Sexism In India

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

Sexism In India

Postby DamianaRaven » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:09 pm

This really sucks. Why does it have to be that way - is it religion, or some other cultural influence?

Last edited by DamianaRaven on Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

So, why is America such a shithole for women?

Postby OrwellianSouffle » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:55 pm

This really sucks. Why does it have to be that way - is it religion, or some other cultural influence?

OrwellianSouffle
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep
Title: ButtCommander

Re: So, why is India such a shithole for women?

Postby thatindianguy » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:09 pm

You want the long story or the short one.

The short one is, 'It's whatever reason you come up with save for genetics'.

thatindianguy
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby thatindianguy » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:11 pm

Also beat me to it Raven .

thatindianguy
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Re: So, why is America such a shithole for women?

Postby Tesseracts » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:16 pm

OrwellianSouffle wrote:This really sucks. Why does it have to be that way - is it religion, or some other cultural influence?

I don't think that's fair. Life is safer and more free for women in America than in most other parts of the world. Being sold into sex slavery is an exceptional circumstance, but these gender specific rules are an everyday reality in parts of India and many parts of the world. That's not to say I believe India is all about being raped 24/7, but I believe there is an issue there.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby DamianaRaven » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:17 pm

OrwellianSouffle wrote:This really sucks. Why does it have to be that way - is it religion, or some other cultural influence?

Both, actually. Christianity has some pretty fucked up ideas about slavery. Then again, you didn't really want to know what I think about that article.

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby ShuaiGuy » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:18 pm

<Redacted>

Last edited by ShuaiGuy on Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShuaiGuy
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:24 pm

Since I'm clearly going blind and/or retarded, could someone please show me where I "painted all of India with "that article's brush"?

DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby thatindianguy » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:29 pm

I didn't either. I mentioned that the bigger cities are safer but i can't deny that on average we're less safe than America and most of the west.

thatindianguy
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:30 pm

DamianaRaven wrote:Since I'm clearly going blind and/or retarded, could someone please show me where I "painted all of India with "that article's brush"?

I suppose that can be inferred from you calling India a "shithole," a statement that can definitely be seen as offensive to people who live in India. The only evidence you provided that India is a shithole is that article.

I believe this is far from the ideal way to begin this discussion, but the question is one I find interesting. Gender equality is in a worse state in some places than others, and I'd like to know why that is.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby NotCIAAgent » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:35 pm

Tesseracts wrote:
DamianaRaven wrote:Since I'm clearly going blind and/or retarded, could someone please show me where I "painted all of India with "that article's brush"?

I suppose that can be inferred from you calling India a "shithole," a statement that can definitely be seen as offensive to people who live in India. The only evidence you provided that India is a shithole is that article.

I believe this is far from the ideal way to begin this discussion, but the question is one I find interesting. Gender equality is in a worse state in some places than others, and I'd like to know why that is.

Eh, they have (had?) a female prime minister.

Women are raped and stuff but hey, no glass ceiling. That makes them 300% better than the entire west according to some.

PS: sleep deprived.

PS 2:

To be fair, it is expected to be touched in all crevices riding a train like this one.

Last edited by NotCIAAgent on Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
NotCIAAgent
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Shitposter Extraordinaire

Postby thatindianguy » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:37 pm

Well yeah going 'shithole' is a little inflammatory. I mean i kind of agree but you could stand to be just a scooch more diplomatic. it's like family, you can call your mom a bitch but you'll knock anyone else who does it flat on their ass.

As for the reasons... I guess it's because efforts to create more equal societies just spread at different rates in different places for reasons that are too numerous to list if we're being realistic here.

thatindianguy
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby thatindianguy » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:38 pm

NotCIAAgent wrote:
Tesseracts wrote:

Eh, they have a female prime minister.

Women are raped and stuff but hey, no glass ceiling. That makes them 300% better than the entire west according to some.

PS: sleep deprived.

Had. And she sort of suspended democracy for two years when it looked like she might get the boot.

Of course as it turns out no one else could actually do the job so we voted her back in.

thatindianguy
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby NotCIAAgent » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:41 pm

Well, I am Brazilian, I can call Brazil a shithole the entire day. But for outsiders, a foreigner calling another country a shithole is offensive. Some people just don't like seeing someone shit talking someone's else thing, be it race, religion, or nationality. Which is not a bad sentiment, you see. Just unnecessary sometimes.

Not saying this one was, though.

thatindianguy wrote:Had. And she sort of suspended democracy for two years when it looked like she might get the boot.

Of course as it turns out no one else could actually do the job so we voted her back in.

Learn with Brazil and India, America.

NotCIAAgent
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Shitposter Extraordinaire

Postby DamianaRaven » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:45 pm

Tesseracts wrote:I suppose that can be inferred from you calling India a "shithole," a statement that can definitely be seen as offensive to people who live in India.

Fair enough - I've changed the title to something less inflammatory.

DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Next