for Bush having a good idea? :P

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby FieldMarshalFry » Mon May 04, 2015 1:37 am

wait, are we talking about something else here? I lost it at "Bush had a good idea" and haven't be able to stop laughing since

Supreme Commander of the Imperial Royal Cracked Army (also The Comments Section Militia), currently commanding the retake of the Troll Mines of 4chan in World Internet War 1, direct superior to Major. General Obvious, General Ignorance and General Knowledge.
FieldMarshalFry
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep
Title: Field Marshal of TCS

Postby Crimson847 » Mon May 04, 2015 6:07 am

The article was pretty decent, except the tone-deaf section on guns. Didn't provide any real answers to the problem, but providing answers doesn't seem to be the article's premise.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Andropov4 » Thu May 07, 2015 10:29 pm

EstebanColberto wrote:It doesn't help that there's basically only two political ideologies in this country. It's true that people join one party or the other for different reasons, but then they'll watch the news network of whichever party you like better then suddenly you really care about guns when all you wanted was a tax cut. It's funny how when I think back to my college days, I'd start forming opinions that didn't make sense.

Air America used to talk about why school vouchers were bad cause it violated the part of the first amendment that said the government can't promote one religion over the other cause people would use the vouchers to send their kids to religious schools. It's a flawed argument cause it's not making anyone go to those schools. It gives you the choice of which school to send your kid so it's not really promoting anything, but I believed it. Then I read an article from a less biased news source that school voucher programs were used in some Scandinavian country and apparently it works there. Then I read another article about how Democrats were pushing for school vouchers in the 90s, just like Republicans used to push for healthcare reform that was similar to what Obamacare is now. That's when I realized it was never about the vouchers. They simply picked it apart just because they couldn't admit that Bush may have had one good idea. It was all about motivating me to get out to vote for their man.

So we have only two parties and neither one can budge on any issue and the issues keep changing cause it really is more about winning the next election than anything else and we have no compromising third party that can mediate between the two. And the President has to win half the vote, so that's why you see Republican candidates from places like New Hampshire taking photos of themselves next to their gun collection they don't really own. I wonder how different this country would be if we had a Parliamentary system like nearly everyone else.

That's not really true, though. We only have two major political parties, but an examination of the constituent members reveals that they actually have a range of beliefs in each. Furthermore, when you poll the American people, you find that most of them have a mix of opinions and beliefs from all over the political spectrum. The most visible people may just be blind followers of party ideology, but most people are not.

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a lamb."- Ryan Stiles

Jenna is mine.
Andropov4
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Rhetorically Correct Rascal

Postby scary-mike » Thu May 07, 2015 11:53 pm

5 and 6 aren't "reasons" for anything and 1 really only makes the cut if the police are shooting people specifically because they know they don't have to answer for it and there's really no case made for that in the article. The article is an analysis of some of the less publicized or understood dynamics police brutality and makes a few good points but it's been packaged as clickbait. Beyond whether it's good or not it didn't come from a good place.

scary-mike
Commenter
Commenter

Location: In the corner of your eye, just so barely within your field of vision.
Show rep
Title: Just the Wind. Go back to bed.